View topic image gallery

IMG_0080 (resized).jpg
IMG_0081 (resized).jpg
IMG_0079 (resized).jpg
IMG_0077 (resized).jpg
IMG_0078 (resized).jpg
IMG_0076 (resized).jpg
IMG_0075 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quench.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 6 years ago

Nothing looks out of the ordinary with switches.

Quoted from Mr_Positive:

3. Do you have a multimeter and know how to test diodes with it?

ANSWER: Yes and Yes.

Ok, so check the diodes on all three trough switches, outhole switch and both saucer switches.

When you go to solenoid test mode, do they activate in correct order as per the manual?

Switch matrix issues manifest themselves when more than one switch is held closed (i.e. like a stuck switch/shorted capacitor on a switch, a fallen drop target or balls sitting in troughs/saucers - likely your case). Unfortunately the Bally switch test doesn't report all switches it senses as closed, only reports the lowest closed numbered switch.
So in switch test mode and with all three balls sitting in the trough you should be seeing switch 28 reported as closed, if you now activate all switches from 25 downwards one at a time, do any switches report the wrong number?

Report your findings to number 6. above.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Positive:

A separate question....I noticed that hitting the "new game" button in the middle of a game will reset to a new game at Player 1. That seems odd. And yes, it is still doing this.

This is normal. So long as there's credits, hitting the start button any time on the first ball will add players. Once the game has reached ball 2 or higher, pressing the start button will cancel the current game and start a new game at Player 1.

Quoted from Mr_Positive:

Whenever I tapped on the playfield, I would get 30 points. (I wish I could send a video here.)
5. Used the test mode again to test the various switches. Noted that the "Kicker ON" switch was not registering.

Good find!

Quoted from Mr_Positive:

6. Cleaned the switch contacts with an emory board and it then registered OK.

Be careful. Gold plated switch contacts shouldn't be cleaned with anything abrasive as they'll decline from there on with poor contact. To clean them, just swipe a business card between the contacts while holding the switch closed. Use Isopropyl if you want.
Abrasive cleaning should only be used on tungsten contact switches which carry high current. These contacts are silver colored and larger in size - usually found on flipper cabinet and EOS switches of that era game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monterey, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quench.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fireball-classic-acting-weird?tu=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.