Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
2013-02-24_15-49-48_32zoom.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 10 years ago

I just dealt with a 5101 ram that caused displays digits to shift over one spot. That was a pain. Finally realized it was failing Leon's boot rom memory test.

William's socketed the CPU which rarely fails but not the PIAs or the 5101 ram.... go figure.

#12 10 years ago

Yikes! 9v will most likely kill the 5101 ram. I think a WMS sys 6 MPU board has a one or more 14/16pin logic ICs that get the battery power as well. Check the schematic and follow the battery voltage around and see where it goes before the blocking diode. 74XX ICs will probably not survive 9v.

I can check the schematic closely for you if you need help.

1 week later
#17 10 years ago

That is usually an indication of driver board or interconnect problems.

From here the best bet is to run the test rom and check all the PIAs. Test rom can also check your 5101 (probably not the issue).

#20 10 years ago

If you did not replace the female side of the 40 pin it is likely your problem. The tension wears out quickly on these connectors and reflowing will not help. Add 30 years and it is long overdue for replacement. My test driver board i swap in out all the time started developing problems in less than two years and maybe 50 in out cycles.

Test rom will show problems on the driver board. If all PIAs are dead you can start looking for a floating address or data line from a bad interconnect.

#26 10 years ago

Sounds are driven by tip120 driver transistors in the solenoid section. It grounds an input or multiple inputs at once to play a sepcific sound. You are likely missing one line. Check the connectors on both the sound board and the driver board.

Good test might be to ground all the sound transistor tabs and look for one that does not play any sound. That will tell you if you have a connector problem (but not rule out a bad logic driver circuit!)

#29 10 years ago

New coils is not going to solve weak firing. This is most likely power related or mechanical. Either poor ground (driver board connectors) or flakey +voltage. These two coils you mention are CPU controlled. Software decides how long the coil pulse is. Most likely some kind of physical issue with assembly.

You can not test a diode mounted on a coil. Each end is connected via the coil winding.

The header pins are cut too short on Williams boards of this era. It is a major manufacturing error. I usually replace all header pins on these boards so i can get a reliable solder joint.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Foxborough, MA
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-5101-ram-chip-issues?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.