• Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1020938 (resized).JPG
P1020939 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I'm attempting to wire my firepower with drop targets and I am using the following guide:

http://pinball.flippers.info/firepowerdroptargets/

I am stuck on step 10.
Where do the 10 point switch wires go?
The white/yellow wire on the far right lug of the drop target where does that go?

#2 6 years ago

Will be curious to know how this mod works out for you. I've thought about doing the same thing. Held back because the old drop targets, before System 7, have some design flaws (daisy chained low voltage switch contacts, and dropping targets would only have a moment to register as they fell). Takes some effort to get them working properly.

#3 6 years ago

You need to introduce a new White/yellow wire that will go from the new rebound switch, daisy chain to the drop target white/yellow lug connection & then daisy chain it to an existing playfield switch that already has a white/yellow wire connected to it. (see the switch matrix diagram) For example left kicker switch has a white/yellow wire & can be connected there to the new rebound switch & drop target connection.

Same goes for other new wires, the new Green/Violet & White/gray wires required for the rebound switch/drop target bank, look at the switch matrix diagram & find an existing switch to tap into that already has these colours.

As you are adding new wires to the playfield, unless you have an old harness lying around with the exact colours you are looking for (like white/yellow wires ect) you may need to use different wire colours to substitute like just solid colour wires.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Biffbar:

Will be curious to know how this mod works out for you. I've thought about doing the same thing. Held back because the old drop targets, before System 7, have some design flaws (daisy chained low voltage switch contacts, and dropping targets would only have a moment to register as they fell). Takes some effort to get them working properly.

I have recently done a retro fit, I found to get them to work perfectly & to be very reliable I replace the wiper boards with new siegecraft boards & cleaned some good condition original contacts. I added some teflon lube to the boards (a tiny amount).

The key I found was to have an extra blank wiper (with no contacts) doubling up behind the other wiper with the contacts to increase tension. A single wiper doesn't seem to have quite enough tension to be reliable over time. I have come across few sets of used target banks that have 2 contact wipers per target, so I would say this is from the factory.

I adjust the distance from the back of the target to the very tip of the contacts between 8mm - 8.5mm on both contacts, this seems to be just right. Any more they are a bit too tight & don't drop properly & any less may not make a solid contact to the boards every time.

I didn't have a pic of the "cleaned" contact, but this illustrates what I mean with doubling up the contacts.

P1020939 (resized).JPGP1020939 (resized).JPG
P1020938 (resized).JPGP1020938 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago

Joydivision -- thank you very much for the info. Hopefully i can complete the conversion soon -- the wiring makes sense now. Interesting tip on doubling up the horseshoe contacts -- in all the reading i have done I hadn't come across this. I'll be on the lookout for another set of wipers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-drop-target-wiring-help-needed?hl=biffbar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.