Slam (resized).jpg
IMG_20190320_161952 (resized).jpg
Flipper Coils (resized).jpg
IMG_20190313_171508 (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Score reel switches (resized).jpg
Score wheel position (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chas10e.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 5 years ago

"the coil that never stops" is supposed to do that, it's the "coin lock-out coil" so if on location and no power to the machine, it will return your money

the back box buzzing I am guessing a stuck playfield switch locking on a either bell solenoid ( one on the match stepper ) and a score reel.

it sounds in a later post you may have remedied that but now the score motor keeps turning, manually reset all the score reels to zero, the ball count to 1 , player up to 1, all those steppers will need to be cleaned & lubed

from the video it looks like a beautiful machine.

Clay's guide is here http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

#26 5 years ago

oh I was guessing that loose wire might have been for a 2'nd coin chute.

many people disconnect the coin lock-out for home use. would only need to disconnect one of the two wires.

#29 5 years ago

As you tightened each one (16 in all) did you clean & check the gap of the zero position switch ?

with an alligator jumper wire, you can figure out how to bypass all those to troubleshoot if the startup sequence difficulties are elsewhere. they are all wired in series.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from nibre:

Thanks!
Where can I find the zero position switch?

Actuate the score wheel manually and you will see which one closes on zero.

#33 5 years ago

the 10's , 100's & 1,000's reels also have a "9 position switch"; the 10,000 reel only has the one set of position blades

#36 5 years ago

lift up a little locking lever on the score reel and it will slide out towards you

Quoted from chas10e:

......... all those steppers will need to be cleaned & lubed
from the video it looks like a beautiful machine.
Clay's guide is here http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

Specifically the stepper cleaning guide http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps
He mentions using "Super Lube" synthetic grease where the plastic spindle turns through a hub on score reels. they should have it on the shelf at a local hardware store

This leaf adjusting tool is pretty awesome, https://www.pinballlife.com/ultimate-leaf-adjuster-tool.html

clean one at a time , preferably in a clean environment , if you drop something FIND IT !!!! magnetic telescoping tool comes in REAL HANDY in these instances.

look for the "first time cleaning a stepper unit thread .... & join the club

Again you have a really nice machine

Quoted from Skidave:

Where are you located? You don't have it listed on Pinside. Maybe some local help would benefit you.

yeah are you in New England ?

#38 5 years ago

I noticed in the video that "player 4" lamp is lit indicating the "player up" stepper isn't resetting

the lamps for the ball count could be burned out but could be a sticky stepper there also.

there are position switches on those steppers as well

The hand drawing is how they are on the machine I have as well (had to check though)

Making good progress, Sweden is a little far for me to travel so keep us posted

#46 5 years ago

Both the fuse card and the schematic shows a 10 Amp fuse, so stay with that value

Could be a burnt flipper coil, could see if coil is shorted with a multi-meter

I picked up one of these things at an auto parts store. The only trouble is, once the problem is solved the thing seems to stay in place for awhile

3 weeks later
#69 4 years ago
Quoted from nibre:

I have changed the left flipper coil and now the flipper works as it should!
I had problems with the "Ball in play" lamps (the lamps and holders were ok) but after extensive cleaning of the ball count stepper, they now work.
The spinning disc doesn't sound as much after small amounts of super lube on the clogs (maybe I should have used tefon instead).
The lamp holders (in general) need cleaning and adjusting and I'm on it.
One problem remains:
If a ball is in the Odin and/or Wotan hole when the last ball drains, the ball/s remain/s in the hole/s. And they are not kicked out if a new game is started. This can't be right. Should they be kicked out when a game ends or starts?

It was mentioned in "Clay's Guide" to ONLY lubricate the felt needle bearing pad for motors. it is buried under the mounting bracket for the spinning disc.

An image is available in the link
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#motor

Quoted from nibre:

Eeehhh...
Hhmmm...
A game design mistake?

It's not a mistake .... it's a feature

#72 4 years ago

the Solid State Fireball Classic has dip-switch settings that will eject any locked balls when game is over.

I suppose you could wire a switch to actuate when the coin-return button is pressed.

Both the original & the solid state games have tournament issues because of the ability to have a ball sitting in the shooter-lane while other balls are in play. (an announcement would be made of the necessity to plunge that ball expeditiously.)

https://papa.org/competitions/competition-rules/
If a ball becomes stuck during a multiball mode, the player should attempt to trap the other ball(s) in play and
request assistance. A stuck ball during multiball often represents a significant beneficial malfunction, and
intentionally taking advantage may result in a penalty. Please note specifically that a ball ending up in the plunger
lane during multiball on a machine where there is no autoplunger (or where the autoplunger for some reason
refuses to fire) counts as a stuck ball, and the ball must be plunged by the player.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Durham, NC
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chas10e.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fireball-1972-is-dead?tu=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.