Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Moonbus
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I've got my game set up here at Allentown and it's getting a real workout, way more than at home. What's happening is after it gets played for a couple hours straight the flippers stop working completely. If I turn it off for 5 minutes they start working again.

Any ideas?

#2 4 years ago

Sure sounds thermal, so look at bad connectors or sockets first.

The moment it goes down, see if the flippers have voltage at the coils.

#3 4 years ago

Also, just to be clear, does the rest of the game still work even if the flippers aren't.

Usually when I get this description, it's the entire CPU that has locked up, but the sound is still working and some pf insert lights are sometimes still lit and of course the GI is lit, but the rest of the coils and switches are non responsive. Some times the score displays still have something on them but most of the time they are blank.

#4 4 years ago

Check to see if the solenoid fuse holder is real hot. Or clip a meter across it monitor voltage there should be no voltage drop there and fuse and holder should not be hot.

#5 4 years ago

The rest of the game works fine - just the flippers stop working.

I'll try leaving it on all day to see if I can get it to happen again and then play with the meter attached. Thanks for the suggestions.

1 year later
#6 3 years ago

I recently purchased a Firepower and I'm experiencing the same behavior -- After a few hours of use the flippers stop working but everything else is working correctly. I turn it off for a few minutes and the cycle repeats.

fantasygoat, were you able to resolve the problem?

#7 3 years ago

Our lost world was doing the same thing recently. It was an intermittent relay. Swapped with another one and the problem went away.

#8 3 years ago

My relay was fine. I replaced the driver transistor for the relay and fixed the problem. Sorry for not updating!

#9 3 years ago

I apologize for being a noob -- Where are these components on Firepower?

Thanks!

1 month later
#10 3 years ago

Oops, missed your post. The relay and associated transistor are on the driver board, left side middle.

1 year later
#11 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Oops, missed your post. The relay and associated transistor are on the driver board, left side middle.

Just wondering if someone can point out the exact resistor that was replaced? Is it R20, R25, R27? Thanks.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

Just wondering if someone can point out the exact resistor that was replaced? Is it R20, R25, R27? Thanks.

I think jwilson was referring to transistor Q13 just below the resistors you mentioned. Looks like a 2N4401.

Hope he pops on and clarifies this but in the meantime have a look here...
http://www.firepowerpinball.com/downloads/DriverBoard.pdf

#13 2 years ago

I think my issue is the flipper relay. I left it on for 2 hours until the flipper stopped working, and then tapped the top of the flipper relay and the flippers immediately worked again. Am I correct this tells me to replace the relay? And if so, is this the part: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/190-5001-00

Quoted from Moonbus:

I think jwilson was referring to transistor Q13 just below the resistors you mentioned. Looks like a 2N4401.
Hope he pops on and clarifies this but in the meantime have a look here...
http://www.firepowerpinball.com/downloads/DriverBoard.pdf

#14 2 years ago

Yes, just a simple 2N4401. Usually the relay is what kicks it, as in your case.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

I think my issue is the flipper relay. I left it on for 2 hours until the flipper stopped working, and then tapped the top of the flipper relay and the flippers immediately worked again. Am I correct this tells me to replace the relay? And if so, is this the part: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/190-5001-00

Sorry I dont know without digging around a bit.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 11.00
1,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Escondido, CA
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Carson City, NV
1,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hill, NJ
$ 22.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside