• Firepower II 19 votes
    28%
  • They are equally fun. 7 votes
    10%

(68 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KIMG0227 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swillie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Can I ask Firepower II owners...
What is up with the left flipper top right orbit shot... Does that even work? I find that area of the PF most confusing.
thanks!
-mof

No orbit shot possible with left flipper...you can bank off of O target and pass to right of ball lock up there and ball will travel as with plunger shot along wireform and thru a 1way gate into upper lanes. A 1way gate above left upper checkout halts ball from completing an orbit and only allows for the right flipper shot thru the left orbit and over the wire form at upper right, opening that gate to score the orbit. If you hit it during the 10 second countdown after completing any 3 bank it carrys bonus point progress to next ball and rings a loud bell in cabinet. If I had to find something to knock FPII down for it is that you cant make that shot clean off left flipper to the upper right and into the lanes. You can bang the left orbit and fall short into them sometimes, or thru the pops, but the only sure way is to lock a ball so you can send the next plunger shot up there.
My FP2 has the added speech card and Firepower speech roms which it does use. The left ramp is challenging but very makeable. When set up correctly this game is bad ass. Have played Firepower plenty, and love it, but as great a game as it is, the speed flow and shot choices on FPII beat it easily, no contest. 2 of FP1's ball locks on FPII fly around the table and back at the flippers. Multiball is much harder to achieve on FP1, very rewarding but drains so fast usually. Multiball on FPII is much easier, but the shot straight thru the pops is tough, it gives that upper target more purpose and when you hit it you can keep multiball going for awhile sometimes. Too fun.

Added over 8 years ago:

1 week later
#19 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Thanks for posting!
1. I saw you make the right orbit shot once, so at least it's "possible" to make. Does it have any value?
no value other than a good way to get up top, each time you complete the abcd lanes it advances the bonus multiplier.

2. Why do only go for the lower left ramp once? I would have thought if there are new ROMs, that that shot would be better incorporated into the game? When are you supposed to go for it?
when ball falls thru the right inlane, it lights the ramp (red) for a random point value up to 99,000 I think.
once you complete all 9 'firepower' standups 3 times it lights the ramp with the yellow arrow, which scores an extra ball, that's when I try and often fail to hit it, lol.

3. What are the most fun shots? Looks like the left orbit with the bell is the winner. What are you supposed to do after that shot?
everytime you complete 1 of the 3 bank standups the red arrow lights the left orbit, hitting it lights the bonus carryover, so on ball drain you score the bonus (X multiplier) and on your next ball your bonus is relit where you had it built up to. Fill the bonus and light 5X multiplier and on ball drain the bonus sound climbs really hi till the sound starts to pulse/stutter, probably the most satisfying moment in the game and always a goal. Everytime you lock a ball and hit center target to realease it the value of those shots increases, really gets the score climbing. Left orbit bell shot is great, and sending the ball straight thru the pops to hit multiball is tough but fun. Ramp shot is always fun too, sorry I never hit it on that video. Another tough shot is to catch ball on right flipper and then back hand it into the ball lock, it is a difficult but makeable shot.

4. Are there any hurry ups?
The left orbit bonus carryover is a 10 second hurry up, as is the left ramp random point score.

5. Next video, I want to see some dead bounce passes. (ha!)
Lol, I have to work on that technique, I am not a great player but I enjoy it immensely.
-mof

#23 7 years ago

The software for FPII has speech callouts in the code, if a bit limited. Maybe the original FP code was used for it and they were left in. So I just added this speech board with FP roms from here...

http://www.pinballpcb.com/SpeechBoard.html

My FPII sound board had the 40 pin IDE interconnect as it was replaced at some point, so it only cost $60 and shipping to add the speech. I think the original sound board did not have the 40 pin, so if that is the case you can purchase the sound/speech boards on same page linked above. Works great, once you get the jumpers and dip switches and volume set correctly.

One drawback is that FPII has some great sounds that occassional get cut off short by the speech. When I first put the speech in I noticed it right away, but at this point I forget specifically when it happens. But hey, it talks which is cool.

8 months later
#26 7 years ago
Quoted from jojo97222:

What is the lane change feature and how does it work in Firepower II?

The 4 ABCD lanes at the top of the playfield can be cycled with the right flipper button. So if you have 'A' lit than each time you hit the right flipper it moves the lit lane to the right, A-B-C-D-A-B-C-D ect. so you are trying to move the lit lanes out of the way of the ball. Each time you lite all 4 lanes it advances the bonus multiplier.

3 years later
#34 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxon:

How is it not possible? I have completed the orbit several times with the left Flipper, it comes out very rarely but it can

It is a very tight shot to make but it can be done...what I meant is that the right lane really is not an orbit as it does not roll all the way around and back down toward the flippers because of the one way gate.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swillie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-i-and-ii?tu=swillie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.