Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
24804-MMS-1535825093197-attachment1-IMG952018090195140408951 (resized).jpg
49 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jlbintn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Recently completed a playfield swap on this game. The game is operational and playable.

My question involves the captive ball feature in the middle of the playfield. Mine does not sling the ball back and forth as I have seen and been told it is supposed to do.

It moves the ball, but the movement of the captive ball seems "weak". When activated during game play, the ball moves upwards but likes to hang out over the button, never really moving up towards the top to be bounced back down over the button.

Is this just a weakness in an old coil? I am looking for some place to start in order to get this functioning the way I believe it should work. I hope that this is the correct forum to start this topic.

I am through the playfield swap and am now on to tuning the game up. New diodes on all switches, except captive ball. The original playfield and the junk playfield I bought for a template and spare parts did not have a diode on this particular switch. Coils are what came off of the original playfield and are functioning. All connectors have been redone in the backbox, with a few to go in the cabinet.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I am running a Callahan MPU, an Alltek Lamp Driver and SDB, and the original Squawk & Talk (with a pot and cap rebuild done).

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from KC_Masterpiece:

The switch in the center of the captive ball trough is tricky to adjust perfectly. If the gap is too small it will just hover around the center. You need to adjust the tension on the switch so that it has maximum travel before opening.
This is going from memory on a Fireball II that I owned many years ago.

Thank you very very much.

eta

That worked.

4 years later
#12 1 year ago

Does anybody know of, or if it exists, a suitable magnet coil replacement for the Fireball Unit, part number E-184-283?

#14 1 year ago

Is there any effective way to test these things? Other than building a new switch, which I'm going to do eventually, I think I have the switch as good as I can get it. I don't want to keep tweaking. I'm pretty sure a new magnet coil is the answer.

#16 1 year ago

Relay board?

The little Fireball Unit coil checks out fine voltage wise, and fires when I ground one lug. I'm not sure what you are referring to.

edit to add:

Coil I've got installed: G-36-6900.

#17 1 year ago

To paraphrase Obi-wan: This is not the coil I was looking for.

FO-36-7000 was the coil on the relay. Trying to remember back to the playfield swap and why I didn't put the original coil on. Dug through my spare parts and found the original coil, GO-36-6900. Put it on and the ball moves as it should.

Thanks BigAl56

1 week later
#18 1 year ago

Ran into an issue last night, where the ball doesn't move as the bonus counts down. I ran the game through test mode, the coil didn't fire. I manually worked the actuator, and it moved freely. Put the playfield down and it "corrected". Prior to this happening, I had played several games in a row to test the machine with the new rubber rings I had just put on. I needed to make a few minor switch adjustments, but nothing major. At any rate, it seemed to correct itself, and functioned properly after I tested and looked at it. I played a couple of games about an hour ago and it worked fine. Does anybody know the resistance on that coil? It's the original, GO-36-6900. I have a G-36-6900 sitting in storage that I just got from PBR. I cleaned up the old coil and put a new diode on before installing. The switch on the doodlebug is as tight as I can get it, although I did notice the fish paper lays on top of the top contact leaf, instead of "floating" in the middle.

Any thoughts?

edit to add

I'm running all Alltek boards. Only stock board left in the game is the S&T, and the two little boards mounted underneath the playfield.

#20 1 year ago

Thanks. Checked the wiring, it's all fine. Isolated the problem to the switch. It's intermittent, and if I understand coils properly, they either work or they don't work. The coil itself looks fine. I don't think it has ever been heated to excess, there are no indications that it has been at any rate.

I ran the game through the solenoid test. Every time I put my finger on the bottom of the switch, barely applying pressure, the coil fired. If I left it untouched, the coil wouldn't fire. The contacts are touching, by visual inspection. The switch looks perfect, but apparently it's not. Vibration.... or whatever, is causing the game to see the switch as open, intermittently. It might be the contacts on the switch. I bent the bottom leaf ever so slightly and the game has functioned fine since not long after I posted the problem.

I have all of the parts needed to rebuild the switch. I have done contacts, but never the lifters.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Freeland, MD
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jlbintn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fireball-ii-captive-ball-question?tu=jlbintn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.