New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 134419)

Fireball 2 lights?

By Hazoff

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by shock_me
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi, wanted to see what you guys think might be the issue with both the GI and inserts on my FB 2 flickering. Seems like a power issue but I have no idea, heres a quick video. It was happening when I bought it and I know the attract and multiball has blinking GI but this is constant during gameplay. Its really not that bad and doesn't affect gameplay but I like everything 100% so any advice is appreciated.

Mike

#2 5 years ago

Your video is set to private.

#3 5 years ago

Thank you

#4 5 years ago

that looks like a LED in the GI. might be worth trying with a 555 lamp. Doesn't look flickery to me in the vid though?

#5 5 years ago

Both LED and Incand flicker, I have the board installed for LED's so that can't be it, I would say shimmering is a better word for what its doing.

3 years later
#6 2 years ago

Bringing this topic back to life. My Fireball ii also has a flicker in the GI with an alltek led board in it and set up to run led's. My inserts and bckglass lights do not flicker, only the GI. Any ideas?

#7 2 years ago

The lamp flasher and/or a solenoid expander board used in Bally games requires a standard 555 lamp to operate. Look under the playfield for a lamp socket near the flasher board that does not appear to do anything. Make sure it has a working 555 bulb in it and has not been replaced by a LED.

1 week later
#8 2 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

The lamp flasher and/or a solenoid expander board used in Bally games requires a standard 555 lamp to operate. Look under the playfield for a lamp socket near the flasher board that does not appear to do anything. Make sure it has a working 555 bulb in it and has not been replaced by a LED.

Okay, I installed a working incandescent 555 bulb in the socket. I turned the machine on and I am still getting the flickering from the GI.

#9 2 years ago

I believe that game has both a lamp driver and flasher. Are there 2 small boards under the playfield each with a dummy 555 lamp?

1 month later
#10 2 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

I believe that game has both a lamp driver and flasher. Are there 2 small boards under the playfield each with a dummy 555 lamp?

Yes there is! I found the second dummy 555 lamp socket and it was not working. I just ordered a new socket. Will let you know what happens after it is replaced.

3 weeks later
#11 1 year ago

Still waiting on the socket to come in, but it seems to have developed another issue. All of the GI and feature lamps are barely working now. The light driver boards are the new ALLTEK led ones and are grounded properly. Everything else seems to be getting power (displays, sound, playfield coils etc) so I am assuming it might be a bridge rectifier going on the rectifier board. I ordered a new one since I was planning on replacing it anyway, but if that doesn't fix it, what other issues could be causing this to happen?

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Still waiting on the socket to come in, but it seems to have developed another issue. All of the GI and feature lamps are barely working now. The light driver boards are the new ALLTEK led ones and are grounded properly. Everything else seems to be getting power (displays, sound, playfield coils etc) so I am assuming it might be a bridge rectifier going on the rectifier board. I ordered a new one since I was planning on replacing it anyway, but if that doesn't fix it, what other issues could be causing this to happen?

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from dpapclare:

Did you re-pin the connectors on the rectifier board? That completely solved the dim GI on my FBII.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 149.00
1,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Peabody, MA
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside