(Topic ID: 138731)

Firepower Blanking Issues

By SchertzPinball

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I'm working on a Firepower and everything works except the blanking curcuit. When the game is turned on all coils fire one time and then the game goes into attract mode. It will start and play a game, but there are no displays due to the faulty blanking circuit. I've replaced IC7, IC23, Q5 and C32. I checked and rechecked all traces in the circuit and I can't find the fault. In attract mode TP4 reads 5volts.

What am I missing here?

Jason

#2 8 years ago

Is the blanking circuit problem just affecting the displays? If I remember correctly, if the blanking signal is low on system 6 the lamp strobes, the display and the first 16 solenoids will be disabled. The components you have replaced would affect the entire blanking system, not just the displays.

Have you monitored the blanking circuit with a meter while the game is booting? Both at the cpu and at the displays. Why do you think the blanking circuit is the cause of the display issue?

#3 8 years ago

Blanking is supposed to be high. If it is high after the power on reset the blanking is working, at least on the MPU. It will be low before reset and high after good reset.

The blanking is probably floating on the driver board. If it floats during the power on reset delay the solenoids will all kick during reset.

Go to a 7408 in the solenoid circuits on the driver board. Logic probe on a blanking pin. Make sure the blanking is logic LOW during power on reset delay and goes logic HIGH once attract mode hits. A no reading on a blanking pin of a driver board solenoid 7408 would be floating. Usually caused by breaking a trace open when replacing the 40 pin interconnect.

#4 8 years ago

All the coils fire simultaneously the instant the game comes on. TP4 should be at zero after the board boots, but it stays at 5v. It is my understanding that if the blanking circuit was working properly, TP4 would be at 0v after it booted up.

Jason

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from SchertzPinball:

All the coils fire simultaneously the instant the game comes on. TP4 should be at zero after the board boots, but it stays at 5v. It is my understanding that if the blanking circuit was working properly, TP4 would be at 0v after it booted up.
Jason

Figure out if blanking is logic low during the power on reset. I suspect your blanking is fine. 90% of the time blanking is a SYMPTOM of a non working board, not a cause.

Blanking is a safety check. It monitors a display PIA line for activity. If there is no activity, blanking goes LOW to turn off all lamps, solenoids and display. When the blanking is HIGH, the solenoids, lamps, etc can work because the blanking completes an AND gate, typically via 7408, to enable solenoids etc.

Locked high blanking wouldnt stop the displays from working. It might make the display lock on scrambled stuff during reset tho.

3 weeks later
#6 8 years ago

I finally had a chance to get back to this. There was a trace broken between TP4 and the interconnect. Thank you for the help.

Now the blanking stays logic low and of course, it won't boot now. All blanking chips and cap on the mpu are new as well as sockets.

Back to square one.

Jason

#7 8 years ago

Correct readings at Blanking TP4 is LO for about a half-second, then HI for normal operation. So it was right, then you fixed the trace, now it's stuck LO. What trace did you repair...point to point?

I agree with Terry's conclusion that if blanking were the original problem it would have disabled more than just displays.

#8 8 years ago

WHen you run the andre test software, can it cycle blanking high??

Pull the driver board. DMM on diode test. Red lead on ground. Black lead probe a blanking pin. Does it read shorted????? Do the same on the MPU.

Blanking failures where it shorts to ground happen typically when a solenoid circuit fries a 7408 out or a lamp column circuit fries out the 7408 there.

3 months later
#9 8 years ago

I'm Finally getting back to this board. I replaced IC23 and IC7 sockets with pinstrips and put in new chips. Blanking does not go HIgh. I tried testing with Andres Test and Siegecraft's Solenoid tester. the LEDs on the tester do not behave like others I've seen in videos. I've linked a video of mine. I'm clueless as to what is going on now.

Can Someone please help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-blanking-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.