Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by swillie
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hello to all. Just acquired Firepower II and working out the gremlins. Players 1 and 3 first digit is out, but my bigger concern right now is that all displays strobe from left to right. I will post a video link later, but it you imagine in attract mode the displays might strobe from left to right over and over. Even coin and player displays do this. Not sure if it is supposed to. But once you start a game I woukd think the displays should go solid, but they continue to strobe at all times. You can read the scores but it is annoying. It is not like a loose connection or a flickering, they all light up bright and fade left to right in unison. The machine does have a Rottendog CPU/driver board. Could this be programmed this way intentionally? It just seems too uniform motion to be a failing component, but my experience with solid state games is in its infancy.

Any tips / insight would be most appreciated.

#2 9 years ago

I have rebuilt stock boards, my displays do not do this.

#3 9 years ago

I had the same problem on a Black Knight (System7 boardset, same as Firepower II).
It turned out that the IRQ signal was not being generated correctly. It is supposed to be low for 30 us, then high for 970us. If you have a scope, you can check this at Test Point #5 (on an original CPU board...don't know if the test points are the same on the Rottendog).

I don't recall exactly which IC failed, but it was one of the 74LS parts that are used in generating the IRQ...probably IC11 or IC5 (on an original CPU board).

#4 9 years ago

Can't comment on the RD board and the effect it could be having on your displays.

Disconnect all the displays and then hook them up one by one. Move displays around as well as ribbon cables. You're looking to see if the problem follows the displays or stays put. If the latter then you may have a problem with the MDB.

Check the components on the Master Display Board. The schematic for it is in the Black Knight manual:

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/310/Williams_1980_Black_Knight_Schematic_Diagrams_paginated.pdf

You could have bad resistors on the board - you'll need a multimeter to check them.

If the resistors check out you then need to check the 6184s and 7180s on the board. You can follow the procedure here:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7#Master_Display_Drivers_for_System_3_to_6

However, the Pinwiki procedure is not foolproof. I just repaired one of these boards where IC1 tested fine as well as all the resistors on the board but still had a locked on segment. Replaced IC1 and the displays then worked properly.

If the MDB checks out, contact Jim at Rottendog and ask for help.

viperrwk

#5 9 years ago

Thanks for the input...

The blinking/stobing affects every display. I started with a look at the HV section of the power supply. The traces the caps are soldered to are coming away from the board.
The +100v is outputting 97v...
The -100 is only outputting 48v...

Please let me know if I am correct in thinking I should replace the power supply before I even bother to proceed. Even if I can and could try fixing the board with jumper wires, I don't like it. I ordered an XPIN power supply and I will see if it was just the low voltage causing all this. Than I can maybe upgrade to Blue led displays and skip the HV all together.

2 of the displays have the ones digit out, I can see about trying to fix those in the meanwhile, if that is even possible. Was going to move them to player 3 and 4 since they will hardly be used there.

#7 9 years ago

The article even states that one of the HV caps was only producing 50v, like mine, and that it gave the displays a lagey, strobe like effect. Now I feel very confident this is the problem.

The traces one of those caps solder to is peeling right off the board. I could just jump it, in fact the cap could be okay but losing power because of the board. I just don't want to mess with it. Not that I couldn't read up and fix it, but if I caused damage to the other boards, or even worse, a fire? The machine has a rottendog cpu/driver board, and a modern replacement sound board. With the Xpin power supply, this should be a very reliable pin.

#8 9 years ago

1 and 3 player single unit out...both are strobe 8, traced schematic back to the connector at driver board, reseated the connector and they are all working now. Getting closer.

#9 9 years ago

Success!! The XPIN arrived today. The GI lighting connector was broke off the old supply and the wires were soldered straight to board. I wasn't about to hack the new one so I hooked up the appropriate connector and installed it. Perfect, all the displays hold solid as they should.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Tools
Pincoder Store

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-ii-display-strobing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.