Let's remove the mylar! My plan is to clearcoat this playfield, so it can't stay!
I don't like mylar. At all. It makes a game play differently. And an old mylar makes a playfield look dull and keeps the colors from popping out. There is a good thing about mylar, though: it has saved the paint on an old playfield from getting severely damaged over the years. Just check out this part of the playfield, where there wasn't any mylar to begin with. A small quiz: Who notices what the previous owner did wrong while rubbering the machine? Damaged area without mylar
So, the mylar has to go. I could never make this machine as nice as I want it to be without removing it. I decided to take it off with all parts still on the playfield. This way, if things went wrong (a.k.a. the playfield getting severely damaged while taking the mylar off, which is very possible on an old playfield like this), I would abandon the project with a big headache and sell the machine as-is. As you can see, the mylar was in pretty rough shape. Rough and dirty...
To remove the mylar, I chose the freeze spray-method. Knowing the dangers of mylar removal, I knew that from here on, there was no way back. It's all or nothing... Here goes nothing!
If you compare the photo underneath this text to the one above, it becomes quite clear what an old mylar coating makes a playfield look like. The colors look much more vivid without the mylar. The white specks in the pink and black are small damages, but nothing that isn't fixable. Notice that the pop bumper still has a mylar ring around it. So far, so good.
Half time! The upper part of the playfield has now been freed of the mylar. The lower part still has it. Apart from the small specks, no serious damage to speak of. Half time!
Done. Wiping the sweat off my forehead, I can say this went pretty well. Before I started, I was very afraid that the removal would take a lot of the artwork with it. The result: pretty nice!
This is most of the mylar that came off of the machine. Filthy stuff. Out with it! Mylar, anyone?
This place requires some repainting, as I expected. The damage is caused by two too long screws that hold the Little Demon-assembly on the underside of the playfield! Screwed.
This is the place with the trickiest damage. I will be a small challenge to repaint this. But again, very doable. The picture again shows how brittle the paint is in the places where there wasn't any mylar. Damaged demon
In all, I'm extremely happy with the result up until now. This makes the machine a candidate for a beautiful clearcoat. But before this comes one of the jobs I'm not looking forward to: getting rid of the glue that held the mylar onto the playfield. The playfield may look pretty clean, but it's very sticky now.Go fetch!
Stay tuned for more!