(Topic ID: 196743)

Fireball Classic - disc problem

By Mr_Positive

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I recently acquired a Fireball Classic that overall works great, but the spinning disc in the center of the playfield is somewhat unreliable. It will occasionally stop working within a game and/or spin very slow.

Any ideas of servicing this?

#2 6 years ago

Check the wires that connect to the motor. They may be loose. Also clean the plastic gears on the motor while you 're down there.

#3 6 years ago

Does the disk run freely when spun by hand?

#4 6 years ago

Does the disk run freely when spun by hand? There are no plastic gears on my FBC. Are your gears gunged up by old grease? How hot does the motor coil get? Does the problem get worse after a while?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballyoldboy:

Does the disk run freely when spun by hand? There are no plastic gears on my FBC. Are your gears gunged up by old grease? How hot does the motor coil get? Does the problem get worse after a while?

Thanks to all who posted. I basically did everything suggested. I disassembled the unit, cleaned it and oiled all of the gears and bearings. Must smoother and quieter now. I also resoldered the connection. Seems to be working great now.

Also, all of my gears are metal...no plastic.

#6 6 years ago

Very happy for you, should imagine it would be very hard to replace this motor

3 weeks later
#7 6 years ago

I had this problem with a Fireball Classic. It spun slow because the drive gear wore out the hole to an oblong shape and the spindle was now rubbing against the Ferite core because of being out of proper position. I have temporarily fixed it by using a very thin nylon tie wrap and looped it around the spindle, tightened it to pull it back into the non worn side of the rounded out hole and greased the nylon to spindle contact area to minimize drag. Now it spins the proper speed. The permanent fix will be to send it off to PBR for a rebuild at least. Hopefully Steve can put a new bushing in place of the rounded out one. That is if he has the parts to rebuild this type of motor gear box assembly.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

I have temporarily fixed it by using a very thin nylon tie wrap and looped it around the spindle, tightened it to pull it back into the non worn side of the rounded out hole and greased the nylon to spindle contact area to minimize drag.

That is an amazing bodge. Well done
A new thread on amazing bodge's should be started ....but not me, my whole life is a bodge

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
$ 199.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 45.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fireball-classic-disc-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.