20171125_182839 (resized).jpg
20171119_222227 (resized).jpg
9EB1B69E-6E50-4E5A-872F-BEE3C6F773B6 (resized).jpeg
8C4C0984-E311-42DE-B6AF-BC69168BE771 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
150924085912258608167 (resized).jpg
20170831_002103 (resized).jpg
20170823_203350 (resized).jpg
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

You know, this is something that's needed doing for quite a while. I wonder, once the design is 'completed' (are they ever REALLY complete), would you be interested in working out a deal to put your system into production? Maybe something along the lines of royalty / licensing payments going to a school club or science department, or something of that nature? Since it's your own complete design, and I'm assuming your own code, there wouldn't be any outside licencing issues to worry about.

I'm not sure what I would license. Most of the hardware is either open source(Arduino) or just basic circuits(MOSFET driver boards). Even the switch board is just a series of shift registers. I'm adding in some OPP hardware now. For the code, it's just Arduino code on the controller side and MPF Python on the other side. I couldn't copyright my changes to MPF even if I were inclined to do so.
And I didn't redesign the playfields(even my more in-depth Flash retheme is just getting a new magnet under the hood). If I ever build a completely custom playfield, I will revisit the question.

#52 6 years ago

Yup, just an assemblage of existing stuff.

Will probably start my own thread soon as I feel bad jumping on @thatonedude’s thread but were both basically doing the same thing and this thread is what inspired me to go the Arduino route.

For me most of the fun is coming up with a design, learning how the components work and work together and finally putting it together vs buying an off the shelf thing.

There are several systems out there already to between Fast Pinball, OPP, and other more mainstream commercial platforms. I don’t think the world needs another, so mine, as I think @thatonedude’s is for education and fun.

Anyway... once I start getting custom boards in I’ll probably seperate out and reference this thread so as to not clutter up the awesome stuff being done by ThatOneDude . Already I have revisions in mind and the first prototypes haven’t come back yet *sigh*

#53 6 years ago

Ok, ripped the PCBs off and put in a couple of orders for parts. The new coil and switches are on their way.
Next Steps:
1) Mount switches directly on playfield
2) Replace burnt coil
3) Replace my hack power system with the OPP power filter board.

I had some switches lying around, so they are going on this week.

#54 6 years ago

New coil installed. New spoon switch for the pop bumpers.
Currently printing a bracket to hold the switches.

20171119_222227 (resized).jpg20171119_222227 (resized).jpg

#55 6 years ago

While I'm waiting on parts on the fireball, the cabinet rebuild for project #2 is proceeding. It's starting to look like a pinball cabinet again.

20171125_182839 (resized).jpg20171125_182839 (resized).jpg

20171123_125725 (resized).jpg20171123_125725 (resized).jpg

#56 6 years ago

Hey, that looks like a Tropic Fun/Gulf Stream backglass back there. Is the second machine going to be a converted EM to solid state? I love the sound of score reels and chimes in a machine! I'll be interested to see what you do with the giant state memory bar that lived under the playfield. (big relay bar filled with set relays that remembers the state of all the matrix lights during a game). Nice replacement of the front of the cabinet!

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from openpinballproj:

Is the second machine going to be a converted EM to solid state?

You have a good eye. It was, indeed, a Gulfstream. However, it had some serious corrosion issues. I suspect that the backbox and the front of the cab were both exposed directly to the elements.
The guy I bought it from restores EMs, and he was selling it as a parts machine. I needed a cabinet for a project, so I picked it up. I don't think that he thought the cabinet was worth saving. Parts were delaminating, and the front was a loss. Surprisingly, the coin mech looks salvage, when the mechanisms behind it were ruined. So, I knocked the front off, started gluing laminates and making liberal use of wood filter. This weekend, I finally got around to making the cuts for the front. Had to eyeball most of the angles, but I think it came out ok. Probably would have been less effort to find a better cabinet, but I wanted at least something from this machine to live on. Although my youngest son lay claim to the playfield, and I suspect has plans for his own game.
The EM parts went to the Pacific Pinball Museum. They were glad to get some Williams parts.
EDIT: I originally was going to help the high school rebuild this one, too, but the instructor didn't want the kids poking around with high voltage relays and solenoids.

#58 6 years ago

In the Fireball project, I'm currently waiting for OPP boards for the power filter and solenoids. Mezel mods were out of stock for a bit, but they are winging their to me now.
I'm also designing a bracket to hold the original switches at the right height on the playfield. And I've come up with a better design for the LED holder.

#59 6 years ago

So, I made a big(for me) order from Mouser for the parts to populate the OPP power filter and solenoid boards. Paid with paypal. They promptly told me:
"To comply with government regulations, PayPal is required to review certain transactions. The payment you sent is currently being reviewed and we will complete this process within 72 hours."
Lovely.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Ok, ripped the PCBs off and put in a couple of orders for parts. The new coil and switches are on their way.
Next Steps:
1) Mount switches directly on playfield
2) Replace burnt coil
3) Replace my hack power system with the OPP power filter board.
I had some switches lying around, so they are going on this week.

Best thing I ever did was rip out those boards on the underside of the playfield and wire in real parts.

#61 6 years ago

I finished the switch bracket design. Tomorrow, I'll be printing the new LED holder to test. I'll post some pics then.
PayPal refunded my money and I was able to get the order paid for with a credit card. So, three steps closer.

#62 6 years ago

The new LED holder.
Once I've tested them a bit more, I'll post the STL files.

20171202_105304 (resized).jpg20171202_105304 (resized).jpg

20171202_105313 (resized).jpg20171202_105313 (resized).jpg

#63 6 years ago

Hmmm. That's going to be a lot of soldering per LED. Did you simply cut down an LED strip? That would be a great cost savings idea to be able to cut down an LED strip, and use the LED package to hold it in your 3D printed holder. The reason I don't believe that you did that is because all the strips that I used have the LED and the leads on the same side of the strip. At this point, if I was laying out a playfield, I would use one of the standard LED spacings (30, 60, 90 or 144 LEDs/meter) and use a continuous strip for as many of the LEDs in a row as I could, then use multiple strips to fill the inserts that don't lay in a line. (The other nice thing is that if you use a strip and can use multiple at once, it reduces the soldering a lot.)

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from openpinballproj:

That's going to be a lot of soldering per LED.

Yes, it is. I like these serially controlled LEDs. I use three conductor wire which makes it fairly easy to solder each side in a few seconds by keeping it with the right spacing.
Given the variability of spacing with the playfields I'm using, it's easier to make the strips myself.

#65 6 years ago

The new power filter board is now together. Next up is the new solenoid drivers.
This is the one Hugh designed for the OPP system, and it went together nicely. Thanks, openpinballproj

20171206_233618 (resized).jpg20171206_233618 (resized).jpg

#66 6 years ago

Got ambitious and built a solenoid driver board, too.

20171207_003439 (resized).jpg20171207_003439 (resized).jpg

#67 6 years ago

Just remember you can’t mount two solenoid boards beside each other with the direct switch connector in place - it sticks out over the edge.

OPP is perfect for this, good choice!

#68 6 years ago

There are actually 2 versions of the solenoid board. With the original version (rev -), it was much more of an issue. The newer version has as much spacing as I could get for the connector without changing the board size but it is still really tight.

I have a good number of populated boards using two solenoid wings side by side. (That tends to be my default configuration if I need 2 solenoids on a single PSoC because it minimizes the amount of wiring on the back of the card). Even with the new layout, it does "splay" the solenoid wings slightly.

#69 6 years ago

One of these days I’m going to draw up the plug in boards I keep meaning to, where you have everything in a single board in the typical configs - solenoid/switch, all lamp, all switch, all solenoid - and you just mount the controller board on that. Then you’re not jamming it all together and there’s room to do rework, more connector space, etc.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

One of these days I’m going to draw up the plug in boards I keep meaning to, where you have everything in a single board in the typical configs - solenoid/switch, all lamp, all switch, all solenoid - and you just mount the controller board on that. Then you’re not jamming it all together and there’s room to do rework, more connector space, etc.

That configuration would have been the tipping point for me to use OPP in my project. No loss though as I really like the power filter and am really liking making my own, especially as a visual aid.

#71 6 years ago

Apologies to ThatOneDude for being off topic (I only read about 3 threads on pinside) but @jwilson, I could never figure out what a good standard configuration should be. On Van Halen the boards are 4 incand, 2 incand + 2 inp, 2 sol + 2 inp, and 1 sol + 3 inp. SS3 is 2 hi incand + 1 sol + 1 inp, (2 copies of this config) 1 hi incand + 1 sol + 2 inp, and 2 hi incand + 2 inp. It's a pretty wide swath of different types of boards. The inputs are really nice because they just fit on the processor board and it makes a really small footprint for the card under the playfield. I guess you could make a board that depending on population would contain everything, but that might get too expensive. Maybe it could all fit on a 10 cm x 10 cm board (kind of doubting it with incand and solenoid since both of those boards are pretty packed), but that would mean the raw board price would be $3ish and then with markups, you would have to sell it for at least $10 or $12 each. It forces things to be more centralized instead of distributed, which would cause more wiring and maybe force cards back up in the backbox again. If interested in discussing this further, please split off onto another thread so we don't dirty this one up with unrelated info.

#72 6 years ago

If you do split off the discussion, please add a link here, since I'm interested. Thanks!

1 week later
#74 6 years ago

Putting the main board together now. Had some trouble last night that Hugh has already helped me with, so I'll try to wrap it up today.
This is certainly cleaner than the original plan, which mounted some of the power boards on the playfield and generally made things a mess.
Mike's Rule #1 of building stuff - Order extra parts, under the assumption that you will make a boneheaded mistake.

new_board (resized).jpegnew_board (resized).jpeg

#75 6 years ago

After a flood of emails to Hugh and a few "AHA" moments, I now have the solenoid drivers firing consistently. Hopeful that this time, the light at the end of the tunnel isn't an oncoming train!

#76 6 years ago

After I messed about for far too long, I have succeeded in finishing part one of the project. My "first flip" video is a solenoid test firing pattern.
Many thanks to Hugh at the Open Pinball Project. He's absolutely tops.

20171223_160931 (resized).jpg20171223_160931 (resized).jpg

20171223_160922 (resized).jpg20171223_160922 (resized).jpg

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

After a flood of emails to Hugh and a few "AHA" moments, I now have the solenoid drivers firing consistently.

Hmm, anything I can put in the OPP documentation to help people avoid the issues you had?

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Hmm, anything I can put in the OPP documentation to help people avoid the issues you had?

The bits I missed:
1) I tied the wrong "ground" between the two power supplies. In my case, it needed to be V- from the 24v supply to the common ground on an ATX part supply. I connected it to earth ground.
2) double check the coil wiring. In my case, double check your double checks. Or practice desoldering MOSFETs. :/
3) the "auto fire" mechanism assumes that it's connected to the Cypress board. Otherwise, it's just a nicely designed MOSFET board. The mention of firing a solenoid without a computer coupled with the simplified switch wiring example gave me a mistaken impression of how the board worked.
Most of this could be remedied with a quick paragraph about using some of the boards without a Cypress processor. I could write up a quick example and post it.

#79 6 years ago

That would be great, thanks. Just drop me a PM and I can update the wiki.

1 month later
#80 6 years ago

Ok, so updates may be long in between here. I delivered the game to the high school last weekend, and they are working on the rest. As they make progress, I'll have the teacher snap some shots and I'll post then here. Thanks to everyone who have suggestions and help!
Now, it's time to move a bit quicker on my rebuild/retheme project

4 months later
#81 5 years ago

Nice to see open projects giving bavk to thr community.

Too many people are going closed project and selling off. Never leaving a full blueprint to follow...

Thanks for the read.

#82 5 years ago

Yeah, I post all of my code(when it's cleaned up enough to not embarrass me).

3 months later
#83 5 years ago

I should note that, due to some changes at the high school, I ended up picking up the Fireball and getting it to another Pinsider, who is continuing the project.

1 year later
#84 3 years ago

Any updates on this machine?

#85 3 years ago

Not from me. The project had changed hands a couple of times. Right now, she's working on another project, so this one is in limbo.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fireball-home-arduinoraspberry-pi-rebuild/page/2?hl=lovelycoconuts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.