• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0016b.jpg
#1 1 year ago

All,

I have a Fireball classic that seems like everything is working fine. All bulbs work etc, but when the game is over or there is NO game in play, then the 'game over' bulb in back glass does NOT come on nor stay on. Again when I do the self test for lamps the bulb turns on.
I've look in manual and don't seem to see any particular switch or other setting for this to be on or off...any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

#2 1 year ago

If I'm reading the Pinwiki right https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Bally/Stern#Failed_Lamp_SCRs
you probably have a failed SCR. You'll have to figure out which one controls the game over light and test it.

#3 1 year ago

Ah ok, let me look into this and see...BTW, do you happen to know if the high score is still saved when the power is shut off/unplugged - I thought it would be since it even remembers how many credits it has.

Thanks again,

#4 1 year ago

If Game Over is lighting okay in lamp test, the lamp's SCR is working.

The high score and credits etc. should all be stored when you turn the game off/on.

#5 1 year ago

If the Game Over lamp works in lamp test mode then someone likely has reconnected the specific wire at the lamp driver board in the wrong position.

Check J2 pin 11 at the lamp driver board has a Grey-White wire there. Note, the lamp driver board connector pins are numbered upside down - pin 1 starts at the bottom and counts skywards unlike the other boards in the game.

#6 1 year ago

Ok ill take a look as per your suggestion...thank you very much all!

#7 1 year ago

I also discovered a service bulletin relating to this issue, ill take a look at this as well:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/853/Bally_1985_Fireball_Classic_Service_Bulletin_Jan_31_1985_Game_Over_High_Score_Serial_Nos_101_to_743.pdf

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

I also discovered a service bulletin relating to this issue, ill take a look at this as well:

Good find, note the service bulletin is referring to the Molex block connector that connects to the insert light/display door harness and not the actual connectors at the lamp driver board.

#9 1 year ago

Ah ok...ill look at that and thanks for pointing that out...some of these descriptions are new to me and ill need to learn them beforehand to even know where to start. I might post some pics for clarification.

#10 1 year ago

This picture is from a different game but shows the connector of interest:

IMG_0016b.jpgIMG_0016b.jpg

#11 1 year ago

ah ok, yes I see now.
Thanks for that.

#12 1 year ago

Not sure if you ever done this, but would I just be pushing out the pins on the male side out from within inside of the connector? then switching them out...I want to make sure I remove pins correctly and not damage the pins/wire or connector

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

Not sure if you ever done this, but would I just be pushing out the pins on the male side out from within inside of the connector? then switching them out...I want to make sure I remove pins correctly and not damage the pins/wire or connector

If you look closely at the male pins they have two flares that prevent them from coming out of the housing. So you need to push/bend both of the flares inwards so the pin can be pulled out. Don't forget to open the flares out again when you re-install the pins.

Have a look at the male contact pin here and you should see the flare/flaps on the side.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=02-09-2103

There's actually a special tubular tool that goes over the contact pin and squeezes both of the flares inwards to make the pin removable. But you can do without it for the male pins. However the female contact pins can only be removed with the tool.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=W-HT-2285

#14 1 year ago

OK thanks for the explanation and links to pics! Ill give this a try and report back. (early next week as I wont have access to pin til Monday)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monterey, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fireball-classic-not-displaying-game-over- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.