Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Schwaggs
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi guys, looking for some experienced opinions on this. My displays are getting bad digit information. The player 1 and 2 displays (in the 2nd,4th and 6th digits position is EITHER a "0" or a "1." The player 3 and 4 displays have the same problem, except those digits are alternating "1" and "2." And the match/credit display follows the 3/4 player problem.

Here's a link to a video of whats happening...

Here's what I know: The master display board is NOT the problem because I've tried it in another Firepower machine.
I have continuity on all connectors and cables from the MPU to the display boards
I am getting PULSING with the logic probe on all data lines starting at the PIA, all the way down to the
connectors at the Master Display board.
I've replaced the IC18 PIA and the encoder IC just to eliminate them as the problem, but no such luck.
Clay's guide mentions PIAs on the driver board causing missing digit problems on the displays, so I swapped those
out as well, but no change.

Anyone have a clue whats going on?

TAGS System 6 williams firepower display

#2 7 years ago

You mention the outputs of the PIA are pulsing, have you checked the inputs and outputs of IC6 (74154) that generate the strobe signals?

When you say you measured the signals to the connectors on the master display board, did you confirm the signals are getting to the board? The contacts in the connectors could be weak, not making good connection with the master display board.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

You mention the outputs of the PIA are pulsing, have you checked the inputs and outputs of IC6 (74154) that generate the strobe signals?
When you say you measured the signals to the connectors on the master display board, did you confirm the signals are getting to the board? The contacts in the connectors could be weak, not making good connection with the master display board.

Yes, I have continuity and data making it to all the connectors on the master display board. The 74154 is brand new NTE replacement, all traces have continuity in and out.

#4 7 years ago

Sorry, really at a loss why every other digit would be incorrect. Appears that the BCD data is not being sent from the CPU to the master display board correctly. Actually appears that binary (not binary coded decimal) is being sent as evidenced by the 16 sets of numbers (000,000 through 9X9,X9X, then 6 sets of junk) before resetting to zero.

Is the video using game roms or a test rom?

Does this board have scanbe ROM sockets?

If that's using a game ROM, and since you replaced the PIA, I would try replacing scanbe sockets or a new set of ROMs if you have them.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Sorry, really at a loss why every other digit would be incorrect. Appears that the BCD data is not being sent from the CPU to the master display board correctly. Actually appears that binary (not binary coded decimal) is being sent as evidenced by the 16 sets of numbers (000,000 through 9X9,X9X, then 6 sets of junk) before resetting to zero.
Is the video using game roms or a test rom?
Does this board have scanbe ROM sockets?
If that's using a game ROM, and since you replaced the PIA, I would try replacing scanbe sockets or a new set of ROMs if you have them.

Yes, its incredibly bizarre behavior. I'll look over the ROMs and sockets but don't see that interfering with the counting of the digits. But, stranger things have happened... its pinball. I have a friend with a Firepower, may have to get these two boardsets together and compare a bit further. I've never seen or heard of a game doing this.

#6 7 years ago

Good idea. If you can get your friend's driver board, you can confirm the PIA on the driver board isn't interfering. All the PIAs share some address and control lines and if one of the PIAs is dragging down one of those lines, the display PIA may not initialize or operate properly. As far as I can see from the schematics, the driver board PIAs aren't formally in the circuit for the displays so Leon's comment probably is due to the interference risk. Will be interesting to see whats causing this to count to 16 as opposed to 0-9.

1 year later
#7 5 years ago

Alright, I finally figured out that the MPU board had a bad 6810 RAM chip was causing this issue for some reason. I had already re-socketed everything and touched up all solder and pins, plus replaced the PIA. I swapped the 6810 with another and now the displays work fine. Glad that problem is finally over.

1 month later
#8 5 years ago

Wow, congrats on the fix and thanks for posting the cause!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-display-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.