Linked Games

Topic poll

“Firepower boards - repair or replace”

• Repair the boards 8 votes
    100%
  • Replace the boards 0 votes

(8 votes)

#1 4 years ago

I have a 1980 Williams Firepower. Had the sound board repaired once. Service tech looked at the machine earlier this week since it had a 1497 code. He got it working, where it actually kicked out a ball and played (sound would not work however), but stated the pins on the CPU and Driver boards are very bad and need to be replaced and that the game may very likely act up again. Sure enough, about 20 mins later we fired up the game. It powered up, but would not kick the ball out and would not start a game.

The service rep stated he could replace all of the pins on the CPU and Driver board, which there are a lot of them. He normally "does not" recommend replacing the boards, but in my case due to the condition he saw, he thought it may be a more cost effective to replace the CPU and Driver boards, as well as get an Inkochnito Bridge board to replace the recifiers in the lower right side of the cabinet (I guess this would prevent a possible fire hazard). He indicated the Power supply board does not need to be replaced, as he can fix that. Repairing or replacing the sound board and Speech board was my option.

So my question is would you repair boards that are almost 40 years old, or replace per what I stated above?

Thank you.

#2 4 years ago

Repair. If he is going to charge that much find a hobbyist to do it for less or learn to do it yourself.

#3 4 years ago

Repair...

#4 4 years ago

Is there battery corrosion? If not, I can't imagine what could possibly make the pins worse than any others. Desolder, insert new, resolder.

#5 4 years ago

I repair when possible, and taught myself how to do it. There's really only a few dollars of parts usually involved.

However, if there is corrosion from a battery leak, whether or not I repair that comes down to a few factors:
-How extensive the damage is.
-How much time it is going to take me to replace all the affected components (sometimes leaks only touch a few components, sometimes many. Chips are the most time consuming to replace).
-How rare the board is, and if I have a spare board on hand that is in better condition.
-If an original working replacement is available from someone, or if aftermarket replacement board is available, and how much it costs.

#6 4 years ago

Pictures of your boards?

#7 4 years ago

Youtube is your friend. There are multiple repair videos, arcadeuk being one of my favourites. There are also many very good videos that teach you how to solder electronics. Invest in a good iron with variable heat and take your time. Once you learn how, you'll be able to fix stuff for others too.

#8 4 years ago

Another vote for repair. Doesn't sound like anything that is too far gone, and like mentioned, parts are cheap. It's the labor if you can do it or not that will get you. If you can learn how to do it, then it's really cheap, like a few bucks (once you have to proper tools).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-boards-repair-or-replace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.