FBII Switch Pic 1 (resized).jpeg
20230116_210140 (resized).jpg
20220726_173919 (resized).jpg
20220726_173907 (resized).jpg
IMG_6713 (resized).jpg
IMG_6714 (resized).jpg
F779B9A1-76D2-4229-8510-56EBF085650B (resized).png
288FDA87-9183-414C-AD85-B73E1EC7F67E (resized).jpeg
There are 614 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.
#1 8 years ago

Fireball II !

Good original theme.
2300 units made.
Nice cabinet and beautiful backglass.
Very cool voice work and sounds.
Cool toy with the player-controlled center post.

I wanted to start up a Fireball II club so that other FB2 owners can share the usual love for the machine as well as: repairs tips, restoration tips, part requests, PF/BG/Plastic Set ideas, toppers/mods, teardown pics, and upgrade suggestions...

RESOURCES
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=854
PF/BG/Plastic Sets: None available?
BEST SETTINGS
TEARDOWNS
UPGRADES/TWEAKS
TOPICS
MODS
ROMS

[x] add to your favorites
-mof

#2 8 years ago

Haha small club mof, but I'm there with ya I really like the game a lot. Lots of drop targets to shoot, and a 3ball multiball that's a bit of a challenge to achieve. The doodle bug counter in the middle is an odd addition, but it's still a real fun old Bally with awesome Dave Christensen artwork.

#4 8 years ago

I should be getting mine in a week or so...

Of course I have no room at all.

#5 8 years ago

There is a game setting that gives you the option to only collect the Fireball bonus at the saucers, rather than at every end-of-ball. Doing so makes the game much more challenging, and adds some risk/reward strategy to it.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from neurokinetik:

There is a game setting that gives you the option to only collect the Fireball bonus at the saucers,

Ha! I've had mine for almost 4 years and I didn't know that.
Love my FB2. The Little Demon post is groovy. It always takes people awhile to realize they have it to use, and then they waste all their uses testing the button.
The multiball allows you to relock balls in the middle of a multiball, and then release them again. I've had multiballs go for days now and then.
I love the doodlebug under the playfield. It adds a visceral feel to the bonus scoring.
The bg rules! Notice the rings for his cape go through his collarbone.

Fireball Awaits You!

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

I should be getting mine in a week or so...
Of course I have no room at all.

You know I'm trying to help you with that!

I've never played a Fireball II, and now I know why, that's a pretty small production run for the era.

So how does the "self firing" center post work? It looks like Medusa's Shield of the Gods, but you don't activate it with a button?

Edit: Hmm, maybe it is just like Medusa? The arrow says Little Demon button.

image-15.jpgimage-15.jpg

#8 8 years ago

There's an extra flipper button on the right side for the Little Demon Post. You get five uses to start. Each time you drop all three demon targets in the middle, you get two more uses. Any extras you don't use pay a bonus at the end of the ball.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

There's an extra flipper button on the right side for the Little Demon Post. You get five uses to start. Each time you drop all three demon targets in the middle, you get two more uses. Any extras you don't use pay a bonus at the end of the ball.

So it's totally like Shield of the Gods, got it, thanks. The self firing language confused me.

#10 8 years ago

Yes, exactly like Shield of the Gods.
Medusa looks like fun.

#11 8 years ago

The outlanes aren't as tedious as in Medusa...
-mof

#12 8 years ago

OK, what does it say when the game is over?
What does it say when you use the Little Demon?
I can't make out much more than gibberish.

Anyone? Bueller?

#13 8 years ago

Odinnnnn - Released!!!

Wotaaaannnnnn - UNCHAAAAAIIIINNNNEDDDDD!!

Such a cool game. Love it.

Funny how it doesn't get much love. I think it's because people think Fireball 2 is one of the cheaper home edition fireballs. Confusion! Probably why I picked my very tidy one up for 600 USD One of the best scores I've got.

Aurich, you should check it out. IMO a more fun game than Medusa. Medusa looks cool but the gameplay gets a bit tedious IMO.

rd

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Odinnnnn - Released!!!
Wotaaaannnnnn - UNCHAAAAAIIIINNNNEDDDDD!!

That's the multiball talking. SO killer. Wotan CAPtured!!!
I am not usually a big multiball fan, but FB2's is really fun.
But what does it say when you use the Little Demon and what does it say at the end of a game?

Most people who don't like FB2 haven't actually played it. I got mine for 600 too; it's not all that "tidy" but it's a really fun game.
Some people (not me - it still kicks my a** usually) who think it's too easy take out the miniposts in the outlanes, so nudging is even more essential.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

But what does it say when you use the Little Demon and what does it say at the end of a game?.

Biff, Pow, Bam, Zap! Bang might be in there too.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Aurich, you should check it out. IMO a more fun game than Medusa. Medusa looks cool but the gameplay gets a bit tedious IMO.
rd

I'll put it on my watch list!

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

Biff, Pow, Bam, Zap! Bang might be in there too.

I hear the Pow and I think Bang. Zap!? Now I gotta go listen again.
Thanks.

#18 8 years ago

Anyone tried to install a smaller upper flipper?
I feel it reduces the bouncing action in front of the lock qualifier targets a bit.
It's even like the PF art work was made for the smaller flipper bat.
liaT snomeD.jpgliaT snomeD.jpg

#19 8 years ago

I like that idea a lot.

#20 8 years ago

In da club!image.jpgimage.jpg

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

In da club!image.jpg

Lionmannnnnnn - UNCHAAAAAAAAAAAINEEEDDDDDDDD!!!

you should get the roms changed to say that lol

rd

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Lionmannnnnnn - UNCHAAAAAAAAAAAINEEEDDDDDDDD!!!
you should get the roms changed to say that lol
rd

I'd be down with that

#23 8 years ago

Does anyone have a good sense of the rules? I'd like to study a rule sheet.
-mof

#24 8 years ago

gameplay video with basic rules explained.

#25 8 years ago

That video captures it pretty well.
Other shtuff not mentioned:
The 4 bank drops advance the lights in the middle above the circle: 15K, 30K, 50K, and special.
The lock saucers, when not lit for lock, alternate between a fixed value and paying the fireball bonus.
I haven't done it in awhile, but I think when you light ABCD in order it lights extra ball light under the three demon drops, and if you get all three in a specified time it's extra ball. It makes a great noise when it lights the extra ball.
I forget what makes the pops start flashing for 1k each.

#26 8 years ago

Owned it and sold it. Wish I didn't.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

Owned it and sold it. Wish I didn't.

Pinball machines and guitars. You always regret the ones you sold...

#28 8 years ago

What's the best strategy during multiball?
-mof

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

-mof

Flail wildly.

rd.

#30 8 years ago

haha. My usual strategy too

Quoted from mof:

Shoot for more multiball. Hit the three standups, "shoot for Fire Gods," repeat. Mebbe this is what the whippersnappers call "stacking"? I sometimes like to not launch the next one it spits out until I've drained the others, and then it's like starting a new ball again.

#31 8 years ago

Do the two banks of drops on the sides have little value in the game other than points?
-mof

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Do the two banks of drops on the sides have little value in the game other than points?
-mof

Left side advances Fireball bonus, right side advances doomsday bonus. Center bank advances doomsday bonus multiplier, and A-B-C-D advances Fireball bonus multiplier. Bonuses can get big in this game, much like Fathom with its two bonuses.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from neurokinetik:

Left side advances Fireball bonus, right side advances doomsday bonus. Center bank advances doomsday bonus multiplier, and A-B-C-D advances Fireball bonus multiplier. Bonuses can get big in this game, much like Fathom with its two bonuses.

Thanks, are those collected end of ball or with the saucers? or...
-mof

#34 8 years ago

Doomsday bonus is collected at end of ball. Fireball bonus is collected at the lit saucers, and depending on the DIP switch setting, it can also be collected at end of ball. I prefer that setting to be off, so you have to collect it at the saucers.

1 week later
#36 8 years ago

I had to spend some time fixing my FBII before I could put some time on it with game play. I have a rare-ish rectifier board (rev B) that was blowing the 15 amp fuse F5. After some time I was able to locate the short in the coin door GI socket and the GI circuit works now. My other issue was a bad Squawk & Talk board. That too has been fixed and the game now works 100%!!! I still need to do a complete tear down and rebuild/cleaning at some point down the road, but it's playable

So, after all of my repairs and replacing the lights with LEDs I was able to finally put some games on my machine. It's a pretty solid Classic Bally game and the Multi ball is similar to Fathom. The game plays fast and the sounds and artwork are very cool. The bonus trapped ball in the playfield is nice, but I wish it was more interactive...

This FBII is now my 10th Classic Bally. More to come? You bet your ass!!!

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#37 8 years ago

I'm in, great game.

DSC01860.jpgDSC01860.jpg

DSC01862.jpgDSC01862.jpg

DSC01861.jpgDSC01861.jpg

DSC01864.jpgDSC01864.jpg

#38 8 years ago

Wow Bellman this playfield looks so much better than "playable".
Did you or previous owner remove the inlane ball gates?

#39 8 years ago

Should both these under playfield aux lamp boards have the same parts, heres a pic.

DSC01868.jpgDSC01868.jpg

DSC01870.jpgDSC01870.jpg

DSC01871.jpgDSC01871.jpg

#40 8 years ago

Anyone want to hear some cool FireBall II sound effects?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-like-paragon-you-will-love/page/5#post-2588493

Very cool stuff!

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from kursiv:

Wow Bellman this playfield looks so much better than "playable".
Did you or previous owner remove the inlane ball gates?

Since I didn't know they were supposed to be there, I'm going with someone else removed them!

Anyone know where I can find these?

Thanks!

#42 8 years ago

I am needing some plastic for my Fireball II If any one has any they would sell or know if anybody make them. Please let me know At [email protected] thanks

#43 8 years ago

I am stoked on all this love for FB2.
Mine looks so tattered next to all these beauties. But it still plays like a champ.

#44 8 years ago

What do you guys think about the boards, should they both look the same? Please let me know.

#45 8 years ago

Mine are the same...

IMG_4498.jpgIMG_4498.jpg

IMG_4499.jpgIMG_4499.jpg

#46 8 years ago

Thank you sir, I will post some pics of the comet strips under the apron for you tomorow. I do it to all my games, sometimes a 3 LED strip in the shooter rod area as well.

419807.jpg419807.jpg

419817.jpg419817.jpg

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

I am stoked on all this love for FB2.
Mine looks so tattered next to all these beauties. But it still plays like a champ.

We were just waiting for it to happen someday. Still looking for stencils for a cabinet repaint?

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

Anyone know where I can find these?

Does a photo help?

Drop.jpgDrop.jpg

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from kursiv:

Does a photo help?
Drop.jpg

Are these for sale or just for reference?

Thank you either way!

#50 8 years ago

Reference only. Played some games without the ball gates installed with no problems at all. Buy them mostly for aesthetic reasons.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lemont, IL
2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Freeland, MD
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 614 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fireball-ii-club-members-only/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.