Firepower 2 won't start the game!

By Theonlylilo

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi guys! I explain immediately the problem.
The pinball goes in attract mode, accepts credits but won't start the game. I'm able to enter in the diagnostics, the credit button works well... but not to start a game!
The CPU has new sockets, new set of roms (all verified), new 6114, new PIA in IC36 and new interboard connector.
The driver board is also functioning and tested in my other pinballs.
At the first time my thought was a short in the button or something else similar, but then I tried a sys6 CPU (I don't have other sys7 CPUs) and pushing the credit button, the game starts finally! So I think the "problem" is on the CPU...
From where can I start to solve this mystery?
Any help will be very appreciated!!!
Thanks guys!
I'm at your disposal for any further questions...

#2 8 years ago

At the moment all the solenoids connectors (from 2J9 to 2J13) on the driver board are disconnected, because as soon as I connect one of them, I can hear the usual sound of all solenoids activated (remember that the driver is complete functioning)

#3 8 years ago

The game won't start unless there are three balls in the trough. If there are three balls there, then check the trough switches in test. Look for broken wire, misadjusted switch, etc.

#4 8 years ago

Ok! Thanks for your reply. Firepower 2 has only 2 balls. I've just checked to start the game with balls inside but without results!
At the moment only two switches are not functioning under diagnostics: playfield tilt (sw. 49) and ball shooter trough (sw. 19). The first one is missing of diode, the second one is ok with the multimeter if closed by hands, but is not registered in the diagnostics.

#5 8 years ago

Ugh, missed the 2! Of course you are correct. Do the two balls register in the trough switches? If the credit button is working. and there are credits (or game is on free play), then it will start unless the balls are missing. There is no other thing to check here.

#6 8 years ago

Inside the headbox, there is this sticker:
"connect ground braid from cabinet and white-red wire from playfield under the wingnut with pre-connected white-red wire from insert board"..... I have only the first wh-rd wire and the gnd braid. What is the "interconnect board"?

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Vector:

Ugh, missed the 2!

No problem!
The 2 trough switches (09 & 10) work well and detect both balls, the pinball accepts the credit but the credit button doesn't start the match once pressed.
This pinball sucks! My friend tooks it at a very low price... and now I understand why it has a damp smell...

#8 8 years ago

The balls have to be loaded when the drain they will kick up to load make sure they are loaded and those switches are working (you are correct on the 2 balls for Fire Power II)

#9 8 years ago

The solenoids are activated once the pinball is powered on... but the driver is complete working! Could it be a sympthom of a cpu issue?

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from PoBoyPinball:

The balls have to be loaded when the drain they will kick up to load make sure they are loaded and those switches are working (you are correct on the 2 balls for Fire Power II)

The 2 trough switches detect both balls during the diagnostics, so I think they work properly. The only one is not working is the channel switch but this switch drives the initial sound.

#11 8 years ago

Bump

1 week later
#12 8 years ago

Are you still having issues? I have a firepower 2 so if you need me to look at something or take a pic and add it let me know.

#13 8 years ago

Thanks a lot Wizard! Yes I still have the same problem. During the weekend I will take a better look under the playfield to find if there is something wrong! Finger crossed...

#14 8 years ago

No problem I can always take pics or Volt readings, hopefully we can get yours going. Its a very fun game, but I'm an 80's pin kinda guy.

1 week later
#15 8 years ago

Update... I've tried another sys7 refurbished cpu and the FP2 works fine. So it means I have an issue on that board.
I have to re-check again it on the bench!

#16 8 years ago

Another update.
I re-installed the original CPU board. It seem to works good BUT only at the power on it has a strange behaviour: some coils are activated and the first ball is fired in the launch gate. It means the first ball has to be shooted in the playfield during the attract mode. Then I can play normally...
I don't understand why these coils are energized...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 22.50
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-2-wont-start-the-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.