28%
  • They are equally fun. 7 votes
    10%

(68 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KIMG0227 (resized).JPG
#1 10 years ago

Has anyone ever played both Firepower and Firepower II ?
Can you describe the difference between the games ?
Is one more fun to play, or have better visuals / sounds ?
Trying to make a decision for the next hunt.

thanks!
-mof

#2 10 years ago

Both have a similar layout with six sat ups, 4 pops, but firepower II has no speech, and only two ball multiball with a ramp to lock the ball. Same sounds pretty much.

#3 10 years ago

No speech in II ? Surprised to hear that.
There are times I'm playing a Mark Ritchie, where I think his trademark 2-ball multiball is a good choice.
I wonder -- which multiball feels better with the similar layouts for Firepower I and II ... 2 or 3 ?
-mof

#5 10 years ago

Looking at the PF for Firepower II -- wondering if the upper right orbit can be made from the left flipper?
-mof

#6 10 years ago

Firepower all the way. The ramp on FP2 is a bitch to hit on every one I've played. If you want a better 2 ball multiball, 1 ramp Mark Ritchie game, play Sorcerer.

Ron...

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Gizmonic:

Firepower all the way. The ramp on FP2 is a bitch to hit on every one I've played. If you want a better 2 ball multiball, 1 ramp Mark Ritchie game, play Sorcerer.
Ron...

What he said

#8 10 years ago

I would go for Firepower.
Upgrade it with a system-7 board and implement the new rule set.
3 ball multiball and missions!!
http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_softfirepowerdeluxe.html
It plays great in PinMame.

Peter
www.inkochnito.nl

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

very cool!

Hans H: any chance of incorporating this new firmware into your all-ROMS-in-one Firepower combo board?

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

Do your ROM upgrades require going to the system-7 board?

#11 10 years ago

Unfortunately, it wouldn't work for a couple reasons. One is licensing, since the improved code isn't approved by WMS or PPS. The other issue is that it also needs more RAM and ROM space than a system 6 board can handle. It has to be used with a System 7 CPU board.

-Hans

#12 10 years ago

I have a soft spot for 2. It was the first pinball game I really spent time on. I want one someday. Firepower 1 never did it for me. The upgrade sounds very interesting though.

1 week later
#13 10 years ago

Can I ask Firepower II owners...

What is up with the left flipper top right orbit shot... Does that even work? I find that area of the PF most confusing.

thanks!
-mof

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from mbarthelow:

Do your ROM upgrades require going to the system-7 board?

Oliver does have a skill shot/multiball restart ROM version for Sys6 boards with 6 digit displays:

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

But requires the extra space in a system 7 board for the mission-based version.

viperrwk

#15 10 years ago

While I certainly appreciate the time and effort that went into making the FP home ROMs, I ended up removing them from my game and going back to the original factory rules. For me, FP rules are near perfect the way they are (plus, the skill shot in the home ROM is worth way too much IMO).

2 years later
#16 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Can I ask Firepower II owners...
What is up with the left flipper top right orbit shot... Does that even work? I find that area of the PF most confusing.
thanks!
-mof

No orbit shot possible with left flipper...you can bank off of O target and pass to right of ball lock up there and ball will travel as with plunger shot along wireform and thru a 1way gate into upper lanes. A 1way gate above left upper checkout halts ball from completing an orbit and only allows for the right flipper shot thru the left orbit and over the wire form at upper right, opening that gate to score the orbit. If you hit it during the 10 second countdown after completing any 3 bank it carrys bonus point progress to next ball and rings a loud bell in cabinet. If I had to find something to knock FPII down for it is that you cant make that shot clean off left flipper to the upper right and into the lanes. You can bang the left orbit and fall short into them sometimes, or thru the pops, but the only sure way is to lock a ball so you can send the next plunger shot up there.
My FP2 has the added speech card and Firepower speech roms which it does use. The left ramp is challenging but very makeable. When set up correctly this game is bad ass. Have played Firepower plenty, and love it, but as great a game as it is, the speed flow and shot choices on FPII beat it easily, no contest. 2 of FP1's ball locks on FPII fly around the table and back at the flippers. Multiball is much harder to achieve on FP1, very rewarding but drains so fast usually. Multiball on FPII is much easier, but the shot straight thru the pops is tough, it gives that upper target more purpose and when you hit it you can keep multiball going for awhile sometimes. Too fun.

Added over 8 years ago:

1 week later
#17 7 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

Added yesterday:

Thanks for posting!

1. I saw you make the right orbit shot once, so at least it's "possible" to make. Does it have any value?

2. Why do only go for the lower left ramp once? I would have thought if there are new ROMs, that that shot would be better incorporated into the game? When are you supposed to go for it?

3. What are the most fun shots? Looks like the left orbit with the bell is the winner. What are you supposed to do after that shot?

4. Are there any hurry ups?

5. Next video, I want to see some dead bounce passes. (ha!)

-mof

#18 7 years ago

Owned FP have played FPII and liked both but FP better. First game with lane change future. Has speech and 3 ball multiball. Can get some real action going between the 4 pop bumps. I sort of like Sorcerer better than FPII as far as early Mark Ritchie pins. Playfield shots just seem better designed to me. I rarely see either FPII or Sorcerer. I think all of the pins are available on Pinball Aracde, interesting.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Thanks for posting!
1. I saw you make the right orbit shot once, so at least it's "possible" to make. Does it have any value?
no value other than a good way to get up top, each time you complete the abcd lanes it advances the bonus multiplier.

2. Why do only go for the lower left ramp once? I would have thought if there are new ROMs, that that shot would be better incorporated into the game? When are you supposed to go for it?
when ball falls thru the right inlane, it lights the ramp (red) for a random point value up to 99,000 I think.
once you complete all 9 'firepower' standups 3 times it lights the ramp with the yellow arrow, which scores an extra ball, that's when I try and often fail to hit it, lol.

3. What are the most fun shots? Looks like the left orbit with the bell is the winner. What are you supposed to do after that shot?
everytime you complete 1 of the 3 bank standups the red arrow lights the left orbit, hitting it lights the bonus carryover, so on ball drain you score the bonus (X multiplier) and on your next ball your bonus is relit where you had it built up to. Fill the bonus and light 5X multiplier and on ball drain the bonus sound climbs really hi till the sound starts to pulse/stutter, probably the most satisfying moment in the game and always a goal. Everytime you lock a ball and hit center target to realease it the value of those shots increases, really gets the score climbing. Left orbit bell shot is great, and sending the ball straight thru the pops to hit multiball is tough but fun. Ramp shot is always fun too, sorry I never hit it on that video. Another tough shot is to catch ball on right flipper and then back hand it into the ball lock, it is a difficult but makeable shot.

4. Are there any hurry ups?
The left orbit bonus carryover is a 10 second hurry up, as is the left ramp random point score.

5. Next video, I want to see some dead bounce passes. (ha!)
Lol, I have to work on that technique, I am not a great player but I enjoy it immensely.
-mof

#20 7 years ago

Your skills look just fine...

It's a great move to learn. All you do is -- nothing !!! Just let that bad boy bounce across, then raise the other flipper and trap it (or just shoot it live) Sometimes (when the ball is moving a little slow), you can up-nudge the whole table to get a little more on the pass if you wanna. Do eeet.

Why do it? To get that ball off the left flipper and over to the right to make more of those left orbit shots.

-mof

#21 7 years ago

I like the bonus holdover feature on the last ball of FP2. When you think you've got all your bonuses, a sequence of lights flash and the game 'machine guns' all these extra bonuses...very cool. Is it very involved adding speech from FP1 to FP2?

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

Is it very involved adding speech from FP1 to FP2?

Probably. I'd imagine that you'd have to somehow reprogram the ROMs to tell the sound board to send signals to the speech board to make the call outs.

#23 7 years ago

The software for FPII has speech callouts in the code, if a bit limited. Maybe the original FP code was used for it and they were left in. So I just added this speech board with FP roms from here...

http://www.pinballpcb.com/SpeechBoard.html

My FPII sound board had the 40 pin IDE interconnect as it was replaced at some point, so it only cost $60 and shipping to add the speech. I think the original sound board did not have the 40 pin, so if that is the case you can purchase the sound/speech boards on same page linked above. Works great, once you get the jumpers and dip switches and volume set correctly.

One drawback is that FPII has some great sounds that occassional get cut off short by the speech. When I first put the speech in I noticed it right away, but at this point I forget specifically when it happens. But hey, it talks which is cool.

#24 7 years ago

50v flipper coils make FPII more fun for me. The original Firepower flippers have always felt a bit spongy to me. Steve was ahead of his time, designing orbit shots when the hardware could barely make them.

FPII also has an awesome "bonus meltdown" when you max it out.

8 months later
#25 7 years ago

What is the lane change feature and how does it work in Firepower II?

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from jojo97222:

What is the lane change feature and how does it work in Firepower II?

The 4 ABCD lanes at the top of the playfield can be cycled with the right flipper button. So if you have 'A' lit than each time you hit the right flipper it moves the lit lane to the right, A-B-C-D-A-B-C-D ect. so you are trying to move the lit lanes out of the way of the ball. Each time you lite all 4 lanes it advances the bonus multiplier.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

The 4 ABCD lanes at the top of the playfield can be cycled with the right flipper button. So if you have 'A' lit than each time you hit the right flipper it moves the lit lane to the right, A-B-C-D-A-B-C-D ect. so you are trying to move the lit lanes out of the way of the ball. Each time you lite all 4 lanes it advances the bonus multiplier.

Thank you for this reply!

#28 7 years ago

I own firepower 1.. IL never sell it.. the speech the multi ball the everythinge makes it great ...
But IL play 2 anytime I'm near it..
To purchase?? I'd go 1 ..

#29 7 years ago

I've never seen or played a FP 2. I liked the original.

#30 7 years ago

I know FP1 is the canon pin here, but there was an FP2 at a coffee shop I lived next to when I was first getting into pinball that I spent hours on and playing it always makes me feel giddy. It's just a really good pin. I love that ramp shot.

4 months later
#31 6 years ago

I like FPII. This game is super fast with lots of multi-balls. The flippers are as strong as the newer pins. Bonus holdover is awesome and the sounds are cool. FPII just feels like a newer/faster/funner game for me. The ramp shot is difficult, but that's why I like it and you can back flipper the lock.

KIMG0227 (resized).JPGKIMG0227 (resized).JPG

3 years later
#32 3 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

No es posible un disparo en órbita con el flipper izquierdo ... puede ladear fuera del objetivo O y pasar a la derecha del bloqueo de la bola allí y la bola viajará como con el disparo del émbolo a lo largo de la forma de alambre y a través de una puerta de 1 vía hacia los carriles superiores. Una puerta de 1 vía encima de la salida superior izquierda impide que la bola complete una órbita y solo permite el disparo de la aleta derecha a través de la órbita izquierda y sobre la forma de alambre en la parte superior derecha, abriendo esa puerta para marcar la órbita. Si lo golpea durante la cuenta regresiva de 10 segundos después de completar cualquier banco de 3, lleva un progreso de puntos de bonificación a la siguiente bola y suena una campana fuerte en el gabinete. Si tuviera que encontrar algo para derribar al FPII es que no puedes hacer ese tiro limpio desde la aleta izquierda hacia la parte superior derecha y hacia los carriles. Puede golpear la órbita izquierda y quedarse corto en ellos a veces, o a través de los estallidos,
Mi FP2 tiene la tarjeta de voz agregada y las roms de voz Firepower que utiliza. La rampa de la izquierda es desafiante pero muy fácil de hacer. Cuando se configura correctamente, este juego es malo. He jugado mucho a Firepower y me encanta, pero a pesar de ser un gran juego, el flujo de velocidad y las opciones de tiro en FPII lo superan fácilmente, sin competencia. 2 de los bloqueos de bola de FP1 en FPII vuelan alrededor de la mesa y regresan a las aletas. Multiball es mucho más difícil de lograr en FP1, muy gratificante pero normalmente se agota muy rápido. Multiball en FPII es mucho más fácil, pero el tiro directo a través de los pops es difícil, le da más propósito al objetivo superior y cuando lo golpeas puedes mantener el multiball por un tiempo a veces. Demasiado divertido.
Agregado hace más de 5 años:

How is it not possible? I have completed the orbit several times with the left Flipper, it comes out very rarely but it can

#33 3 years ago

I have both FP and FP2. added a FP speech board to the FP2 sound board. that helps a lot in my eye. obviously doesn't change game play, but it makes the game seem less cheesy. because PF2 *is* cheesy (christ that cabinet!) it was made during a low-cost period in williams history, so they cut some corners on FP2. giving it speech makes it seem less like that. the shots aren't as nice as the original FP, but overall it's still a decent game, but not as good as the original FP, in my eye.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxon:

How is it not possible? I have completed the orbit several times with the left Flipper, it comes out very rarely but it can

It is a very tight shot to make but it can be done...what I meant is that the right lane really is not an orbit as it does not roll all the way around and back down toward the flippers because of the one way gate.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

Es un tiro muy ajustado de hacer, pero se puede hacer ... lo que quise decir es que el carril derecho realmente no es una órbita, ya que no gira por completo y retrocede hacia las aletas debido a la puerta de un solo sentido. .

oh i thought you said it was impossible, really if i have succeeded several times i will see when i make a video and upload it, can videos be uploaded here?

#36 3 years ago

Original is a classic... but I still have no idea why people think the original is “better”... on the OG, multiball holds zero value... light spinner and drill it. Really no other strat. on that game. A variety of other approaches to scoring in part II. I guess it’s whatever you like, play it. Oh, and the speech, I actually think it’s the worst part of the original, I am glad they got rid of it. I don’t hate the OG but there is a lot more strategy to part II and it’s flippers are so much stronger.

It’s like comparing OG Medieval or Monster Bash to the rereleases... they are both fun but come on, we know which one is “better” without even talking about it... right? I was very skeptical but the larger color DMDs and other updates just make the game more attractive... is it better? Possibly open to debate but I do think it’s defiantly an update/upgrade at the very least.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.50
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-i-and-ii?hl=jojo97222 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.