• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by busa32927
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 months ago

hi all

i have a firepower that is resetting the board when either flipper button is pressed. It has a rottendog replacement main board. I dont know the background history of the game. if i start a game and not touch the flippers everything works as it should. As soon as i touch a flipper i think the main board goes in safe mode. I have checked the connections on the power supply and those are all good. i am wondering what else could cause this problem. Maybe the bridge rectifier?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#2 6 months ago

Replace the diodes on the flipper coils

Might need to rebuild the power supply. Rottendog mpus are more sensitive to low voltages. Check the 5v level at the test points on the mpu

#3 6 months ago

i put in new flipper coils on both sides. I recapped the power supply but maybe it needs the 5v transistor replaced as well.

#4 6 months ago

almost always diode on the flipper coils. test flipper coil diodes and make sure the are soldered on good.

#5 6 months ago

the coils are new from 2 different sources. it would be hard to believe that i would get 2 coils with bad diodes.
i also went to a friends house to take pics of his coils. the coils are installed correctly.

#6 6 months ago

latest update:

i took my power supply board to friend that has the same game with a rottendog board. pluged my power supply in and it worked perfectly. sounds like this could be a bridge rectifier issue.

#7 6 months ago
Quoted from busa32927:

latest update:
i took my power supply board to friend that has the same game with a rottendog board. pluged my power supply in and it worked perfectly. sounds like this could be a bridge rectifier issue.

The bridges on the wall of the backbox are not part of the power supply. They are for solenoids and the lamp matrix. There are diodes on the power board itself that rectify AC for 12v and 5V to run the CPU and driver board.

Loosen the screws a half turn that mount the transistor to the heat sink on the driver board and securely tighten them back down. Those screws complete part of the circuit and can make a bad connection over the years. Loosening and tightening them back down restores a good connection.

1 week later
#8 6 months ago

tested the 5 volts on the mpu. dead on 5 volts until i press the flipper button. when i pressed 1 button the voltage dropped to 4.9 on either side. both buttons and board would reset. replaced the voltage regulator on the power supply and issue is fixed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Sale Pending!
Gardner, MA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 11.00
$ 12.99
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 34.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside