8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160304_194528_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the4horse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I'm have an ongoing issue with column 6 row 2J2-3 of the switch matrix. It controls the scoring of the bumpers, inlanes and kickers. I think it's the top 'dm7406n' chip in the photo causing the problems. When I replace the chip with a new one, the game plays and scores for a short time but then the machine makes the 'tilt' noise and goes dead. The tilt light also illuminates in the backglass. The 'tilt' light also comes on at the end of every game. I checked all the tilt mechanisms and they seem okay and I'm not sure where to look now. The interconnect has been replaced and all the connectors have been replaced. The boards were also sent away and repaired not long ago.

20160304_194528_(resized).jpg20160304_194528_(resized).jpg

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

So it works for a while and then the 7406 fails after a period of time? Replace the 7406 and it works again for a while until it fails?

Yes, that's right. So I should check the top right connector wires all the way under the playfield? According to the manual, they are connected to that 7406 chip. What do you think the deal is with that tilt light going on and that tilt thing happening?

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

7406 failures are almost always caused by a switch shorting to something. So yes i would thoroughly inspect the problem wire from the backbox to the playfield.

Thanks, I'll start searching for a short...I'll let you know if I get her going.

#6 8 years ago

Haven't found a short yet. So, the tilt light coming on after every game and the game cutting out with the tilt noise/ light when I replace the 7406 is also linked to this short?

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeWarp1:

This most likely won't have any effect/help with your problem but I remember watching a TNT video on YouTube and Todd said Williams issued a bulletin to remove the top left and right screws from the driverboard as it can/may short the board to the metal bracket under it if tightened all the way.

Thanks, I have heard about that and had removed those two screws. They're touchy little things aren't they?

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from superpinballman:

My Firepower 2 has a burnt pop bumper coil, the right kicker is stuck on and the 3Amp fuse on power supply board is blowing...anybody got a pdf of the schematic? I'm going to loosen the top L & R screws of the driver board nex time I start working on it to see it that helps. Tx

You'll find the FP2 service manual on the IPDB site. It has schematics as well which should help you out. Good luck fixing yours.

1 month later
#11 7 years ago

Never did get this switch matrix problem fixed...I traced all the wires but there weren't any shorts. Still think it's on one of the boards.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

It's not going to be a board issue taking out the IC. Something on the playfield is shorting. Since the "Right Flipper Lane Change" switch is part of the column, that's where my guess would be for the short. The fiber separator between low voltage switch and high voltage EOS has likely been compromised.

My machine has a regular flipper switch and not the lane change type on the right side yet it still does the lane change???

1 month later
#14 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

7406 failures are almost always caused by a switch shorting to something. So yes i would thoroughly inspect the problem wire from the backbox to the playfield.

Turned out to be a loose socket on that MC 6821P chip. No wiring or shorting issues "Borygard". The 'tilt' light staying on turned out to be the led bulb in the backbox...I put a regular 47 bulb in and problem solved! I've noticed that FP2 doesn't cope with led's in certain locations such as the mystery and extra ball lights for the ramp. Anyway, just thought I'd let you guys know that she's all working nicely now

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the4horse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-2-switch-matrix-issues?tu=the4horse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.