Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pincoder
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

My Williams Firepower has been having an intermittent problem, which I know is more difficulty to figure out. Plays well for a number of games, then almost randomly, it shuts down in the middle of a game. The backglass just says “Game Over” and all lights on the playfield flash. Restarting another game results in the same thing happening.

I went thru all the diagnostic sequence per the owners manual - and everything seems to check out. I also looked at the coin door tilt mechanism. Cleaned it up, filed it down, and tried to make it a tighter connection (I believe the switch is supposed to be in the open position at rest). Not sure what else to try. Any ideas?

If anyone has experienced this with theirs, or heard of any possibly causes/solutions please let me know.

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

I believe there are 2 slam tilt switches on FP, one on the coin door and one under the Playfield. Do not set these too tight, in fact, in home use, they can be gapped at least 1/4 inch apart since you should not be beating on your machines like machines sometimes are in a bar. These switches are there to protect the machine from abuse in the wild. If these are gapped too tightly, they can close during normal play and end your game.

#3 9 years ago

Thanks Schwaggs - I looked at both of those, and have them gapped pretty wide right now. That didn't seem to be the issue. Appreciate your thoughts, if you other suggestions am all ears.

#4 9 years ago

Hard to diagnose via the internet, unfortunately. Could be that something is triggering the slam tilt, could also be the 40-pin interconnect is going bonkers as it heats up.

Are your coin switches grounding against the frame at all?
Any other oddball behavior going on at the same time the game is resetting?

#5 9 years ago

Thanks HHaase - yeah, I know about trying to troubleshoot via forum strings....but, worth a shot. The 40-pin interconnect had been replaced fairly recently, but will look into that. Not sure which is the "slam tilt" is that the one on the coin door or under playfield? I did check them both & re-gapped them to make them more open & less likely to trigger. As to the coin switches....they seem OK, but will have to look a little closer to make sure there no unitended grounding going on. No other oddball stuff going on - when it plays, it's excellent...

#6 9 years ago

how are the bridge rectifiers? i just had all sorts of trouble with a firepower here that turned out to be a BR shorting to the top/heatsink and messing up the ground ( 19v between playfield ground and backpanel ground really upsets the mpu)

#7 9 years ago

my black knight does the same exact thing, which is the same as firepower . I don't mine is mpu related because I have the rottendog board in it. someone mentioned power supply board to me once, haven't had time to check into that one but just a thought.

#8 9 years ago

Thanks wiredoug & boydsc331. Don't know about the bridge rectifiers so will need to look further. My power supply board is fairly new, but worth checking into again. Appreciate all the great ideas - at least I have something to possibly explain what is causing the problem.

#9 9 years ago

If the pin tilted wouldn't the "tilt" light up rather than "game over"?

#10 9 years ago

Put some tape or shrink tubing over the tilt contacts to make sure they do not touch. This will eliminate them from the possible issues.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

If the pin tilted wouldn't the "tilt" light up rather than "game over"?

Not if it was a slam tilt. It would just reset back to attract mode.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Not if it was a slam tilt. It would just reset back to attract mode.

Slam tilt is pretty harsh on these games, it actually re-sets the CPU completely.... same as if you power cycled the game.

-Hans

#13 9 years ago

The plumb bob tilt, ball roll tilt, and slam tilt switch on the coin door are all located in column 1 of the switch matrix. The playfield tilt is located in column 6. You can try to eliminate the first three as a possibility by removing the plumb bob and ball roll, and disconnecting the door harness then start a game. If it still tilts then you know those three are not the culprit. If it doesn't, then you know you have to look at one of those.

You can also go into test mode as soon as it resets and look at which switches are reporting as closed. This is best done with the glass off so that as soon as it resets, you can grab the ball so it doesn't activate any more switches. Of course the coin door harness will need to be hooked up for you to do this.

If it still resets with the three tilts disconnected and you're sure it's not the playfield tilt, you have to look at all the typical Sys6 issues (power/connectors/ROMs/ROM sockets/40 pin).

viperrwk

#14 9 years ago

Great suggestions everyone. Got some work to do now to isolate the issue. Hopefully can report back soon that all is well.

#15 9 years ago

Dont rule out the big connector even if it has been replaced. there's at least 120 to 160 connections there when you factor in board to male pin, male pin to female connector, female to board etc. A lot of hackers out there...

1 month later
#16 9 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions....problem kept recurring, so decided to have a Rottendog CPU installed yesterday. As of now machine is playing well, hope it continues.

5 years later
#17 3 years ago

Hey @njpinwiz, if you are still around, I am wondering if your new CPU solved the issue for good? I am having the *exact* same problem. I have gapped the door slam tilt, but not the playfield one yet. Bu I don't think that's the issue, since it sometimes happen during a rollover when the machine is barely being touched.

Did the Rottendog solve it?

1 week later
#18 3 years ago
Quoted from zknower:

Hey njpinwiz, if you are still around, I am wondering if your new CPU solved the issue for good? I am having the *exact* same problem. I have gapped the door slam tilt, but not the playfield one yet. Bu I don't think that's the issue, since it sometimes happen during a rollover when the machine is barely being touched.
Did the Rottendog solve it?

You may benefit from a thorough test of your CPU board. I've just released a diagnostic adapter that comea preloaded with these diagnostic ROM images:

http://pincoder.ca

Download the release version from them menu and checkout the .txt files for each test. If you want to try them on your board you can get the adapter here:

https://pincoder.ca/index.php/2020/07/10/adapter-2020-06-23-0506/

Or, if you have a chip programmer and the proper chips you can write the images in the zip file to your chips and run them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-cutting-out-intermittently and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.