Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Skidave
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I own 4 Bally EMs. My Fireball gets dirty faster than all of the EMs. Anyone have opinions as to why? This is my only multi-ball game. Would that have something to do with it?

#2 3 years ago

maybe the inside of the metal tunnel at the end of the skillshot is full of dirt?

#3 3 years ago

Everything was stripped and cleaned 864 games ago. I have cleaned it about every 300 games. At 300, the rubbers are filthy with coil dust. The microfiber looks dirty too when I wax.

#4 3 years ago

Maybe the spinning disk is leaving residue behind?

#5 3 years ago

You may find the answers you are seeking in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-they-wont-tell-you-about-gottlieb-

#6 3 years ago

My vote is for the rubber spinning disk.

#7 3 years ago

Spinning disk gets black like the rubbers. It is not shedding.

#8 3 years ago

Do you clean the disc too?

Clean all the parts of the trough and trough eject.

#9 3 years ago

I clean the entire game. Rails, disc, rubbers playfield rollover buttons, etc. all get a wipe down (carefully) with Naphtha. Then I wax the playfield. Same way I treat all my games.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

I clean the entire game. Rails, disc, rubbers playfield rollover buttons, etc. all get a wipe down (carefully) with Naphtha. Then I wax the playfield. Same way I treat all my games.

Not sure where the dirt is collecting and letting the ball spread it around them. Weird one for sure.

#11 3 years ago

Link says I'm not allowed in.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not sure where the dirt is collecting and letting the ball spread it around them. Weird one for sure.

Is it from being a multi-ball game? I use balls from PB Resource. Should I try balls from another supplier?

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

Is it from being a multi-ball game? I use balls from PB Resource. Should I try balls from another supplier?

Not sure how that would help but sure try some different balls. Multiball games will dirty up easier sure, but the dirt has to be coming from somewhere.

#14 3 years ago

I would clean under the playfield and in the cabinet. Maybe the spinning disc is acting like a fan and causing fine dirt to get sucked up into the playfield.

#15 3 years ago

When you last cleaned it, did you replace or clean all of the coil sleeves and clean up the plungers, stops and assemblies?

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

Link says I'm not allowed in.

I got the same message.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

Spinning disk gets black like the rubbers.

Difference being that you probably replace the rubbers with fresh ones when you clean the machine. The disk has been there since the birth of the game, unless it has been changed with a NOS one later in life. Even then, the material will be from 1972, so a lot more brittle than when new and fresh.

Quoted from Skidave:

It is not shedding.

Shedding might not be the word, but the disk is definitely subjective to wear. We're talking tiny specks here. Specks that are too small to see when playing, but when accumulated are visible and capable of making a machine dirty as hell.

I'm not saying this is definitely the cause, but I wouldn't dismiss it this easily.

#18 3 years ago

Coil sleeves are new and everything was stripped and cleaned except pop bumper bodies and metal rings. They are original. The spinning disk rubber is in great shape and collects the same dirt as everything else. Since it is rubber, it is keeping the dirt just like the rubber rings. A wipe of Naphtha and it is clean. I just use a clean spot on the microfiber cloth to lightly wax the spinning disk and the wipe it clean.

#19 3 years ago

Vacuum out the entire inside of the cabinet. Have you cleaned the whole spinning disk mech?

#20 3 years ago

What kind of wax are you using?

#21 3 years ago

Cabinet was vacuumed. I had the whole relay board out. I didn't breakdown the whole spinning disc and lube and reassemble. I did clean everything on the exterior of the disc assembly.

For wax, I use P21S. I couldn't easily find Blitz. I have been using P21S for years and I like it.

I just find it interesting it appears to be dirtier quicker than my other machines. I don't think anything is wrong.

#22 3 years ago

Must be the game's personality then. When I was younger, I tended to get dirty quicker than my friends as well.

Matter of fact, I still do. I stopped asking why and just enjoy it.

#23 3 years ago

Are you using P21S Blue can or P21S Silver can? Blue can is a mix of Carnauba and Beeswax, the silver can is pure Carnauba wax. If your using the blue can, maybe this is your problem. Here is all of the post regarding P21S wax on Vids waxing machines thread. You need to go down far to see more detailed responses.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide?tq=P21s&tu=

#24 3 years ago

Coil stops and plungers create the black dust.

#25 3 years ago

Might be time to teach those kids how to shop out your games. If their old enough to play, their old enough to clean. My 1st job at 14 was cleaning pins at a swim club along with other duties. In 1974 that paid $1.50 an hour, but at least I got play pinball for free. Plus it will free time for my board work I need done!

#26 3 years ago

Too funny, Tom! It's the middle child racking up games on all the machines. I showed him how to clean and wax. I might take up your suggestion and get him started.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Durham, NC
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fireball-gets-dirty-quick-why?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.