(Topic ID: 131113)

Firepower problems - 6810 RAM - What does it do? A leg broke off.

By Geocab

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Patofnaud
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

UpsideDown.jpg
Screenshot_2015-06-21-20-52-50.jpg
Screenshot_2015-06-21-14-19-09.jpg
Screenshot_2015-06-21-14-18-25.jpg
#1 8 years ago

My Firepower is hesitant again where I shoot the ball in the left lock and the game takes many seconds to sometimes minutes before it registers. Same with draining the ball, but not always. I checked to see how the chips were seated on my boards and the 6810 RAM chip pulled right out without any tools. Unfortunately one of the legs broke off when I bent it back into position.

So I have two issues, the hesitation, and the broken leg. My first question, would this chip affect the registering of the left lock shot? Secondly, with the chip seated in game, the bottom right leg is the one that broke off. I have it back in the game and the game is still running, does that leg have a purpose for this particular game? I believe it is IC16 if I'm looking at the schematics correctly.

I know I need to resocket this board. Where can I get another chip? Are they even available?

I tried posting a photo, but keep getting an Upload ID error?

#2 8 years ago

The bottom right pin of a 6810, p12, is CS2. If the game still works as it should, you are lucky and that chip select is not used and the IC is okay with it floating with no connection.

The 6810 is obsolete, but still available in a few places. The other option is to use a 6802 CPU which has built in RAM. This lets you skip changing one of the 6810 IC sockets. I always do this. Lets me pull a 6810 to keep as a spare and less work rebuilding the MPU. I do have tons of 6802 CPUs on hand though.

Here is another tip. A lot of MC6808 marked CPUs will function as a 6802 CPU with built in RAM. I always try it before putting in a 6802 marked CPU.

#3 8 years ago

Screenshot_2015-06-21-14-18-25.jpgScreenshot_2015-06-21-14-18-25.jpg

I can now upload photos!

Screenshot_2015-06-21-14-19-09.jpgScreenshot_2015-06-21-14-19-09.jpg

Screenshot_2015-06-21-20-52-50.jpgScreenshot_2015-06-21-20-52-50.jpg

According to the third photo, it looks like Pin 1 is the broken leg. That's what I meant by bottom right. Please forgive my terminology as I'm not an expert at this.

Would this chip cause the long delays I'm experiencing, or do I have something else going on as well?

#4 8 years ago

P1 is the ground pin. I have a hard time believing the board will boot up with out that connected.

That kinda looks like my work from a few years ago. Did i rebuild that MPU?

#5 8 years ago

Yes. It's been great until recently. The long delays of the machine reacting to a lock or drain has gotten longer. Today I was playing and locked a ball, it took a couple of minutes to register. Drained later and I started watching something on Netflix before it finally reacted.

That's when I checked the socketed chips to see if they were seated ok and the RAM pulled right out without much effort. Which bent the leg and when I bent it back it was too soft and broke off.

To be clear, the delays I'm experiencing were never this long or frequent, this is a fairly new issue.

#6 8 years ago

Sometimes I have a 5-8 second delay when the ball drains as well although never with a locked ball. I've been wondering what causes this so I'll keep an eye on this thread. Good luck!

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Yes. It's been great until recently. The long delays of the machine reacting to a lock or drain has gotten longer. Today I was playing and locked a ball, it took a couple of minutes to register. Drained later and I started watching something on Netflix before it finally reacted.
That's when I checked the socketed chips to see if they were seated ok and the RAM pulled right out without much effort. Which bent the leg and when I bent it back it was too soft and broke off.
To be clear, the delays I'm experiencing were never this long or frequent, this is a fairly new issue.

This sounds like switch problems, most likely in the ball trough. The only IC problem that could manifest this kind of problem would be on the driver board. The switch PIA or the ICs between.

Most likely this would be caused by a mis adjusted ball trough switch. If the game does not see the ball trough switches closed. It will be confused about where the balls are. This could lead to never ending balls or not starting games. Ball locks with flaky switches could cause problems as well.

Since i worked on your MPU, I will send you a 6810. PM me your address.

#8 8 years ago

I appreciate that, Andrew. PM sent.

I've checked my switches and cleaned them with paper like an EOS switch on a flipper with no effect. I can also say that when I've had delays before, the only things I've ever done to see them go away, was unplug the MPU and driver boards, take them out and look for anything obvious and plug them back in.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Since i worked on your MPU, I will send you a 6810. PM me your address.

That is one hell of a nice guy - You're the best.

#10 8 years ago

Check the switch contacts, i have seen where the contact is riveted to the leaf it comes loose and doesnt make connection thru switch, see if switch contact will spin in the leaf.

#11 8 years ago

Or if the rivet was wrongly manufactured upside down and not on the face... DOH...

UpsideDown.jpgUpsideDown.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-6810-ram-what-does-it-do-a-leg-broke-off and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.