(Topic ID: 303927)

Fireball Classic Woes

By JadedHesher

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jadedhesher.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

#fireball-classic 1985

Hey everyone !

I'm having a hard time figuring out what's wrong with this machine, looking at the manual I'm a little overwhelmed. I'm use to working on newer pins.

Basically, the issue is that most of the playfield isn't working. Pop bumpers, the spinning fireball and the ball lock stuff. The trough is also not functioning. The flippers work just fine though.

It seems like a lot of this stuff is wired in line, so if one thing goes down then something else in line will go down as well, right ? I looked at the fuses, they look like old fuses but still whole. All the wires are connected to everything, I did a wiggle test and no dice. Looking at the machine, nothing is popping out at me as broken.

I'm just wondering, what's a good place to start looking ?

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it !

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There should be a game over relay and a lock relay. Inspect and clean and adjust as needed.

Hi !

Thanks for the reply.

Looking over the manual first glace I'm not seeing what you speak of yet.

Are these relays basically switches ? And they're prob under the playfield right ?

#4 2 years ago

and when i mean switches, i mean what I call leaf switches

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Ignore CrazyLevi 's post, he's thinking of the electromechanical version of fireball, not the solenoid state (you should change the title of the thread to include 'fireball classic' instead of just fireball, which is the EM version)
There is a fuse under the playfield that protects the solenoids other than flippers. It's likely blown, and it's likely blown because there's a bad solenoid driver transistor on the solenoid driver board. Go to pinwiki.com and read in the bally section on how to test the boards.

Thank you very much @slochar. The fuse looked good, I pulled it and put a DMM and it was dead. Replaced and it's all working again except the right flipper is machine gunning every time you press the button. Sounds like you're right about the driver board having something with it ? I looked at the leaf spring on the button, looked good. The EOS switch looks good. Prob a transistor ? I still need to test them, it's just super busy at work at the moment.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Not a transistor.
The flipper coils are active by the relay on the sol. driver board.
The right flipper hold winding is broken or interrupted.
Replace the coil is the easy solution, but sometimes it is just a lose (small) coil wire.
Very hard to see or find.
Look closely at the solder lips.

Thank you so much Inkochnito ! And everyone else who helped, really appreciate it !

Waiting on the new coil, game seems to be working good otherwise.

I think the fireball was left spinning all night and it blew the fuse, the transistors seem fine. Thanks again everyone !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monterey, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jadedhesher.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fireball-woes?tu=jadedhesher and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.