Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by EMsInKC
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EMsInKC.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

My Firepower started blowing the solenoid fuse. I've replaced it a couple of times and still having an issue.

I was checking the bridge rectifier for the solenoids and noted that the positive lug was cracked and when I pulled the wire off the positive lug it broke off completely. So that leaves me three questions (I'm really new at Williams SS games)

1. Could that cracked positive connector lug on the solenoid bridge rectifier be causing this issue?

2. Can anyone give me a part number or where to get another rectifier for it. Obviously it's down for the meantime because that has to be replaced even if it is not causing the issue.

3. On the fuse itself, I searched the forum and found a fairly old post from someone who believes that it's underfused at 2.5A slo blo, and should be a 3A slo blo. Anyone think that is correct?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

#4 4 years ago

Thanks Lloyd!

Do you think this could be the issue? I'm pretty much lost on SS other than Gottlieb S1.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Not sure if you have more issues. The one you have is clearly broken. Easy to put a meter on it and see if it has any dead shorts.
    LTG : )

Meter on resistance? Then just put common lead on the meter on the ground lug and go from there?

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

The solenoid fuse on the power board is on the after the bridge on the DC side of the circuit. A fault with the bridge would not blow that fuse but would blow the line cord fuse before catching on fire if you are lucky. I don't think the bridge is causing the problem.
    http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7#Additional_Fuses
    What exactly is the marking on the fuse you using? It must be a slow fuse like a Bussman MDL 2-1/2. A fast fuse will not last very long.
    When the fuse blows do you notice any coils locking on before it blows? Can you tell if firing of one specific coil causing the fuse to blow?

The spec is a 2.5A slo blo. All I have is 2A slo blo. I have to get a new bridge in any case and I'll order 2.5 and 3A slo blo fuses at the same time. I definitely put a slo blo fuse in each time.

Do you think 3A slo is ok? There is an older post I found on here that says many people think 2.5 is underfused.

When I get it going again I'll lift the hood and see if I can hear or see anything. The weird deal is after it blew the first time I replaced it and it played for awhile before blowing again.

#11 4 years ago

Just an update. The lower left bumper was locking on with power up. After determining that the cap and resistors on the switch stack are fine, the switch itself is not closed nor are there any tabs touching, and after reseating the special solenoid connector and the 40 pin connector, my local guy helping me said transistor or the chip controlling it. So I'm taking him the boards to go through and check out.

I did desolder the black lead to the coil so the game plays now just without that bumper. Not ideal but better than no game at all.

Thanks to all that helped.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EMsInKC.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-blows-solenoid-fuse-and-bridge-rectifier-question?tu=EMsInKC and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.