Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Atebit
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi, first-time poster to the forums. I just picked up my first pin, a Fireball 1972 (one of my favorites) a month or so ago thanks to the Pinside Marketplace bot. Game plays really great, but there are a couple of little things I'd like to start taking a look at. I know I can grab the schematic from IPDB, but in case these are FAQs for the game, the possibility of a few potential pointers can't hurt.

First issue is around the Player 2 scoring. When the Player 2 score rolls from 1K-2K, 2K-3K, 3K-4K, 4K-5K or 5K-6K, the 10K reel also advances. My first thought was that since there are no targets worth 10K, that the 10K wheel advance was just "mechanically" linked to the 1K reel rolling from 9 to 0. The interesting thing is that in this error mode, it looks like the 10K reel actually advances ~before~ the 1K wheel does. So that would seem to eliminate the "mechanical"/rubbing score wheel hypothesis out. Thinking about it, I guess there was to be an EM way to advance the 10K reel, for resetting it to zero at the beginning of a game. But if the 10K contact was picking up "sympathetic" vibes sometimes from the 1K contact, it's still strange that the 10K reel clicks over first. Any ideas?

The other two minor issues I have are with the Odin captive ball. When the ball ends up in the Odin cup, sometimes I need to nudge the game a little for it to sense the ball's landed there. I don't know if there's a plunger switch or something there that needs a little lubrication. The other issue is I guess there's a motor or servo that drives the Odin bonus indicator light from 1K to 5K. I almost hate to score a ball there because that motor/servo sounds like it's lined with sandpaper. I'm hoping that the area that needs treatment is obvious, but I'd be curious to hear recommendations for what I should use to clean/lubricate that area. I know there are "contact cleaner" and "no contact cleaner" camps, but it seems like when it comes to moving parts there has to be something most folks agree on to keep everything moving smoothly.

#2 7 years ago

On EMs, there is a carry switch on each of the score units (except on the most-significant digit) that closes when that unit is at "9". Then, on the next pulse that will send the score unit back around to "0", the closed carry switch allows the same pulse to index the next higher score unit, so that it goes up one digit as well. So the carry from one score unit to the next is done electrically, not mechanically.

It sounds like the carry switch on your 2nd player 1K score unit is out of adjustment and is always closed, which of course would cause the symptom you describe. So, I would clean and adjust the switches on your 2nd player 1K score unit to see if that clears things up.

Note that it's always a good idea to tighten down the screws holding a switch-stack before making adjustments to the switch blades.

- TimMe

#3 7 years ago

The 10k is advanced when the 1k reel is in the 9th position and becomes energized. If the 10k is advancing every time the 9th position switch on the 1k us usually misadjusted.

Don't oil anything that's not metal on metal. The hole not reacting is probably just a misadjusted or dirty contact.

The motor itself might need lubrication. The area where the contacts rub over a disk could probably use some cleaning at a minimum. There are a few substances that are safe to put on the disk, but contact cleaner is not one. You need something that doesn't change consistency over time

#4 7 years ago

Thanks guys, you were spot-on with the "9-position" switch diagnosis. I pulled down the schematic to help me find the switch (by wire colors), and the gentle application of long-nose pliers after making sure the switch stack was tight fixed it right up! Will prolly lift the playfield to look at the Odin issues over the weekend.

Also just picked up a Blue Chip which may need just a little TLC, so I've got that going for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fireball-1972-player-2-scoring-weirdness-other-stuff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.