You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1766_(resized).JPG
IMG_1767_(resized).JPG
IMG_1770_(resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I recently acquired a rough Firepower. I started going over it some and noticed a connector that is wrong. There is a 3 plug connector populated by 2 wires that goes from a small board on the playfield (black) to a ground on the power supply. The other goes from the playfield (brown w purple)to the 2J9 connection on the MPU. What is the purpose of this small board? Flasher? The wires colors are correct on both sides of the connector but the wires are oriented incorrectly. The brown is connected but the black is on opposite ends. I have a few other wire hacks but will deal with them when i get there. Why wouldn't it be connected?
I looked on my Gorgar and it is not there. Pictures.
Thanks

IMG_1770_(resized).JPGIMG_1770_(resized).JPG
IMG_1767_(resized).JPGIMG_1767_(resized).JPG
IMG_1766_(resized).JPGIMG_1766_(resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

The small board is the flasher board and controls the #89 bulbs in the "Fire" and "Power" inserts. I don't recall seeing the 3 pin connector but will pull my backglass off and have a look for it.

#3 7 years ago

The small board is indeed related to the flashers. The large resistor there is the warming resistor for the FIRE and POWER flashers. It preheats the 89 bulb elements to increase their life. If you have LED flashers, you do not want the warming resistor connected as the amount of current provided by the warming resistor will keep the LED flashers lit all the time.

If you have incandescent flashers, I would correct the wiring. If you have LED flashers, I still would correct the wiring and cut one leg off the large resistor. This will make it simpler for future owners to restore the machine to incandescent bulbs if they choose.

#4 7 years ago

Ok it's starting to make sense. From the dirty color of the connector it looks factory. I have already corrected the wiring but will be long time before I get to try it. It's has regular bulbs now but possibly someone had led's and swapped them back. Every bulb in the game is black so possibly they pulled out their led's and put 44/47's back in so at least a bulb would be in the sockets to get rid of the machine.

#5 7 years ago

Oh, thanks again

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-connector-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.