Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Timerider
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I am making one good stainless steel coindoor for my Firepower out of the two I have. One is the table's original, and has been beaten to death. The other is in much better condition, but is from a Williams Taurus shuffle bowler. I will be using the skin and all bracketry from the Taurus door, and the mechs, which cleaned up pretty nicely, from my FP door.

This leaves me with the electric stuff: wire harness, coil, and doodads (for lack of a better word). The wire harness from the FP is cut and spliced to hell. The coils appear common to both doors. The doodads are some sort of brown plastic box with a trip wire underneath the coin mechs; I am assuming this is what registers a credit. The 3-button layout wired into the harness is labeled High Score Reset (left button), Auto Up/Manual Down (middle toggle), and Advance (right button).

On the Taurus door, the doodads are small leaf switches mated with small plastics wheels with cogs, each with a trip wire. The wire harness is uncut and complete, but the diagnostic setup only has Advance and Auto Up/Manual Down, there is no high score reset button. I am guessing that this is the same type of setup on earlier Williams SS tables like Time Warp or Disco Fever.

So my question is, will the Taurus hardware function the same as the FP hardware? Is the FP High Score Reset button used for anything other than that, any diagnostic features? The (male) end of the Taurus wire harness has one less pin than the FP, I assume this would have lead to the high score reset; is the rest of the harness the same as FP? I'll live without the score reset if I can swap in this perfectly good harness and not have to worry about figuring out and fixing all the cut wires on the old FP harness.

#2 10 years ago

My fairly educated guess would be that things should be ok. The manufacturers were (and still are I'm sure) all about re-use to cut costs so there is a high probability the coin door wiring harness can be transplanted as well. There are a few things you can do to help verify this. If you have the schematic for the Taurus shuffle bowler, you can compare it to Firepower. Also, look at the colors of the wires going to various switches and lamps on both coin doors. I'm thinking you will find that the wire colors match between the two coin doors. With respect to the high score reset switch in Firepower, it uses switch matrix column 1, row 8. High score reset is the only item in the coin door to use row 8, which should be pin 12 on the coin door plug (a white/grey wire). It would make sense for that pin to be empty on the Taurus coin door if there wasn't a provision for high score reset. Assuming this is correct, to add it you could swap the switch, plate, and wire from the old FP coin door to the Taurus door and plug.

Incidentally, I am doing a ground up restoration currently on a Williams Time Warp and it does have a button for high score reset.

Good luck.

Jeff

#3 10 years ago

You might want to look over the cabinet wiring diagram here on www.FirepowerPinball.com which is an excellect resource of info and they did a great job showing the colors of the wires you're dealing with:

http://www.firepowerpinball.com/downloads/CabinetWiring.pdf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-coindoormech-restore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.