Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by AdjustFailure
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 days ago

Hello, I have done some reading but wanted advice on getting rid of the background audio hum on my Firepower whenever it is powered on. I have owned the game for 25 years and it has always hummed somewhat, however it is noticeable and annoying now that I have hooked up to an external hi-fi audio system. Some advice has recommended replacing capacitors on the sound board, while others suggest removing extraneous ground wires on the sound board?

Also, can anyone confirm if the slingshot bumpers on Firepower are supposed to generate sound effects when activated? I recently switched out to Rottendog MPU/Driver combo board, and I feel like I used to have sounds with the sling shot bumpers but now there are none. All other sounds seem fine across the game.

Firepower

#2 6 days ago

Are your slingshots still scoring points?

#3 6 days ago

Good question, I just checked they are kicking but not scoring any points or making any sounds.

#4 6 days ago
Quoted from AdjustFailure:

Good question, I just checked they are kicking but not scoring any points or making any sounds.

The switch that scores points is actually under the playfield, it's not the one that fires the kicker. Make sure that it's still closing properly when you push the kicker

#5 6 days ago

Ok thanks I will check that. Thanks again.

#6 5 days ago

zacaj Thank you - you were 100% correct both sides the switches under the playfield were dirty and/or out of adjustment and not
contacting when the slingshot kicks. Easy to fix, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

#7 5 days ago
Quoted from AdjustFailure:

Hello, I have done some reading but wanted advice on getting rid of the background audio hum on my Firepower whenever it is powered on. I have owned the game for 25 years and it has always hummed somewhat, however it is noticeable and annoying now that I have hooked up to an external hi-fi audio system. Some advice has recommended replacing capacitors on the sound board, while others suggest removing extraneous ground wires on the sound board?

Look for cold solder joints on the sound board header pins. Reflow solder to all the pins

Make sure you have the all the screws in the all the boards. Make sure all the board mounting brackets are securely mounted to the backbox. Loosen all the screws 1/2 turn and tighten them back up. Goal trying to improve the ground connection to all the boards.

Remove the volume control connector from the sound board and see if the hum goes away. Make sure the shield is connected. Re-pin the connector.

#8 4 days ago

OK thank you, I will check all these things you have suggested.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Milwaukee, WI
$ 50.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside