Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Toyguy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

My Firepower has an issue where the Player 1-2 scoring works great, but Player 3-4 are very erratic, with scores jumping all over the place as you play. In Display Test, the Credits/Ball in Play and P1 and P2 displays all test fine, but P3 and P4 count up as 0-1-0-1-0-1-6-7-8-9, which appears to me as though either all 6 of the first digits are bad, or digits 2-5 are bad with the original 0-1 being correct. It's hard to know which at this point.

I've replaced the associated PIA and re-pinned all the MPU connectors with no change in behavior. The display system is a brand-new Rottendog, which the previous owner installed in an attempt to resolve this problem.

I'm leaning toward swapping out the 74154 decoder. Anyone ever seen this sort of behavior? Does that sound like a likely culprit?

Dave

#2 8 years ago

The 74154 does decoding for the individual digit strobing(light up a single digit), not what count the digit is going to display.

Your problem sounds like BCD data. Looking at the schematics, MPU PIA has eight pins for BCD data. It is probably split four and four for players 1-2 and 3-4(with the master on one of them too).

Probe mpu 1j5 for eight good signals leaving the MPU and those same eight signals entering in the master display board. Probe past the connector on the Master display board. Your have an open line somewhere id imagine. THere is probably a square plug between in the head somewhere, make sure a pin didnt fall out.

#3 8 years ago

OK, thanks. That will save me some work on swapping the decoder. The same issue existed with the original Williams Master Display board so I'm tending to think it's not the Rottendog. I guess I'll meter all the display connectors for continuity and re-pin those on the display-side with crimp replacements from Great Plains if I can get them. I also have a probe so I can check for the outputs and inputs too. There's no other connectors in the harness - it runs direct from the Master back to the MPU.

#4 8 years ago

Well, no luck so far. The logic probe shows all 8 outputs at the PIA pulsing, with the 8 inputs on, I believe it was IC13, also pulsing. No way of telling what the data is with a probe, of course, but at least I don't believe there are any open connections. As I mentioned, all of the MPU connectors have been re-pinned with trifurcons and I have new connectors on the way from Great Plains for the BCD inputs to the Master Display board. I'm going to keep poking at this as I'd like to have a spare, good MPU and I can use the troubleshooting experience, but I'm also side-stepping the issue with a new MPU from Kohout.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Dave

#6 8 years ago

Interesting. I think barakandl's right about the BCD data except I think you've got a short rather than an open circuit.

Maybe nothing, but if you look at the BCD bit pattern (D2,C2,B2,A2) , its only when bits C2 and B2 are required to be different i.e. 1,0 or 0,1 that there's a problem. So maybe these lines are shorted together. If they both drive high that's ok. If they both drive low that's ok. But if they're driven opposite its likely that the result would be too low and not register, giving you the decimal display you're getting.

so ... check for a short between data lines C2 and B2 (connector 1J5-7 and 1J5-8) anywhere from the PIA up to the displays.

good luck

#7 8 years ago

Closing the loop here for future forum searches- the issue was indeed with the 74154. I pulled it and replaced it with a cannibalized chip from a broken Alien Poker MPU. Bingo! Scoring is now working properly. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

#8 8 years ago

I struggle to comprehend how the digit decoder could cause a segment issue. Main thing is it is working.

#9 8 years ago

Yeah, I don't understand enough of that system to comprehend what does what, but beyond the PIA and the displays themselves there wasn't much else left. Had the 74154 not worked, I would have been down to swapping the connectors on the display side, since I had already rebuilt the MPU side.

I also ordered a new Kohout MPU for it, which I'll go ahead and use anyway, keeping this one as a spare.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-display-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.