View topic image gallery

934E4549-9593-4D9C-B8E7-21AFCC9F6E80 (resized).jpeg
B6C279F9-7FBC-43D9-A555-4F5770A86D89 (resized).jpeg
2C268F64-B091-4AE1-B933-51B3979125FC (resized).jpeg
IMG_5079 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

I’m new to working on pinball
Machines, so be nice please.

I have a new to me firepower. When I got it it had a blown fuse and several problems with the trough switches. I got it to start and it worked well except the flippers are weak so I ordered rebuild kits and the left side ball save only successfully saved a drain less than half the time.

I ordered parts for the flipper rebuilds and figured I’d adjust the left ball save and switch the coil with the one from the knocker for free games (seems this one would get a lot less use). When I made the swap, I took pictures and wired each coil the same way as it was.

The next time I started the game, the left eject hole, right eject hole, and the ball ramp thrower were all powered on continuously as soon as I hit the switch. They stay powered and get hot if I don’t turn it back off. I’ve looked for ground outs and don’t see any. Is there a logical direction to head from here?

Thank you in advance.

#2 5 years ago

Coils don't "wear out" so swapping the knocker coil to the kickback didn't really do anything. When you moved it did you leave the lugs on the coil pointed up, so they contact the underside of the apron? Ditto for the outhole kicker if you messed with that at all.

The logical direction is to reverse everything you did - despite your best efforts with pictures, etc. you've got something wired incorrectly. For instance, if the diode on the coil happened to be mounted the other way and you were keying off a logical path of "this wire was on the left lug" you would have reversed the hookup if the diode was the other way round.

The weak coils are most likely from dirty coil sleeves, worn mechanisms, old lubricant on mechs (most of them DO NOT need anything, and the ones that do, use VERY LITTLE. Do NOT use WD40). You could also have a low voltage condition in your location, or the transformer could be wired wrong, the bridges could be bad/weak, the connectors on the power supply, a compromised wire in the power chain.

#3 5 years ago

Sounds like you wired a coil with the diode facing the wrong direction. The red power wire should be on the banded side of the diode. You should recheck all your wire connections regarding the diodes and make sure no coil lugs are touching anything. You now probably have a issue on your circuit board that is not expensive to fix but might be above your level. You might fill out your location on your profile and maybe someone local can assist. I will attach a picture showing what I mean about the wires and diodes. The black diode has a silver stripe at one end. That stripe should be facing the lug/wire as shown. Get your wires/diodes correct and report back.

IMG_5079 (resized).JPGIMG_5079 (resized).JPG
#4 5 years ago

It's a long read but you should check out these 2 threads. One about Williams system 3-7 and the other about flippers. Your flipper issue is probably dirty worn parts and your end of stroke switches.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#5 5 years ago

Thank you. I’ll check i the diodes first. I’m in Johnstown Colorado, I’m fairly handy, but electric diagnostics aren’t my forte.

#6 5 years ago

Confirmed the stripe is on the same side as the red wires. All is as it was when o started. The ball kicks still fire and would burn up if not turned off.

I’ve read the articles on flipper rebuilds and at this time I’m holding off until this other problem is diagnosed.

Thanks for your help.

#7 5 years ago

Here are a few pics of the boards. It appears some upgrades were performed by a previous owner.

2C268F64-B091-4AE1-B933-51B3979125FC (resized).jpeg2C268F64-B091-4AE1-B933-51B3979125FC (resized).jpeg934E4549-9593-4D9C-B8E7-21AFCC9F6E80 (resized).jpeg934E4549-9593-4D9C-B8E7-21AFCC9F6E80 (resized).jpegB6C279F9-7FBC-43D9-A555-4F5770A86D89 (resized).jpegB6C279F9-7FBC-43D9-A555-4F5770A86D89 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#8 5 years ago

Got a rottendog so I wouldn’t have to work on boards. Installed, display test didn’t pass and I’ve got nothin.

#9 5 years ago

At this point, check your power supply voltages. Also, are there switches on the Rottenfog that are supposed to be set? Are they set for the correct machine?

#10 5 years ago

I don’t know how to check the voltage, but I did set the rottendog to the proper switch layout for firepower. The multimeter just laughs at me.

#11 5 years ago

There are several threads here on how to use a multimeter, or go to Utube and look - tons of them out there, too. Learning to use a multimeter is fairly easy, and a "must know" if you're going to own/work on a pinball machine.

When you say you got nothing, please elaborate - no lights, no sounds, some lights, some sounds, etc.?

#12 5 years ago

I have lights, no sound, no attempt to startup. No ball kick solenoid sounds etc.

#13 5 years ago

Ok simple stuff first. Are the connectors on properly on the new board? Have you checked your power supply voltages?

#14 5 years ago

Tap out. Anyone know a tech in Co that can take on some work?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-coils-stuck-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.