Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 5.47.43 PM (resized).png
IMG_2504 (resized).JPG
IMG_2503 (resized).JPG
Bally Fireball 10pt re (resized).jpg
bally fireball zipper 0 (resized).jpg
IMG_4941 (resized).jpg
IMG_4940 (resized).jpg
IMG_2502 (resized).JPG
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

Got this game 18 months ago. Have not had much time to work on it, real life took control. I have finally got back to tinkering with it. I can only play three players. Fourth game will not "que" up, despite there being enough credits to do so. Any suggestions on where to start?

There is no diagnostic mode for this, being that it is an EM game, correct?

#2 1 year ago

Check the coin unit, there is a zero position switch which opens when 4 players have been selected, it may be that the switch is opening early, ie when 3 players have been selected.

There is no diagnostic mode.

#4 1 year ago

There are two coin units, both with micro-switches. Not sure how to tell if one (or both) are open early, e.g., when I select the third player or attempting to select the fourth player. Not sure if it's related, the credit counter never goes past ten. Just stops when I reach ten credits. Pertaining to micro-switches, is opening early an internal function in the switch. The arms look normal, not like they have been mangled.

#5 1 year ago

The coin mech is a step up/reset unit that is on the mechanical board behind the transformer and across from the score motor. You were referring to the coin mechs and switches on the door.

#6 1 year ago

Sorry, I should have been clearer, the coin unit is a stepper unit, there are several of these in the game, ball count unit, player unit, credit unit, match unit/00-90 unit.
It should have a label on it saying coin unit but the label may be missing.

I don't have a Fireball but looking at pictures on IPDB the coin unit looks to be in the backbox, top centre.

#7 1 year ago

Thanks for the clarification. I found the coin unit in the backbox. Schematics would be nice, but I don't have any. Here are the issues I'm encountering, pretty sure they're all tied to once source. Just a guess at that, though.

Can't play four player games.
Credits cap at 10.
Ball three indicator does not work, except momentarily when ball four comes out of the outhole.
Ball 5 indicator does not work.

Bulbs are good.

Game plays well enough, the flippers feel weak, not surprising from a 50 year old game that needs some TLC, but that's not my primary concern at the moment.

I put new fuse holders in, the old ones needed to be retired

I'll keep all posted. Many thanks for the help thus far

#9 1 year ago

Update: third ball in play is now working. Don't ask me why or how, I didn't do anything.

1 week later
#10 1 year ago

Both flipper units rebuilt, yesterday. While not the response from a SS game, much much better. Flippers still will not close when hitting the mushroom, but that was a recurring issue prior to the rebuild. They will stay closed if I push them into that position, but just retract in, then immediately back to normal when the ball hits the mushroom.

Having the playfield raised up to work on has resulted in several other lights starting to illuminate, all on the playfield. The game plays well enough, the grand-kids (and the wife) really like it

#11 1 year ago

The mechanics and "Close flipper M-B relay" seems to be working correct. For the flippers to stay closed, these switches need to be adjusted correctly:
closeflipper (resized).pngcloseflipper (resized).png
closeflipper2 (resized).pngcloseflipper2 (resized).png
There's two NC switches labeled "Close flipper solenoid EOS" in the schematics. Adjust the solenoid EOS so that the locking claw has enough time to get hold before power is cut, and the relay EOS so that it cuts power at the same time or later than the solenoid EOS. The "Close flipper M-B RE" switch should have the smallest switch gap possible for fast reaction time.

#12 1 year ago

So, the adjustments are all related to the flippers? I'm trying to be sure I understand which switches need to be adjusted so the lock catches and holds the flippers closed.

#13 1 year ago

Flipper_closed(1) (resized).JPGFlipper_closed(1) (resized).JPG
Here's the "Close flipper solenoid EOS" switches in the closed position.

#14 1 year ago

Thank you

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

So, the adjustments are all related to the flippers? I'm trying to be sure I understand which switches need to be adjusted so the lock catches and holds the flippers closed.

Will yours close electronically but not stay latched?
For my The Wiggler which has zipper-flippers, the manual has an "effective adjustment for moveable flippers" page https://www.ipdb.org/files/2777/The_Wiggler.pdf

"Clays Guide" http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm is a great resource on working on these machines ! fixing gummed up steppers & cleaning rivits ect.

sounds like the machine is mostly working an being enjoyed so only deal with ""one crisis at a time""
you get 4'th player to "coin-up" ? I suspect gummed up "coin unit" stepper

ball 3 lamp not working fixed? I suspect dirty rivet on "ball count unit" --- or a dirty socket

credit stepper stops at 10 credits ? ... there is a moveable stop post to limit the credit wheel to either 10-15-20 or 25 credits .... "Clays Guide" can instruct you how to set the machine to "free-play" if you wish

keep us posted

#16 1 year ago

Yes, they try to close electronically, but they will not stay closed. This has been an on again off again issue since I got the machine. Since I had the playfield up to rebuild the flippers, it is now a "permanent" issue. They will not lock closed. How loose should that bar be? I notice two screws in there that can be tightened along the slide path. Both are very very loose. In reference to the switch when closed, my switches do not look that way (see picture in the post prior to yours) at all when the flippers are closed. I have made no adjustment on them whatsoever at this point, so kind of perplexed at why they ever did work.

Got the credit issue resolved, by relocating the stop. Can't believe I looked right at that and didn't see it earlier. Probably focused on the other crises, instead of one at a time

Is there any place that sells packaged leaf switch kits in large scale. I suspect that that flipper switch is going to need a rebuild, and probably not the only one. Four players is now crediting properly, at least the last several times I tried.

Thanks for the information, was very helpful.

#17 1 year ago
Fireball1 (resized).jpgFireball1 (resized).jpgFireball2 (resized).jpgFireball2 (resized).jpg
#18 1 year ago

I replaced two relay coils on the machine yesterday, the 10 score relay and the flipper close relay. Ten points are not scoring (that started right after I rebuilt the flippers) and as is probably evident, the flipper close switch looks quite crispy. The old coil was burnt.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

Is there any place that sells packaged leaf switch kits in large scale

You can buy the leafs and the contacts, and assemble them as you need them.
http://www.pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm#common

#20 1 year ago

It looks like your switches cuts power too early. Try bending the non-moving blades so that the gap becomes tighter.

#21 1 year ago

Got the zipper switch adjusted, it closes properly, only thing that reopens the flippers is hitting that mushroom again. Tilting the machine, ball drain down the out-hole or hitting the other two mushrooms does not open them. To avoid the coil getting overheated, I must tap that mushroom. Even powering off the machine does not cause them to reopen.

For the close flipper solenoid EOS switch, when it goes back to the open position, should the two leaf blades on the bottom (as per sizteves photo) still be in contact?

Some other symptoms, maybe related, maybe not:

The 1000 score relay sticks from time to time. The 10 score relay sticks on any hit that would score 10 points. I have to open it with a business card to keep it from burning up.

The only commonality is that all of this started after I had the playfield up to rebuild the flippers.

On the relay coils, is there an acceptable equivalent for the G-30-1500?

#22 1 year ago

The close flipper solenoid shouldn't have any power when the flipper assembly is locked in closed position. Can you post a picture of the switches after adjustment (in both positions)?

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

Got the zipper switch adjusted, it closes properly, only thing that reopens the flippers is hitting that mushroom again. Tilting the machine, ball drain down the out-hole or hitting the other two mushrooms does not open them. To avoid the coil getting overheated, I must tap that mushroom. Even powering off the machine does not cause them to reopen.
For the close flipper solenoid EOS switch, when it goes back to the open position, should the two leaf blades on the bottom (as per sizteves photo) still be in contact?
Some other symptoms, maybe related, maybe not:
The 1000 score relay sticks from time to time. The 10 score relay sticks on any hit that would score 10 points. I have to open it with a business card to keep it from burning up.
The only commonality is that all of this started after I had the playfield up to rebuild the flippers.
On the relay coils, is there an acceptable equivalent for the G-30-1500?

It kind of sounds like the latch mechanism isn't quite adjusted right, you say hitting the "close flipper" ""M-B"" (mushroom bumper) again will open the flippers when they are closed?
Bally Fireball open flippers (resized).jpgBally Fireball open flippers (resized).jpg
So when they are closed, to energize the "open flipper" coil the "close flipper EOS" switch needs to be closed and ANY of the following switches need to close;

the "open flipper relay" energized by the either Odin or Wotan M-B,
the tilt relay
the game over relay
or "the 3'rd ball" relay ... balls 1& 2 might be under the apron already or ball 1 in Odin or Wotan with Ball 2 under apron ect.

Typing all that out leads me to think it's the close flipper EOS switch as sizteves suspects

from my Joust ...

OpenIMG_2501 (resized).JPGIMG_2501 (resized).JPG

Closed IMG_2502 (resized).JPGIMG_2502 (resized).JPG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
look for a missing spring on your 10 pt. relay -OR- does it do this on all 4 players ? if not the EOS switch on the offending players 10 pt. score reel

guessing EOS switch on 1,000 pt. reel as well

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve at The Pinball Resource has that G30-1500 coil in stock http://www.pbresource.com/coilbly.html

Bally Fireball open flippers (resized).jpgBally Fireball open flippers (resized).jpg

#24 1 year ago

10 point coil sticks on all players. All springs accounted for.

#25 1 year ago

openopenclosedclosed

First picture is open, second is closed

Edit to add:

noticed while testing, if I do not hit one of the mushroom bumpers (Odin, Wotan), hitting the blue mushroom (while flippers are closed) does nothing. I hit one of the other two mushrooms (doesn't matter which) then hit the blue mushroom, the flippers open.

Upon further review: the buzzing from the zipper's coil is because it is attempting to open after a drain or hit on Odin/Wotan. So, it is trying to open

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

[quoted image][quoted image]
First picture is open, second is closed
Edit to add:
noticed while testing, if I do not hit one of the mushroom bumpers (Odin, Wotan), hitting the blue mushroom (while flippers are closed) does nothing. I hit one of the other two mushrooms (doesn't matter which) then hit the blue mushroom, the flippers open.
Upon further review: the buzzing from the zipper's coil is because it is attempting to open after a drain or hit on Odin/Wotan. So, it is trying to open

The plastic latch could have a burr or something causing it to hang up or something in the sliding gizmos .... it should move manually smoothly.

first picture is me pushing the flippers closed:IMG_2503 (resized).JPGIMG_2503 (resized).JPG

Next is me releasing the catch: IMG_2504 (resized).JPGIMG_2504 (resized).JPG

see that things operate smoothly

Yeah I wished I still had a Fireball , it looks like your switch stack is different from my Joust

I DID notice the lowest set of blades do NOT change state with either open or closed, tighten the screws before adjusting is always a good habitbally fireball zipper 0 (resized).jpgbally fireball zipper 0 (resized).jpg

I suppose all 4 10 pt. score reels EOS's could be mis-adjusted to where they never open Bally Fireball 10pt re (resized).jpgBally Fireball 10pt re (resized).jpg

#27 1 year ago

I noticed the difference in the leaf stacks from your picture. Everything was functioning prior to rebuilding the flippers. Something went off the rails during or after that. I'm not happy about that, but I'm not at all surprised

edit to add

the mechanism opens and closes smoothly, doing it manually

In the backbox, on the panel where the score coils mount, behind the 10 point coil.... there was a fire there at some point in the past. And there was definitely some type of rebuild on the harness behind that coil. Everything else on the wood looks fine, but that area is charred, not just brown from overheating, but charred

#28 1 year ago

Replaced the lowest leaf. The old one was pretty shot. As to your observation about the two lower leaf switches never changing state, I'm confused. Manually triggering the zipper mech, there is a noticeable gap between those two, until the latch snaps back a tiny bit once it's set. Are not those two leafs always supposed to be in contact, except that momentary gap when the flippers close?

Sorry if the answer is obvious, I'm just not seeing it. I think I've been looking at it for too long, and that could be the problem

#29 1 year ago

Yessss!!! Victory of sorts.

Not with the zipper flipper, but with the 10 point coil problem. There appears to be some slippage of one of the connectors that was part of the rebuild after whatever caused that burn in the wood.

Just moved the harness around, and the game functioned perfectly relative to scoring. One of the wires is slipping out of the connector and is exposed, noticed it while re-arranging that cluster of wires. Pain in the ass to take things apart, but it doesn't feel like chasing a ghost anymore.

Nice way to end the weekend

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

Are not those two leafs always supposed to be in contact, except that momentary gap when the flippers close?

I don't think they are. That may explain why the flippers open when you first hit the Odin or Wutan mushrooms and then the blue mushroom. Odin and Wutan mushrooms trigger the open flipper relay and its holding circuit trough the closed upper EOS switches, but since the flippers don't open it stays energized. The close flipper relay then activated by the blue mushroom gives power to the solenoid just for a split second trough the closed solenoid EOS switch, but the relay does not hold in because of the open relay EOS switch. This unintentionally makes it easier for the open flipper coil to move the holding claw if there's something mechanical and/or low power issue preventing it.

#31 1 year ago

Gapping those two leaf switches when closed disables the workaround. They close fine, but just buzzing noises from the coil after hitting Odin or Wotan and the blue mushroom tap does not open them again. So, I adjusted it back to no gap when closed and I'm back to where I was

#32 1 year ago

Seems to be either a mechanical issue or not enough power to the open flipper coil then. Coil spring too tight? Low voltage from transformer?

#33 1 year ago

I might have to walk away from this. I should have just waited and bought one that had been re-worked or was in a bit better condition than mine. I don't have the expertise to do this, not at the level I need to have at any rate. I'm a relatively quick study, but time isn't the luxury it was. I'm not good at schematics, either.

I don't want to give up on it, but that may be out of my control. Still have the 10 point coil issue, although all wires have been re-worked. Seems to be relegated to sticking switches on some parts of the playfield. A hit on another 10 point area or a 100 or 1000 point score unsticks the coil and the score registers.

I suppose weak coils could be an issue. Re-flowing the connects on the transformer may not be a bad idea. The zipper switches are now set up as they should be, but not opening when they should.

<shrugs>

#34 1 year ago

That game is over 50 years old, giving it a short break will be defiantly ok. I was totally overwhelmed with my first machine ( a Capt. Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy )

I wished I lived closer, they can be real head-scratchers at times

#35 1 year ago

Yeah, what would be really nice right now is to have another set of eyes on the game. I'm not timid with these things, but I always seem to find the problem children, i.e., those that need work

I'll get it figured out, the help around here is pretty solid and it does make a project like this easier.

How would you determine if the coil spring is too tight? Can that bigger spring cause the problem I am experiencing?

Edit to add

The blue mushroom for the zipper, is it supposed to score when it's hit?

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

Can that bigger spring cause the problem I am experiencing?

That may be possible. From the photos, it looks like yours have been shortened and stretched, which will make it too strong for the other parts of the mechanics to handle.

#37 1 year ago

Looking at the springs in the pictures provided, I see what you are suggesting. Any suggestions on a replacement, primarily where I could fine one? Anybody know the part number for that spring?

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

Looking at the springs in the pictures provided, I see what you are suggesting. Any suggestions on a replacement, primarily where I could fine one? Anybody know the part number for that spring?

https://online.fliphtml5.com/vrtyz/wmrn/#p=172

""SP-100-252""

I would call Steve at Pinball resource first myself ... but see one here https://www.bestofpinball.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=135_213_328&products_id=12632&language=en

#39 1 year ago

TYVM!!!

That is very helpful

https://online.fliphtml5.com/vrtyz/wmrn/#p=197

Part # A-1653-1 is the lamp socket used in the backbox for ball in play, game over, etc., correct? Is is possible to use a bayonet socket as a replacement?

1 week later
#40 1 year ago

Resolved:

Mushroom bumper now scores 100 points. Flippers close fine, but will not open. Testing leads me to believe that big spring is the issue, once locked closed it is so tight it will not allow the coil to pull down the latch.

Player up stepper cleaned and adjusted, which fixed a minor issue with the game displaying Player 1 and 2 simultaneously after a fourth player ball drain.

Transformer is good, before and after reflowing the connections with a new power cord. Wasn't really worried about the transformer.

Sooooo, replacing that spring is number 1 on the list atm.

#41 1 year ago

For the most part, it's working fine. The spring wasn't the only issue I eventually dealt with, the coil was a bit weak so I replaced it when the spring arrived.

Question.

What would cause the armature to stick to the coil after the flippers open? Doesn't do it all of the time, but pretty sure it's not (small) spring related. I have to push it off, and by push I mean not much, as there is barely any resistance, but there is some resistance there. As a result, it takes a couple of attempts on the mushroom to break it free before it will close again.

Measured the close coil on the zipper, it's reading 8.5 - 9 ohms, so good there. I cleaned up the entire unit - it was a greasy mess. Installed new nyliners as well.

Anyway, progressing nicely and it is, basically playable now (again)

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

For the most part, it's working fine. The spring wasn't the only issue I eventually dealt with, the coil was a bit weak so I replaced it when the spring arrived.
Question.
What would cause the armature to stick to the coil after the flippers open? Doesn't do it all of the time, but pretty sure it's not (small) spring related. I have to push it off, and by push I mean not much, as there is barely any resistance, but there is some resistance there. As a result, it takes a couple of attempts on the mushroom to break it free before it will close again.
Measured the close coil on the zipper, it's reading 8.5 - 9 ohms, so good there. I cleaned up the entire unit - it was a greasy mess. Installed new nyliners as well.
Anyway, progressing nicely and it is, basically playable now (again)

The catch plate may be magnetized ? I think I was able to check one with a screwdriver ( had to make sure it wasn't the screwdriver that wasn't magnetized with something else :p ) my solution may have been to use hook the next loop on the armature spring

#43 1 year ago

Definitely magnetized, just enough too. I don't know that I want to mess with that spring, until I can secure a replacement. Right now, it's down to having to hit the mushroom once to pull that armature up. That's a quirk I can live with until another solution comes along.

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

Definitely magnetized, just enough too. I don't know that I want to mess with that spring, until I can secure a replacement. Right now, it's down to having to hit the mushroom once to pull that armature up. That's a quirk I can live with until another solution comes along.

During play, when the ball hits the mushroom, nudge the machine at the same exact time ( a downward hit with both palms on the lockdown bar shouldn't affect the tilt-bob )

I may also have removed the magnetized armature plate & whacking it with a hammer a few times to try & De-magnitize it.

#45 1 year ago

I found an armature at JT Amusements for $14.95. Steve didn't have that (or the spring) in stock. I'll see if that fixes it up. If it shows some magnetism, I think I'll try the hammer beating first before installing it, instead of some of the more exotic remedies.

Just finished running it through some tests before making this post. And one sequence, it did close as it should, without needing two hits to shake that thing loose. And, while not applying your solution, I think I hit the flippers at the same time the mushroom was hit and it closed, so same effect.

Another question, and it is outlane related. I read in the manual that posts can be installed to make draining a bit more difficult. Right now it's a damn drain guru. It refers to an illustration that is not in the manual I have. That's next on the to-do list, but not until I can find a good picture or illustration of where they should/could go.

There are still some quirks (ball 5 light for instance), but finally, no game-breakers. I suspect this game, being so old, may have those from time to time. And I need to find something that will work as a good bulb puller for those back-box bulbs.

What a pain in the ass they are, especially the match row.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

And I need to find something that will work as a good bulb puller for those back-box bulbs.

Try the white rubber tip from a plunger rod to reach in and grip/twist.

#47 1 year ago

I used to use the shooter tip and finally bought these https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-1012-Remover-Installer/dp/B01N0OD0VB/ref=asc_df_B01N0OD0VB/

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 5.47.43 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-09-18 at 5.47.43 PM (resized).png

#48 1 year ago

Thanks

#49 1 year ago

Some shots. Odin lane is the worst of the wear on the playfield. Would love to find a stencil. Or, color me crazy, if I could find a playfield I might just roll with a swap.

Edit to add:

The playfield was pretty dirty when I got the game. Fifty years old, no surprises obviously. We tried to clean it up as best we could, but some of the dark marks in areas were just not coming up so we did what we could and then invested in a playfield protector. Every once in a while we have issues with the buttons, specifically the 10 point buttons getting trapped because the protector shifts ever so slightly. Eventually I'll try to trim them out just a bit, but it's not happening often so that can wait.

Anyway, still looking for a photo on the posts that can be placed at the outlanes to make draining harder. It was referenced in the manual, but I have yet to find the illustration it refers to, FO-320, which is on page 7 under Playfield Panel Post Adjustments. Unless that is referring to something entirely different. Right now, the game is "set" to Easier.

Ball 5 issue is/was related to the Ball Count Unit. I cleaned it up some, lots of black crap came off. I suspect grease from the zipper unit.
IMG_6620 (resized).jpgIMG_6620 (resized).jpgIMG_6621 (resized).jpgIMG_6621 (resized).jpgIMG_6622 (resized).jpgIMG_6622 (resized).jpgIMG_6623 (resized).jpgIMG_6623 (resized).jpgIMG_6627 (resized).jpgIMG_6627 (resized).jpgIMG_6632 (resized).jpgIMG_6632 (resized).jpg

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

Some shots. Odin lane is the worst of the wear on the playfield. Would love to find a stencil. Or, color me crazy, if I could find a playfield I might just roll with a swap.
Edit to add:
The playfield was pretty dirty when I got the game. Fifty years old, no surprises obviously. We tried to clean it up as best we could, but some of the dark marks in areas were just not coming up so we did what we could and then invested in a playfield protector. Every once in a while we have issues with the buttons, specifically the 10 point buttons getting trapped because the protector shifts ever so slightly. Eventually I'll try to trim them out just a bit, but it's not happening often so that can wait.
Anyway, still looking for a photo on the posts that can be placed at the outlanes to make draining harder. It was referenced in the manual, but I have yet to find the illustration it refers to, FO-320, which is on page 7 under Playfield Panel Post Adjustments. Unless that is referring to something entirely different. Right now, the game is "set" to Easier.
Ball 5 issue is/was related to the Ball Count Unit. I cleaned it up some, lots of black crap came off. I suspect grease from the zipper unit.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah I can't find "FO-320" image in the manual either , I think it refers to the posts under the slingshot plastics ... had to steel a pic off of a go0gle

Fireball post adjustment (resized).jpgFireball post adjustment (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
$ 12.00
$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fireball-fourth-player-not-working/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.