(Topic ID: 24421)

Fire building light board only "some" lights out?

By MT45

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

solderjoints.jpg
fire_board.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball4ever.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 9 years ago

I had the exact same problem as the OP and wanted to update this thread to possibly help someone else in the future.

So, in the "all lamps" test I also only had lamps #9, #14, #18, and #21 lit in the center building. This made no sense to me as I could physically move these working lights to the (apparent) non-working sockets, and still nothing.

Looking closer at the layout of the board you could see that #9, #14, #18, and #21 were all lamps that could be brought up in the individual lamp test (made sense) through the large connector in the pic from the OP (and you could trace through the circuit). The other 12 lights were not part of this circuit and controlled by the left connector which only had two wires (doubled up). So, the other 12 lights were not individually controlled (but they still should light up).

I checked the solder joints on this connector and they were pretty bad. They looked fine at first but under a magnifying lamp you could see they were all loose (and you could physically move the connector):

solderjoints.jpgsolderjoints.jpg

After reflowing I figured the additional 12 lights (out of the 16) in the building would now light up in the "all lamps" test - but they didn't. After looking at the schematics I realized these 12 lights were solenoid controlled (window lites relay - #16) and confirmed it by going through the coil tests (as they all lit on test #16).

I suppose this all makes sense because you'd have to have 12 additional individual lamps in the lamp matrix, and there just isn't enough room left with just 64 slots. The thing that confused me initially (and possibly some of the people above) is thinking these 12 lights would come up in the "all lamps" test, but they don't - because they are solenoid controlled and not individual lamps. I kept thinking it would have made more sense to have the relay activate and light these in the "all lamps" test, but then they wouldn't come up in the individual lamp test and that wouldn't make sense - sort of a catch-22.

I just thought it was interesting, and I did bang my head for quite a while trying to figure this out and get my Fire working 100%!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball4ever.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fire-building-light-board-only-some-lights-out?tu=pinball4ever and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.