A9B7A589-52B2-4B9F-94D0-1CBAD56C3925 (resized).jpeg
5AE15060-9E74-48D3-A7FB-DCB7435D7144 (resized).jpeg
DC13DEA2-A764-4519-A672-EDB30B702693 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190907_122732 (resized).jpg
Bally FBC Instruction Cards LS (resized).jpg
Bally FBC Instruction Cards RS (resized).jpg
473207B5-627A-47F6-B47F-E1D68254EBCA (resized).jpeg
E7D8DEE5-D09C-48CE-98EA-0D43BE71F68D (resized).jpeg

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

I always somewhat liked Fireball, and I don’t want this to be a tread that pits the two against each other, but I’m just not a fan of zipper flippers. I had a guy practically beg me to buy his FB Classic from him. As I think with most people that see any other version of FB, I assume all the other versions are some form of home version of the original.

When I got this home, I played and played and played. I think the addition of regular flippers and the bonus counter has made this machine pure gold in the ranks of all machines. You are CONSTANTLY in and out and in and out of multiball, I’ve never played a game that works like this. As quick as it starts, you’re out again, then bang, MB again and so on. The bonus counter is insanely addictive as well, I LOVE loading that up, and hearing 5x count down for over a minute. Everything is used so well, and storing a ball with the gate in the shooter lane provides the extra ball, which there is technically none of in this machine.

The spinning disk, as with the original, just adds awesomeness to the play, and it’s unlike any other machine. Being a massive TAF fan, and having owned LAH, the magnets in the middle are cool, and the disk is neat in games like WW and Twister, but this has a super grip on it, and is on all the time. It really keeps you on guard for any ball going anywhere, unlike any other machine.

The additions made to FB Classic, in my opinion, have made this one of the greatest machines I have ever played, and this is coming from someone that is almost all DMD in my 30+ machines. I can’t get enough of this machine, and I’m so glad it was forced on me haha. The sounds, and the growl at the end of the game it just awesome. This machine cranked sounds great.

Anyone else love it as much as me?

#2 6 years ago

I'm a fan! When I first got into collecting in the late 90's, my grail pin was the original Fireball. Tracking one down was tough, so I set my sights on FB Classic instead as a "runner-up" in my mind. After I got one home, shopped it out, and removed the factory mylar it quickly became one of my favorites. This was well before I started collecting dmd's and my collection was strictly old Ballys and Gorgar. For me the initial draw was the artwork. It just seemed cool to me. After owning it for a short time the gameplay, although simple, quickly won me over. You forgot to mention the awesome Skill Shot, which gives two opportunities at scoring, plus increasing the value of the top two pop bumpers. It seems like an easy shot, but it requires a lot of "feel" kind of like the TZ Skill Shot. All this plus the randomness of the spinning disc and everything you mentioned makes this game a "just one more" game in my opinion. Speech would have been a nice addition, but I realize Bally was definitely pinching pennies around 1985. Cool game.

#3 6 years ago

I did! The skill shot means so much more in the Classic too, as you get 3 bonus advancements for the top one, and given how many in and out of MB's there are, you can really get a lot of plunges in a game.

I also forgot to mention the kicker and how I like holding the ball in MB, and if you are going to drain down the left outlane, you can quickly shoot straight up and light the kicker to fire it back.

#4 6 years ago

That was my first game, only had room for that, a bar, a sit down arcade driving game and a pool table. Then I pulled the pool table, traded the game for something else, expanded and remodeled the game room and bought ALOT!! more games. I got BIT by the pinball bug BAD! It was such a simple game, I miss it at times but I just got tired of it and want more modern games so I sold it.

IMGA0283.jpg
IMGA0287.jpg
IMGA0293.jpg

#5 6 years ago

Just picked one up earlier this year.This is my first pin.As most say,great artwork.One thing that is really fun on this machine,get multiball with all 3 balls and the kicker "on" ,what a trip!

BTW,I have seen this pin in 2 movies.Rockstar and Jurrassic Park III.

#6 6 years ago

Excellent game.

Too bad every single backglass is faded on these. They were amazing back in the day.

#7 6 years ago

Mine is faded. Is it a backglass? I started wondering if they used translites for this, I haven't even really looked to confirm yet.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Is it a backglass?

If it's an original, it's a backglass.

I've have never seen an unfaded one since the 80s.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Mine is faded. Is it a backglass? I started wondering if they used translites for this, I haven't even really looked to confirm yet.

It's a screened backglass. My original was totally faded and peeling up from the bottom, (too much window cleaner dripping down underneath the lift channel), but I found a nice very slightly faded used one to replace it thankfully.

#10 6 years ago

Ok. I wondered as every photo I have seen of all but one was faded, but none had any flaking or issues other than the fading, which made me wonder, but I always forgot to check.

Are there repros anywhere for this? It's hard to consider a repro for a BG with just fading, but is perfect in it's physical state.... These are the lines I promised myself I would not cross anymore haha.

#11 6 years ago

CPR just did reproductions for the Fireball EM, but those usually have nice backglasses.

It was the Fireball Classics that all need glass.....

http://classicplayfields.com/photo177.html

5 months later
#12 5 years ago

Anyone in Texas looking to sell a Fireball Classic, let me know. I would like to join the club.

#13 5 years ago

"If you can't beat them..."

I actually picked up Atomicboys' FBC after he picked up another one that was in better cosmetic condition. The game play is fantastic!

I too have since found another one in amazing condition, No appreciable fade and I dare say as close to HUO as I might ever see let alone own. A bit of a road trip, exchange of cash and it's now in my dinning room

There are a couple of things that need going over but I will post that separately.

Here are some pics.

IMG_20151212_2105406.jpg

IMG_20151212_2106450.jpg

IMG_20151212_2107004.jpg

IMG_20151212_2107390.jpg

IMG_20151212_2107246.jpg

#14 5 years ago

All of the original paper/cardboard and protective plastics are in tact. There is even a mailer to order the manual!

IMG_20151212_1918153.jpg

IMG_20151212_1918344.jpg

IMG_20151212_1932462.jpg

#15 5 years ago

I always felt that FBC wasn't complete without zipper flippers, so I added my own. I, also, don't like Midway cabinets so I put my FBC guts into a Bally Belmont Avenue/Bensenville style cabinet. This is how an FBC backglass should look. I hope I can upload pictures.

gordon2.jpg

scan7.jpg

jlc2.jpg

#16 5 years ago

Picture #3 didn't take so I'll try it again.

jlc2.jpg

#17 5 years ago

I have an EM Fireball for sale.

9 months later
#18 4 years ago

Interested in a Fireball Classic if anyone has one for sale. PM me

1 month later
#19 4 years ago

Back in the club!

1 month later
#20 4 years ago

I'm looking for decent backglass for my FB classic if anyone has a line on one? Thanks

#21 4 years ago

I was fortunate to score a NOS un-faded backglass for mine a few years back. Had to pay up for it as seller knew how rare one in un-faded condition was.

Makes the overall game appearance that much nicer. Great game that you don't see much in people's collections.

Dave

(PS: Planning to set mine up again after the next game rotation and will post pics here.)

Quoted from vid1900:

Excellent game.
Too bad every single backglass is faded on these. They were amazing back in the day.

2 weeks later
#22 4 years ago

My FBclassic I recently picked up is acting strange. Once you start a game it automatically starts scoring 10000 points repetitively? The game still plays but the scoring just keeps climbing by the 10000's. I think the left orb is the only thing on the game that scores 10k and the switches look fine. I did notice poking around underneath that all the capacitors on the switches have been clipped on one side? Should I re-solder them one?

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

My FBclassic I recently picked up is acting strange. Once you start a game it automatically starts scoring 10000 points repetitively? The game still plays but the scoring just keeps climbing by the 10000's. I think the left orb is the only thing on the game that scores 10k and the switches look fine. I did notice poking around underneath that all the capacitors on the switches have been clipped on one side? Should I re-solder them one?

Replace those caps with new ones, they will insure that fast ball strikes are registered.

Don't resolder the old ones, they always are bad.

Go into switch test to see which switch is stuck.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Replace those caps with new ones, they will insure that fast ball strikes are registered.
Don't resolder the old ones, they always are bad.
Go into switch test to see which switch is stuck.

Thanks Vid!
Why would someone clip one end off each one?

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Thanks Vid!
Why would someone clip one end off each one?

Bally had those terrible caps that after a few years they would start pulsing on and off.

A quick fix is to cut the cap - that gets the game working instantly; but not working correctly.

So at a pinball show, I'll cut someones cap to get the game back working through the weekend, but I tell them to be sure and buy a new cap.

If I have a playfield out for swap or repair, I always replace all the Bally switch caps at once.

100 caps for .90 cents:

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/capacitors/ceramic-disc-capacitors/10-x-0-047uf-50v-ceramic-disc-capacitor-pkg-of-10.html

#26 4 years ago

I finally got around to looking at my FireBall. I checked all my fuses and they are all good. If I manually flick each ball into the trough I can get a game to start but only the flips work? The pops, slings, and orbs don't work? The service button isn't working either?

#27 4 years ago

I figured it out. It was the playfield fuse. I never checked it.
The service button still doesn't work?
Any help would be appreciated.

#28 4 years ago

I'm not sure what I did but I was tracing the service button wires back to the board and now the service button works but I have no displays? When I push the service button the displays come on only while I have my finger on the button?

1 month later
#29 4 years ago

Hey guys new in here we got a FBC 4 years ago and just recently got it up and "running" need to replace my flipper cabinet switches anyone have a good source for the right ones? I ordered what the person said was a replacement but they are shorter than originals the button side blade is same length as the rest. On mine the old one blade is longer than the rest. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

20170322_191154 (resized).jpg

20170402_121811 (resized).jpg

#31 4 years ago

Thanks Vid. been watching your tutorials good stuff!!

1 month later
#32 4 years ago

I recently found a nice FBC and have a few questions for other Owners.
Can anyone recommend a good LED setup that doesn't look too garish? Will I need an additional board for insert leds?
Also, the volume control on the door will only allow sound fully clockwise,I have been controlling volume by the Cheap Squeek on the Head, anyone know if this is correct?
I ordered 545 GE blinking bulbs from E-Bay for the backlglass, is there a nicer LED setup? Also, are there new light seals available for the score units?
Finally, (I think), is there anyone that can cut me new clear Plastics?
Thanks for any help from the Club, I'll try and Post a few pics.
IMG_1386 (resized).JPGIMG_1388 (resized).JPG

#33 4 years ago

A few more. This looks like the original battery,but the Bookkeeping function shows roughly 15000 plays, I guess its possible. The thing doesn't show much wear and plays fast as lightening after a Shop job, like I remember when I played a new one in 1985. Do you think the black trim is OEM, the other ones I have seen are red.
IMG_1529 (resized).JPGIMG_1541 (resized).JPG
IMG_1547 (resized).JPGIMG_1548 (resized).JPG
IMG_1532 (resized).JPG

#34 4 years ago

^I'd snip that battery off the MPU before it warms up and pukes.

When you take the plastics off the playfield, you can see the colored caps where some of the 555 bulbs had color in the GI.

You have the best backglass I've ever seen. This game must have been stored in a dark basement or something for the last 40 years! Be careful, it's worth more than your entire game.

#35 4 years ago

Did Bally use a left over Medusa bumper cap on this game?

#36 4 years ago

Just played Fireball Classic for the first time in the flesh at Pinfest last weekend. I love the non-stop action, it's unlike any other pin and really keeps you on your toes.....and the sound fx are so weird!

#37 4 years ago

Wow Phil- lee that game looks to be in incredible shape, can you post a pic of the cabinet side art?

#38 4 years ago

IMG_1391 (resized).JPGIMG_1389 (resized).JPG
I'll try to get better pics,the bottom edges that are normally chewed up are like new (one little chip out) though the orange has faded.

Quoted from vid1900:^I'd snip that battery off the MPU before it warms up and pukes.
When you take the plastics off the playfield, you can see the colored caps where some of the 555 bulbs had color in the GI.
You have the best backglass I've ever seen. This game must have been stored in a dark basement or something for the last 40 years! Be careful, it's worth more than your entire game.

Come on Vid, I feel a nice Classic is more valuable than perhaps people know. Plus BGResto shows a nicer reproduction backglass available now. This game spent its life in a nice home in Asheville NC. The couple were going into a retirement village and hated to part with it. So the game will work (sans Bookkeeping functions) if I just cut the battery off?
Thanks for the compliments but can anyone explain the volume control mystery? The door control only produces sound wide open, is this just a dirty Pot? The control at the Cheap Squeak works fine,but someone said it splits Background / Sound Effects, seems like I should be able to control volume at the door.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Did Bally use a left over Medusa bumper cap on this game?

Every Classic I have seen had this cap arrangement, glad to see they are still available at The Pinball Resource.

#40 4 years ago

Awesome! That is one classy Classic!

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

So the game will work (sans Bookkeeping functions) if I just cut the battery off?

Attach a remote battery pack or replace the ram module with nvRAM.

#42 4 years ago

Can anyone suggest how to adjust the switches around the spinner? Mine aren't triggering when the ball goes over them. They work when I press them...

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from galaga50:

Can anyone suggest how to adjust the switches around the spinner? Mine aren't triggering when the ball goes over them. They work when I press them...

Raise the play field and adjust switch sensitivity with the proper wrench.Sometimes old wax can make these problematic.Clean them as well with alcohol/Business card -type paper OR, the spinning disc is set too high shooting the ball over the switches. There is an allen wrench adjustment for that, there is also good advice on Pinside for setting it level,use the Search function.
Does your volume control inside the coin door adjust sound up/down properly? Thanks.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Attach a remote battery pack or replace the ram module with nvRAM.

You wouldn't happen to know how much voltage this battery should put out for proper operation?

#45 4 years ago

The future of Pinball, at least for my machines. I had a Classic while she was growing up (but sold it). She enjoys the Ems but always missed the Classic. I surprised her with this one and she began playing the fool out of it,just like when she was 9.
The child on the way will have to cut his/her teeth on it, I want to make sure its right.
IMG_1551 (resized).JPG

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

You wouldn't happen to know how much voltage this battery should put out for proper operation?

Three 1.5v AA batteries will be fine.

Do a search here for "remote battery pack" for full instructions

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Raise the play field and adjust switch sensitivity with the proper wrench.Sometimes old wax can make these problematic.Clean them as well with alcohol/Business card -type paper OR, the spinning disc is set too high shooting the ball over the switches. There is an allen wrench adjustment for that, there is also good advice on Pinside for setting it level,use the Search function.
Does your volume control inside the coin door adjust sound up/down properly? Thanks.

Thanks - will check the spinner level and also clean the switches. Actually one or two work so maybe the spinner is slightly tilted.
My volume control is ok - I do hear the sound when the ones that work are triggered.

#48 4 years ago

I take it that from the deadly silence the consensus says "No LEDs". I have found a few bad examples of the LED treatment in this machine but none that were good.
I was hoping someone had figured it out.
I guess I will have to be the Pioneer.

#49 4 years ago

Warm White LEDs will look good with the warm color pallet of the game.

Color match the inserts, but remember some of them will flicker unless you add a resistor or get a new lamp driver board.

#50 4 years ago

Thanks Vid ! I am thinking of adding a couple LEDs on the right (dark) Wotan side, since I will only have to drill a small hole for the wiring instead of a full-size lamp socket. I also think red condoms on the stock Cabaret bulbs up top will do it for play field color.
I have a pack of 545 blinking bulbs coming so they will go in the backglass behind "the guy".
I won't attempt insert leds until I know more about it, the ones I used in Ems worked fine.

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside