• Latest reply 5 years ago by mrboboto
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4020 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I have a project Firepower that won't reliably boot- most of the time it doesn't boot at all, sometimes it boots into audit mode (this happened one day when I reseated all the connectors and the 40 pin interconnect), and once in a while it boots, fires all the coils, and burns out the solenoid fuse. I'm not really itching to wade into a bunch of board repair and have some cash, so I'm thinking of just buying a Rottendog MPU and calling it a day. However, I don't want to do this if the boards are only part of my problem. Any advice on ruling out other issues before I replace the board?

Separately, any idea what's going on with these switches on the slings by the bumpers?

IMG_4020 (resized).jpgIMG_4020 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from mrboboto:

Any advice on ruling out other issues before I replace the board?

Disconnect the playfield before turning the game on.

#3 5 years ago

So from reading other threads, it sounds like one thing that can result in a flaky boot is if certain switches (like the trough) are misbehaving. Is Firepower expected to boot with the playfield disconnected?

#4 5 years ago

With the play field disconnected and coin box open, the game boots into test. The test switches in the coin box work. Switching to manual and hitting advance gets 00000, 11111, 22222, etc on the display. Closing the coin box the displays zero out but start button doesn’t do anything. Parts of the display also started to turn off after a few minutes.

#5 5 years ago

Post pick of mpu, my firepower was not very reliable till bulletproofing it, reflowing all tbe pins on the conectors and replacing the 40 pin interconnect, also bulletproofing the power supply. Search for vid1900 bulletproofing guides on here.

#6 5 years ago

Looking at your pics your blades on the leaf switches have broken. Those need to be replaced but don't think that would make the mpu do funky stuff. Post a couple pics of mpu and maybe someone will see something you're not.
-Mike

#7 5 years ago

If you want a reliable System 6 board set, you really need to do the following:

1) Reflow solder or better yet replace all header pins on all connectors (this includes the sound and power supply boards)
2) Replace all the ROM, CPU and other sockets that may be on the boards
3) Clean the pins on the CPU and ROMs
4) Replace the 40 pin interconnect (both sides)

There are some other enhancements you can perform but those are optional and don't effect the reliable operation of the machine.

If this seems like too much work or too much money to spend on your original boards, sell them to me and buy a new one.

#8 5 years ago

#1 - Replace both sides of the 40-pin interconnect first.
otherwise you are just farting in the wind.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from mrboboto:

With the play field disconnected and coin box open, the game boots into test. The test switches in the coin box work. Switching to manual and hitting advance gets 00000, 11111, 22222, etc on the display. Closing the coin box the displays zero out but start button doesn’t do anything. Parts of the display also started to turn off after a few minutes.

The game will not start with the playfield disconnected. It needs to see all 3 balls to start. The displays turning off may be normal, not sure about that one.

#10 5 years ago

Thanks- my plan was to just replace those boards with a Rottendog but I wanted to make sure there was nothing else I should try first (in case the problems with the boards weren’t as bad as I might have thought, or anything else I should rule out). I’m planning to bulletproof the power supply down the road.

#11 5 years ago

Rottendogs work well on firepower but are having problems on system 7 games.

#12 5 years ago

Someone mentioned this earlier but it’s worth repeating. In addition to the mpu/sockets/connector work, bulletproof that power supply. Replace those caps, particulalry the giant one that filters that 5v line. When that one cap starts to flake you get boot and reset issues. Even with a new rottendog mpu if that 5v is failing you aren’t getting anywhere.

#13 5 years ago

Understood that you're not looking forward to doing a bunch of board repair and may just replace with new, just be sure don't chuck those original boards. Remove the batteries and store the boards in a safe place. Getting tougher to find good repairable examples.

Richard

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

Someone mentioned this earlier but it’s worth repeating. In addition to the mpu/sockets/connector work, bulletproof that power supply. Replace those caps, particulalry the giant one that filters that 5v line. When that one cap starts to flake you get boot and reset issues. Even with a new rottendog mpu if that 5v is failing you aren’t getting anywhere.

Thanks- that’s definitely on the list. Already ordered the parts, and following vid’s guide. A little less intimidating than the board work to rehab the mpu/driver.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-how-to-rule-out-other-problems-before-buying-mpu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.