9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 9 years ago

I actually had about the same problem...with my F-14. Went 'round and 'round with the usual stuff, replacing diodes etc... still had the mysterious random tilts. I finally found that the upper "T" target was causing the tilts. Did the usual diode replacement again on that target. Still tilts.

I took the target switch out and ohm'd it for continuity and proper operation and it appeared to work fine out of the game. Reinstalled it and guess what - still tilted! I ordered a new switch and replaced it, and the problem was gone for good. I never knew what exactly within the switch was causing it, but I suspect that perhaps the rivet through the "sandwich" of the switch base was probably shorting somehow, I just never saw it with a meter.

I assume that your Fire right flipper has a lane change switch off of the cabinet switch. Try replacing the switch along with the diode, unless I am wrong about Fire and your matrix switch triggered by the right flipper is off of the right flipper EOS.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

This doesn't make sense. How can a bad switch cause this to happen? Unless it was arching inside the stack and going around the diode.

I agree - it was bizarre for sure...and maybe as you said. I did think about tearing the switch apart - for a moment - but figured that in itself might disturb whatever was wrong with the switch construction, and it's around 25 years old. I had fought the problem for so long I was just glad to be done with it.

7 years later
#8 1 year ago
Quoted from emk101:

We started investigating that flipper and saw that the left flipper coil had been replaced at some point.
When it was replaced, someone did not install the two diodes needed for this coil. The schematics call for diodes here.
We put the diodes in and played.
We are about 24 games in and have not seen a single random tilt!
The best theory is, lack of diodes on the coil was injecting noise into the system.
Just wanted to update this thread in case someone else experiences random Tilt on a system 11 (or specifically a Fire).

That's really bizzare. The purpose of the diodes, as most know, is to prevent damage to the coil driving circuity from back spikes of voltage created when the coil is shutoff and the magnetic field collapses. This is totally unrelated to the switch matrix and really none of those circuits overlap, unless there was induced noise from the coil circuit playfield wires running close to the switch matrix wires - that's all I can possibly think of, besides some outright coincidence. Wouldn't be the first time something strange happened with a pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fire-randomly-tilts?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.