(Topic ID: 223278)

Fireball ii Sound and Demon Post Issues.

By dpapclare

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dpapclare
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

39279398_220773365270629_7551208163190505472_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dpapclare.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I picked up a Fireball ii on Monday and it is in beautiful condition, but there are a few minor issues I can't quite seem to figure out. One of the issues is regarding the sound and the other is regarding the Little Demon Post.

Sound Issues: So all of the sounds are there and working, but some of them are excessively loud compared to others. Background tones, drop target/ stand-up target sounds and some other sounds are all at a relatively normal level, but then the pop bumper effects, slingshot effects, multi-ball start sound effect and the bonus collect sound are extremely loud. I have adjusted the volume from both knobs (on the squak and talk board and on the coin door.) All of the sound effects go up and down in volume using both knobs, but those specific few sound effects are just so much louder than the rest of them. This means I can't keep the volume up for the background tone etc because the pop bumper and other affected sound effects become excessively loud. I was thinking maybe some of the capacitors were drying out on the sound board but I don't know if that makes any sense.

Little Demon Post Issue: This one is far more simple. Sometimes the little demon post just fires on its own without hitting the button. I checked the gaps on the cabinet switch for it and it seems okay. It's kind of acting up like some pop bumpers do on these older bally's, where they fire when the flippers are pressed. This is annoying because it uses up the demon credits you need to help keep the ball in play and by the time you actually need them, they can all be gone. So any input as to what may be causing that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for looking and any advice you give me!

39279398_220773365270629_7551208163190505472_n (resized).jpg39279398_220773365270629_7551208163190505472_n (resized).jpg
#3 5 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

My FB II does the same thing w/the "Little Demon"post. It will fire by itself sometimes, usually w/other solenoid activity. I relate it to the phantom random bumpers firing sometimes on most of my old Bally games. It doesn't happen often, but enough that I notice. The sound thing I have no idea. Good luck, that's a good looking game!!

The sound board actually regulates its volume after the game has been on for 10 minutes or so! So I am assuming the board just takes a while to do whatever it needs to do after the startup sequence is finished. I'll look into some common causes of the phantom pops online. Thanks for the info!

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Has the soundboard had it's capacitors replaced ever?

As far as I know it has not. That is what I am assuming is causing the problem. Once the machone has been on for ten minutes or so, the sound regulates itself.

1 week later
#7 5 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

There are 2 different sound chips and circuits used on the S&T board each with it's own subset of sounds. Some games use 1 or the other or both and I'm not sure if FBII used both but if it did, one of the op amp circuits could have a bad cap that would only affect just some sounds.

That's great information thank you! I'll look into it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Freeland, MD
£ 195.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dpapclare.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fireball-ii-sound-and-demon-post-issues-?tu=dpapclare and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.