Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

60ced0239fde0404419e39c643efdb0166de0507 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Having no real knowledge of S/S electronics I'm hoping this is an easy fix. The problem is the two top bumpers fire together and is not caused by vibration and possibly the third bumper as well, this is while a ball is bouncing around. Any help on this would be great. If this is a problem on any of the boards I'm in a real mess. This is the last problem to solve on an otherwise perfect game. Thanks

#2 6 years ago

I'd check/replace the capacitors on the bumper switches 1st. They need replacing anyway.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks. You don't happen to know what I need to order from ebay? We also have an electrical store in the UK called Maplin, I might strike lucky there.

A bit later

Just checked the store would it be known as a Decoupling Ceramic Disc 0.1 or 0.01uF Capacitor?

#4 6 years ago

My bride was doing this .
But it was one of the switches was out of wack.
You already said no vibration.

#5 6 years ago

You could clip one leg of them off to see if the problem goes away. The switches will still work, just won't be as responsive.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

You could clip one leg of them off to see if the problem goes away. The switches will still work, just won't be as responsive.

Thanks, I will do that later today. I can only say this is getting much worse and don't think it happened when first bought a few weeks ago. It would be great to get it normal again

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballyoldboy:

Thanks, I will do that later today.

Couldn't wait....

pinkid you are a genius. You have fixed my Fireball Classic. The bumpers seem to trigger instantly ...... no delay that I can detect and the ball stays amongst the bumpers much longer, like it was designed to do. (No double or triple thumping at all) I am so grateful to you. Big man-hug

PS can't see the point of those damn capacitors

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballyoldboy:

PS can't see the point of those damn capacitors

Pop Bumpers missing the capacitors will miss scoring when hit at high speed. Suffice to say one or more of those caps you cut out is faulty. Use 0.05uf capacitors as replacements.

#9 6 years ago

Simplified description, the old circuitry scans the switches to see if one of them is closed. With a real quick hit to a switch it might get missed. The capacitor adds what can be considered a delay.

They are probably 20 for $1 so replace them when you get a chance.

#10 6 years ago

Thanks for that explanation. I know my way round the old Bally bingo's, but I was always worried about buying a s/s machine with my zero knowledge, but I'm really hooked now on flippers and the e/m flippers don't seem to do it for me, if you know what I mean. This brilliant site rocks and I feel more confidant on my next game with you guys around.
Consider this problem solved
John

#11 6 years ago

But remember, the problem is not solved until you replace those capacitors.

Clipping them does not give you the full impact of the game.

Buy 100 of these, because if you have a Classic Bally, you will need them for many of the switches.

100 of them for .90 cents:

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/capacitors/ceramic-disc-capacitors/10-x-0-047uf-50v-ceramic-disc-capacitor-pkg-of-10.html

7-10 day shipping to the UK from Taiwan.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

But remember, the problem is not solved until you replace those capacitors.

Very kind of you to remind me that that I need to do more than just forget those capacitors.
Having 2 or 3 coils triggering together must have been a strain on something and at least reduced the strength of the "thumps". I bet the ball was smashing into the lip of the plungers. I might replace with some nice chrome ones.

#13 6 years ago

I believe there is a thread on these caps. Maybe not. There is some info on PinWiki. Anywhere there is a cap on a switch on an old Bally it would be best to replace 'em all. They are cheap enough. Switches will work w/o them, but not like they are supposed to. All hits may not register w/o them. Glad I helped out. Feels good when a game gets going again. Sorry I don't know exactly what caps you need.

#14 6 years ago

If you replace the ring rods, remember you have to polish them or they scratch up your balls

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-rebuilding-pop-bumpers

60ced0239fde0404419e39c643efdb0166de0507 (resized).jpg60ced0239fde0404419e39c643efdb0166de0507 (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you replace the ring rods, remember you have to polish them or they scratch up your balls.

Now that bit of advice sounds like a professional secrete.
I shall visit those pages in the morning. Many thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monterey, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fireball-classic-jet-bumpers-triggering-together and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.