Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1975.jpg
    IMG_1959.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viper001.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

Yeah, you and I have talked about this a few times. I am also an insurance agent and could not agree more.

I have seen this hashed out many times on these forums. And I completely respect the 2 agents that have posted their opinion. But if you specifically have "Contents Replacement Value" on your house and the limit on that is enough to cover the pinball machines I'm not sure how they can hand you a check for $500 for a Medieval Madness?

I have heard some stories of folks that were taken care of on a regular policy, and certainly horror stories of some that weren't. I'm just not sure it's fair to say it's impossible to have them covered under a standard policy. Honestly my brother used to be an insurance agent and he wasn't sure when I asked him, what we need is an underwriter to chime in here? Are there any on the forums??

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from john32:

I am an insurance agent too an most people don't have anything collectible insured properly..

We are in the process of switching our homeowners right now. I specifically brought this subject up with my agent, who forwarded the question to the underwriters and they came back and said I was good. But then I have a fairly fantastic number on contents coverage which seems to exceed what I really need by a pretty good margin.

I guess what I am hearing is I need to work up a document with values, and if they sign off on that I'm good. But otherwise the previous exchange would not cover me. I just don't know why you can ask a question and be told you are good if you aren't...

#18 8 years ago

I have a question for one of the agents that have posted here. Is there any way an average person like me can ask for a review of my coverage to confirm what I really have paid for? Basically, I submit a small sampling of my collection and we pretend like it is a total loss, and have the company come back with what they would pay me? Seems like a reasonable request and exercise, and would make more sense to do before there is a problem. If this is possible what is this called so I sound like I know what I'm talking about?

TIA

#31 8 years ago

OK, so I brought my insurance agent into the conversation and told him my concerns. Here is what I was told my policy covers. Big huge disclaimer: I am not an insurance agent or employee of any insurance company. What my policy does or does not cover could be different from what you have. Yadda yadda yadda.

So what he confirmed is I have contents replacement of everything in my home, up to the upper overall limit as stated on my policy. I have no "sub-limits" of the coverage where they say for something like guns or collectables they will only cover up to a certain limit (he mentioned that because he says a lot of companies do impose such limits). In the event of a loss he said if the value of the collection was 20k they would initially pay me the "actual cash value" of the machines which could be a little less than the 20k (he threw out 16k possibly). Then, as the machines are replaced with like we would submit receipts and they would cover any additional monies spent. I can at least confirm this is how content replacement works as we have friends that had a pipe burst in their kitchen and caused enormous amounts of damage, and just like my agent said, as they replaced things they submitted receipts and were reimbursed.

For what it's worth I think I am good, but again, see my disclaimer or buy additional coverage if you deem that necessary for your own situation. He did run all this by their underwriting department and this is what they said.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

one potential issue I see in this arrangement is that the insurance company defines actual cash value - which could be the lowest possible price paid for a title they can find regardless of condition. I would prefer an "agreed value" before the loss and then payment of the agreed value in the event of a loss.

Very true. And as I stated anyone needing additional coverage should buy it. If you take it to the extreme you could decide to not trust that you will get enough to replace anything in your house and insist on agreed value on everything (furniture, bedding, water pic, etc). It's all a trust issue with any company any way you look at it. I just know that the folks I personally know that have had contents replacement claims were happy in the end.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from CIS1966:

In the event of a covered loss in excess of $50, we pay claims based on the market value of the collectible.

I'm not sure if you answered the question. But I thought folks were saying yours was an agreed value policy? If it's market value here is a test for you. I insure with you my original 1997 WMS Medieval Madness pinball machine which is in above average original condition. Machine is a total loss due to fire. Assuming I have provided documentation and pictures proving the above stated condition how much can I expect if this event happened yesterday? I live in Cincinnati Ohio if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from CIS1966:

Our collector and dealer policies are based on market value.
    In regards to your question, please message me your name, phone number and best time to reach you. I will have one of our expert team members contact you to discuss our claims handling and answer any other specific questions you have about insuring your personal collection.

PM sent. I will post what I am able to find out back to the forum.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

That collectors insurance is a scam, IMHO . If you have homeowners insurance , with replacement cost, you don't need it.

My understanding (but I am deferring to you) is that collector's insurance would be secondary to your primary coverage anyway. So in the case of a total loss of $5000 and your primary maxed out on paying $4000 (for whatever reason, market price, policy limit, etc) the collector insurance would kick in and potentially pay the additional $1000. But in no case could you expect to get double payment (IE $10,000) for this claim.

#50 8 years ago

Here was the response I got from the collectables insurance company representative that posted earlier in this thread. This comes from their claims department in relation to my hypothetical claim question. I was hoping for a less hypothetical response....

"The basis of valuation for a claims settlement is the market value of the collectible immediately prior to the loss. There are many variables in the claims handing process, including item condition, type of loss, policy limits, deductibles, etc. Our experienced examiners work with our customers and evaluate each claim on an individual basis to reach a satisfactory resolution. Due to these variable factors, it’s difficult to provide a hypothetical estimated claim payout. "

#51 8 years ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

I also went with the Collectibles Insurance. Very easy people to work with and reasonably priced too.

Have you read through your policy to see if it is secondary to your homeowner's coverage? And also, do you have agreed value or market value on the value of your collection?

#55 8 years ago

Here was the response from the Collectable insurance representative on whether their insurance is secondary to any other coverage you already have:

"In the event a covered loss occurs and there is other insurance available, which would apply to the covered property, the insurance under our policy would be excess insurance over the other insurance. In no event will our policy contribute with other insurance."

#56 8 years ago
    Quoted from sparechange1974:

I'd be careful telling people replacement cost on homeowners will cover the pins, as this is not correct at least in my case. Mine are located in the basement and if the sump pump or septic backs up I am not covered unless I have the additional coverage which caps out at $50,000(yes I do have replacement cost on policy). My agent said if the water comes from outside or a broken pipe that I am covered(along with fire, theft, etc), but I am not covered if it comes from the sump pump or septic without the additional coverage. My problem is that getting the $50,000 extra coverage for sump pump/septic is really costly and even with it, its not enough coverage to replace pins and basement with water issues.
    I'm curious, has anyone has a sump pump go out? I would think the water would only get a few inches high and maybe thats not enough to damage the pins??

So if you have a water backup event they are saying they cap the entire claim at 50k? Or they cap specific things (like collectables) at 50k in that event? Because if an entire basement gets trashed, especially with the costs to remediation if there are sewage backups that seems like really low coverage to me. But again, I am not an insurance agent.

How high the water can go depends on your particular basement. In mine I'm lucky that we live on a hill and my home doesn't even require a sump pump at all. I have seen sewer backups all the way to the top of the stairs in my in-laws house so it's certainly possible for your games to take a swim.

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Exactly. We just bought a new house 2 weeks ago, so I just went through this with my agent. It's entirely dependent on how the water gets into your basement.

I have to admit I was kind of expecting more of a reaction to my findings from the collector insurance. Outside of the water issue (which is a big deal and I understand that) I'm honestly not seeing any real value in having the collector insurance coverage. They are secondary coverage to your homeowner's policy (unless I am misunderstanding the wording of their last response that I posted) and were unwilling to put forth their opinion of the market value of my sample that I provided. Having not read the terms of their coverage, if they have an exclusion to sewer backup like the other policies I can find no real reason to go with them at all.

They were very friendly and professional in answering my questions, I'm just not sure what you are getting for your premiums. Unless you are living without homeowner's coverage to begin with. Am I missing something??

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Remember, Insurance companies are your friend, until something goes wrong.

The key is you are not making a new friend, you are entering into a legal agreement with them. They air commercials trying to convince you it is the first thing and it is not at all. They will usually fulfill the terms of the agreement if you have a problem but the worst time to find out what that document actually says is while the fire department is rolling their hose up in front of your house...

I am happy we finally got to the bottom of this information. I know this has been debated since way back in the RGP days and I always walked away feeling nervous that I wasn't signed up for the collector insurance. I am more comfortable with the policy I already have, but again, my policy and my company could be wildly different than what everyone else has.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viper001.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fire-and-flood-insurance-for-pinball-machines-1?tu=viper001 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.