Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160304_194528_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

I'm have an ongoing issue with column 6 row 2J2-3 of the switch matrix. It controls the scoring of the bumpers, inlanes and kickers. I think it's the top 'dm7406n' chip in the photo causing the problems. When I replace the chip with a new one, the game plays and scores for a short time but then the machine makes the 'tilt' noise and goes dead. The tilt light also illuminates in the backglass. The 'tilt' light also comes on at the end of every game. I checked all the tilt mechanisms and they seem okay and I'm not sure where to look now. The interconnect has been replaced and all the connectors have been replaced. The boards were also sent away and repaired not long ago.

20160304_194528_(resized).jpg20160304_194528_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

So it works for a while and then the 7406 fails after a period of time? Replace the 7406 and it works again for a while until it fails?

If so id triple check that entire drive wire under the PF. It might be shorting to GI or something that takes a while for it it to fail.

You can close switches right at the connector plugs too with PF disconnected. That can help isolate driver board or PF.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

So it works for a while and then the 7406 fails after a period of time? Replace the 7406 and it works again for a while until it fails?

Yes, that's right. So I should check the top right connector wires all the way under the playfield? According to the manual, they are connected to that 7406 chip. What do you think the deal is with that tilt light going on and that tilt thing happening?

#4 8 years ago

7406 failures are almost always caused by a switch shorting to something. So yes i would thoroughly inspect the problem wire from the backbox to the playfield.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

7406 failures are almost always caused by a switch shorting to something. So yes i would thoroughly inspect the problem wire from the backbox to the playfield.

Thanks, I'll start searching for a short...I'll let you know if I get her going.

#6 8 years ago

Haven't found a short yet. So, the tilt light coming on after every game and the game cutting out with the tilt noise/ light when I replace the 7406 is also linked to this short?

#7 8 years ago

This most likely won't have any effect/help with your problem but I remember watching a TNT video on YouTube and Todd said Williams issued a bulletin to remove the top left and right screws from the driverboard as it can/may short the board to the metal bracket under it if tightened all the way.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeWarp1:

This most likely won't have any effect/help with your problem but I remember watching a TNT video on YouTube and Todd said Williams issued a bulletin to remove the top left and right screws from the driverboard as it can/may short the board to the metal bracket under it if tightened all the way.

Thanks, I have heard about that and had removed those two screws. They're touchy little things aren't they?

#9 8 years ago

My Firepower 2 has a burnt pop bumper coil, the right kicker is stuck on and the 3Amp fuse on power supply board is blowing...anybody got a pdf of the schematic? I'm going to loosen the top L & R screws of the driver board nex time I start working on it to see it that helps. Tx

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from superpinballman:

My Firepower 2 has a burnt pop bumper coil, the right kicker is stuck on and the 3Amp fuse on power supply board is blowing...anybody got a pdf of the schematic? I'm going to loosen the top L & R screws of the driver board nex time I start working on it to see it that helps. Tx

You'll find the FP2 service manual on the IPDB site. It has schematics as well which should help you out. Good luck fixing yours.

1 month later
#11 7 years ago

Never did get this switch matrix problem fixed...I traced all the wires but there weren't any shorts. Still think it's on one of the boards.

#12 7 years ago

It's not going to be a board issue taking out the IC. Something on the playfield is shorting. Since the "Right Flipper Lane Change" switch is part of the column, that's where my guess would be for the short. The fiber separator between low voltage switch and high voltage EOS has likely been compromised.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

It's not going to be a board issue taking out the IC. Something on the playfield is shorting. Since the "Right Flipper Lane Change" switch is part of the column, that's where my guess would be for the short. The fiber separator between low voltage switch and high voltage EOS has likely been compromised.

My machine has a regular flipper switch and not the lane change type on the right side yet it still does the lane change???

1 month later
#14 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Turned out to be a loose socket on that MC 6821P chip. No wiring or shorting issues "Borygard". The 'tilt' light staying on turned out to be the led bulb in the backbox...I put a regular 47 bulb in and problem solved! I've noticed that FP2 doesn't cope with led's in certain locations such as the mystery and extra ball lights for the ramp. Anyway, just thought I'd let you guys know that she's all working nicely now

1 month later
#15 7 years ago

I have a similar problem on my Firepower, and although I think the solution might be different I'd like to spin on from some of the suggesions in this thread.

I have a new PinballPCB driver board (http://www.pinballpcb.com/System3-7DriverBoard.html) that keeps blowing the same IC as yours - IC17 which is a 7406. This occurs - usually after a game or two - when the top left pop bumper is activated. The game tilts and the switch matrix is all messed up until I replace the luckily cheap 7406.

I battled with the problem for some time until I thought I had found the solution. By isolating the lamp wires going into the pop bumper the game started working and did so for a year. Now the problem is back. I have taken the pop bumper apart and further isolated the lamp wire so there is really no way that I think that the switch can short to it now, but the IC keeps on blowing. Which leads me to believe that I just got lucky when I thought I had found the problem.

The PinballPCB board is not a perfect fit for all fours screws in the backbox. I have the two top screws mounted, and the board really just hangs there. The IC which keeps blowing is the topmost to the right here: http://www.pinballpcb.com/images/DriverBoard/DriverBoard.jpg
My bracket is different from the one in the picture though, running horisontally rather than vertically. So my question is, does this board need to be grounded through the screws, or can I just elevate it from the bracket by some pcb feet or similar?

If it is not a problem with the board shorting - can it be the switch itself? The pop bumper switch looks ok to me, but don't really know what I am looking at. Can the resistors on the switch blow? Can the switch short to the coil? Any ideas are much appreciated.

Cheers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-2-switch-matrix-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.