Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1975.jpg
    IMG_1959.jpg

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

Hey Group:

Do you insure your pinball machines?

I do not know if our home owners insurance will cover fire or floods??? A water pipe could easily break and could destroy your collection.

Thanks in advance!!
    PinballCharlie

#2 8 years ago

FYI,

might want to check with your agent, however flood is excluded (even if you have a flood policy it only covers ground level and above unless basement has mechicals then it covers those), but water break should be covered, also be sure you have back up sewer and drain.

I just have the pins in my home don't move and I'm covered under the contents of my homeowners.

FYI, I have contents replacement cost, I did verify that my pins are covered for RC directly with the underwriter.

#3 8 years ago

Do a search too. There's been some really great threads on this here in the past.

#4 8 years ago

I'm an insurance agent... This comes up all the time with many people thinking their homeowners policy will 'adequately' cover the collections... It won't. You can argue all you want about what your 'agent' tells you - yes they are covered as part of contents, but maybe not for the value you think they are worth - they will depreciate them... So your 1997 Medieval Madness that cost $ 3,500 new will now net you maybe $ 500 from your homeowners insurance... Get it ? Are they covered, yes. Are they covered adequately, no. Most agents will not understand the value of these 'toys'... You need to get a separate policy for them - I use www.collectinsure.com... I do not sell for them or am associated with them in any way... It's just where I have my own policy at. Don't be foolish and 'assume'.
    FYI the collectinsure policy also covers flood which a homeowners policy will not.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballSTAR:

I'm an insurance agent... This comes up all the time with many people thinking their homeowners policy will 'adequately' cover the collections... It won't. You can argue all you want about what your 'agent' tells you - yes they are covered as part of contents, but maybe not for the value you think they are worth - they will depreciate them... So your 1997 Medieval Madness that cost $ 3,500 new will now net you maybe $ 500 from your homeowners insurance... Get it ? Are they covered, yes. Are they covered adequately, no. Most agents will not understand the value of these 'toys'... You need to get a separate policy for them - I use http://www.collectinsure.com... I do not sell for them or am associated with them in any way... It's just where I have my own policy at. Don't be foolish and 'assume'.
    FYI the collectinsure policy also covers flood which a homeowners policy will not.

Yeah, you and I have talked about this a few times. I am also an insurance agent and could not agree more.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

Yeah, you and I have talked about this a few times. I am also an insurance agent and could not agree more.

I have seen this hashed out many times on these forums. And I completely respect the 2 agents that have posted their opinion. But if you specifically have "Contents Replacement Value" on your house and the limit on that is enough to cover the pinball machines I'm not sure how they can hand you a check for $500 for a Medieval Madness?

I have heard some stories of folks that were taken care of on a regular policy, and certainly horror stories of some that weren't. I'm just not sure it's fair to say it's impossible to have them covered under a standard policy. Honestly my brother used to be an insurance agent and he wasn't sure when I asked him, what we need is an underwriter to chime in here? Are there any on the forums??

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from viper001:

I have seen this hashed out many times on these forums. And I completely respect the 2 agents that have posted their opinion. But if you specifically have "Contents Replacement Value" on your house and the limit on that is enough to cover the pinball machines I'm not sure how they can hand you a check for $500 for a Medieval Madness?
    I have heard some stories of folks that were taken care of on a regular policy, and certainly horror stories of some that weren't. I'm just not sure it's fair to say it's impossible to have them covered under a standard policy. Honestly my brother used to be an insurance agent and he wasn't sure when I asked him, what we need is an underwriter to chime in here? Are there any on the forums??

All I can say is that an agent might say you are covered, but he is not the one who writes the check. The claims department is the ones who determine the value of what was lost. There was a gentleman on here who had a BBB stolen and was given a check for $500. He eventually got more for it but it was nowhere near the full value of the BBB if memory serves correctly.

EDIT: That number is determined by what category they classify a machine in. There is no subcategory for Pinball in insurance. So sometimes its classified as an antique, some claims I have heard it classified under electronics. There is no set category for one. Depending on what they put it in helps determine what they will pay and each category has its own limit

#8 8 years ago

I am an insurance agent too an most people don't have anything collectible insured properly..The only way to insure them properly is schedule them on your homeowners under an inland marine policy for a value. Even if you have replacement cost on your regular policy for personal property you are at the hands of adjustor to hash out a value. My two cents is to get them scheduled!!!

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballSTAR:

You need to get a separate policy for them - I use http://www.collectinsure.com...

Thanks for the link Joe. I have really been considering this lately, but had no idea where to start looking.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from john32:

I am an insurance agent too an most people don't have anything collectible insured properly..

We are in the process of switching our homeowners right now. I specifically brought this subject up with my agent, who forwarded the question to the underwriters and they came back and said I was good. But then I have a fairly fantastic number on contents coverage which seems to exceed what I really need by a pretty good margin.

I guess what I am hearing is I need to work up a document with values, and if they sign off on that I'm good. But otherwise the previous exchange would not cover me. I just don't know why you can ask a question and be told you are good if you aren't...

#11 8 years ago

I was told my an agent just last week the standard homeowners would not cover the machines adequately.

#12 8 years ago

I edited my last comment to explain the thought process on what to pay for an actual game.

#13 8 years ago

I recently insured my pinball and jukebox collection through Collectables Insurance. I was getting asked by several friends and family if they were insured and I kept shrugging it off figuring homeowners would be fine. Finally I saw a thread like this and figured what the heck and filled out the online application. I set a value to the machines and sent them a copy for my file. It only cost a couple hundred bucks (depending on total value of what you have) to insure for a year. It was super simple and seems like money well spent to know they are indeed covered for current market value. I highly recommend it regardless of weather or not you think your homeowners will cover you in the event of a loss. Personally, I'd rather pay a few hundred bucks a year to error on the side of caution....

#14 8 years ago

Joe, thank you very much for the link, I am applying as we speak.

#15 8 years ago

Thank you all!!
    I am going to check out the collectinsure website.

I'd rather be safe then sorry.....

#16 8 years ago

I also went with the Collectibles Insurance. Very easy people to work with and reasonably priced too.

Question for those with the policy, and this is where the rubber hits the road...has anyone filed a claim with them?

Eric

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

I also went with the Collectibles Insurance. Very easy people to work with and reasonably priced too.
    Question for those with the policy, and this is where the rubber hits the road...has anyone filed a claim with them?
    Eric

Exactly...

#18 8 years ago

I have a question for one of the agents that have posted here. Is there any way an average person like me can ask for a review of my coverage to confirm what I really have paid for? Basically, I submit a small sampling of my collection and we pretend like it is a total loss, and have the company come back with what they would pay me? Seems like a reasonable request and exercise, and would make more sense to do before there is a problem. If this is possible what is this called so I sound like I know what I'm talking about?

TIA

#19 8 years ago

I just sent Collectibles Insurance an email asking for some pinball insurance specifics and making them aware of this group forum.

If they respond to me I will post it here, or maybe they will join the discussion.

Eric

#20 8 years ago

Most insurance companies have specific coverage for collectibles and fine art.

Here is an example:
    https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/home-and-property/personal-articles-policy

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Most insurance companies have specific coverage for collectibles and fine art.
    Here is an example:
    https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/home-and-property/personal-articles-policy

They do have it as a Personal Articles Policy. I work for State Farm and have dealt with this on my own personal property. They need an exact appraisal from a local professional. Bad thing is, I am probably the best person within 2 hours any direction and they wouldn't take my word for it :\ I had heard that GAP does appraisals from pictures and will type it up and everything from you. Not sure if that is true. For State Farm, the price on a pinball policy (I was told) would be $1.25 for every $100 worth of value.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

I just sent Collectibles Insurance an email asking for some pinball insurance specifics and making them aware of this group forum.
    If they respond to me I will post it here, or maybe they will join the discussion.
    Eric

Thank you for letting us know about this forum! For everyday, easily replaced personal property, homeowners insurance is all most people need. But for pinball machines that you may have spent a lifetime collecting, it doesn’t go nearly far enough. If your pinball collection is valued at $3,000 or more, we recommend that it be insured.

Our agency has been protecting collections since 1966 and all coverage is provided by a carrier rated "A" by A.M. Best - the leading rating agency for the entire insurance industry. Our expert collectibles insurance team can be reached at 888-837-9537 (Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm ET) to answer any specific questions about your collection or you may visit our website, collectinsure.com.

#24 8 years ago

How do you establish a value with CollectInsure? I see they have a link to a "value my stuff" appraisal service - but wondered what all of the various options are. I would consider most of us as very knowledgable about pinball prices, but I bet we would be all over the board if asked to value a specific collection.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

How do you establish a value with CollectInsure? I see they have a link to a "value my stuff" appraisal service - but wondered what all of the various options are. I would consider most of us as very knowledgable about pinball prices, but I bet we would be all over the board if asked to value a specific collection.

If it's EMs I'll use Russ Snyder sales as comps

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from CIS1966:

Thank you for letting us know about this forum! For everyday, easily replaced personal property, homeowners insurance is all most people need. But for pinball machines that you may have spent a lifetime collecting, it doesn’t go nearly far enough. If your pinball collection is valued at $3,000 or more, we recommend that it be insured.
    Our agency has been protecting collections since 1966 and all coverage is provided by a carrier rated "A" by A.M. Best - the leading rating agency for the entire insurance industry. Our expert collectibles insurance team can be reached at 888-837-9537 (Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm ET) to answer any specific questions about your collection or you may visit our website, collectinsure.com.

Hey welcome to Pinside! Someone asks these questions fairly periodically so it would be great for you to be able to answer some of the questions.

#27 8 years ago

Yes, welcome CIS1966 to the forum. Your input will be appreciated.

Eric

#28 8 years ago

Hey welcome to Pinside! Someone asks these questions fairly periodically so it would be great for you to be able to answer some of the questions.

Quoted from emsrph:

Yes, welcome CIS1966 to the forum. Your input will be appreciated.
    Eric

You're welcome! We're happy to help.

#29 8 years ago

it would be great for you to be able to answer some of the questions.

Quoted from CIS1966:

Hmmm....

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from jsalce:

CIS1966 said:

Ok, here's a question....have there been any pinball claims that you have paid??

#31 8 years ago

OK, so I brought my insurance agent into the conversation and told him my concerns. Here is what I was told my policy covers. Big huge disclaimer: I am not an insurance agent or employee of any insurance company. What my policy does or does not cover could be different from what you have. Yadda yadda yadda.

So what he confirmed is I have contents replacement of everything in my home, up to the upper overall limit as stated on my policy. I have no "sub-limits" of the coverage where they say for something like guns or collectables they will only cover up to a certain limit (he mentioned that because he says a lot of companies do impose such limits). In the event of a loss he said if the value of the collection was 20k they would initially pay me the "actual cash value" of the machines which could be a little less than the 20k (he threw out 16k possibly). Then, as the machines are replaced with like we would submit receipts and they would cover any additional monies spent. I can at least confirm this is how content replacement works as we have friends that had a pipe burst in their kitchen and caused enormous amounts of damage, and just like my agent said, as they replaced things they submitted receipts and were reimbursed.

For what it's worth I think I am good, but again, see my disclaimer or buy additional coverage if you deem that necessary for your own situation. He did run all this by their underwriting department and this is what they said.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from viper001:

OK, so I brought my insurance agent into the conversation and told him my concerns. Here is what I was told my policy covers. Big huge disclaimer: I am not an insurance agent or employee of any insurance company. What my policy does or does not cover could be different from what you have. Yadda yadda yadda.
    So what he confirmed is I have contents replacement of everything in my home, up to the upper overall limit as stated on my policy. I have no "sub-limits" of the coverage where they say for something like guns or collectables they will only cover up to a certain limit (he mentioned that because he says a lot of companies do impose such limits). In the event of a loss he said if the value of the collection was 20k they would initially pay me the "actual cash value" of the machines which could be a little less than the 20k (he threw out 16k possibly). Then, as the machines are replaced with like we would submit receipts and they would cover any additional monies spent. I can at least confirm this is how content replacement works as we have friends that had a pipe burst in their kitchen and caused enormous amounts of damage, and just like my agent said, as they replaced things they submitted receipts and were reimbursed.
    For what it's worth I think I am good, but again, see my disclaimer or buy additional coverage if you deem that necessary for your own situation. He did run all this by their underwriting department and this is what they said.

one potential issue I see in this arrangement is that the insurance company defines actual cash value - which could be the lowest possible price paid for a title they can find regardless of condition. I would prefer an "agreed value" before the loss and then payment of the agreed value in the event of a loss.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

one potential issue I see in this arrangement is that the insurance company defines actual cash value - which could be the lowest possible price paid for a title they can find regardless of condition. I would prefer an "agreed value" before the loss and then payment of the agreed value in the event of a loss.

Very true. And as I stated anyone needing additional coverage should buy it. If you take it to the extreme you could decide to not trust that you will get enough to replace anything in your house and insist on agreed value on everything (furniture, bedding, water pic, etc). It's all a trust issue with any company any way you look at it. I just know that the folks I personally know that have had contents replacement claims were happy in the end.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

Ok, here's a question....have there been any pinball claims that you have paid??

We have over 10,000 customers and have been insuring collections of all sizes since 1966, including pinball machines and other coin-operated devices. In the event of a covered loss in excess of $50, we pay claims based on the market value of the collectible. Our collector policy also has a $0 deductible!

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from CIS1966:

In the event of a covered loss in excess of $50, we pay claims based on the market value of the collectible.

I'm not sure if you answered the question. But I thought folks were saying yours was an agreed value policy? If it's market value here is a test for you. I insure with you my original 1997 WMS Medieval Madness pinball machine which is in above average original condition. Machine is a total loss due to fire. Assuming I have provided documentation and pictures proving the above stated condition how much can I expect if this event happened yesterday? I live in Cincinnati Ohio if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from viper001:

I'm not sure if you answered the question. But I thought folks were saying yours was an agreed value policy? If it's market value here is a test for you. I insure with you my original 1997 WMS Medieval Madness pinball machine which is in above average original condition. Machine is a total loss due to fire. Assuming I have provided documentation and pictures proving the above stated condition how much can I expect if this event happened yesterday? I live in Cincinnati Ohio if that matters.
    Thanks in advance.

Our collector and dealer policies are based on market value.

In regards to your question, please message me your name, phone number and best time to reach you. I will have one of our expert team members contact you to discuss our claims handling and answer any other specific questions you have about insuring your personal collection.

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from CIS1966:

Our collector and dealer policies are based on market value.
    In regards to your question, please message me your name, phone number and best time to reach you. I will have one of our expert team members contact you to discuss our claims handling and answer any other specific questions you have about insuring your personal collection.

PM sent. I will post what I am able to find out back to the forum.

#38 8 years ago

Thank you Viper. Probably a specific question like you are asking is the best way to get a detailed answer.

Eric

#39 8 years ago

All I can say is that an agent might say you are covered, but he is not the one who writes the check. The claims department is the ones who determine the value of what was lost. There was a gentleman on here who had a BBB stolen and was given a check for $500. He eventually got more for it but it was nowhere near the full value of the BBB if memory serves correctly.
    EDIT: That number is determined by what category they classify a machine in. There is no subcategory for Pinball in insurance. So sometimes its classified as an antique, some claims I have heard it classified under electronics. There is no set category for one. Depending on what they put it in helps determine what they will pay and each category has its own limit

A couple of corrections: I'm the guy who had the BBB stolen. Initially, the insurance offered something along the lines of $3000 if I remember. After giving them a couple of quotes from a few pinball stores/dealers on here and contact information with experts for estimates of value, along with copies of recent games sold (on ebay and here), they cut me a check for full market value. Replacement cost rocks!

That said, maybe they just like me, or saw that I've never had a claim in 10 years, or whatever. I felt lucky.

#41 8 years ago

A couple hundred dollars a year to insure a collection? Good lord, that seems like half what I pay for my home and contents. Not to poo poo the coverage here, but that seems like very overpriced insurance unless you've got 500k in pins. Which I'm sure some people do, but not most. If you're paying a couple hundred a year for 10 or 20k in pins, that seems like way too much.

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from mikeflan:

A couple of corrections: I'm the guy who had the BBB stolen. Initially, the insurance offered something along the lines of $3000 if I remember. After giving them a couple of quotes from a few pinball stores/dealers on here and contact information with experts for estimates of value, along with copies of recent games sold (on ebay and here), they cut me a check for full market value. Replacement cost rocks!
    That said, maybe they just like me, or saw that I've never had a claim in 10 years, or whatever. I felt lucky.

Did they then promptly drop you? We had homeowners insurance with Allstate for 20 years. Never filed a claim. Within three years, we filed a claim for a tree that fell and took out our fence (not expensive), an oven fire that we contained and only had to replace the oven (not expensive), and Superstorm Sandy, which forced us to replace one half of our roof ($7000). Then they dropped us. Mo**er f**kers.

#43 8 years ago

I spoke with my State Farm agent and told her my concerns (she laughed when I said pinball machines then told me her Son in Law has three in his house), she went and talked the underwriter and called me back
    Their answer is that it is covered just like any other property I have in my house for replacement value. I talked about limits and what I estimate it would cost to replace my 8 machines and again she said it would all be covered. I'm not stating for fact that this is true and I hope to God I never find out but it does make me feel better. She did tell me to make sure I have lots of pictures documenting them which I assured her I have.

#44 8 years ago

That collectors insurance is a scam, IMHO . If you have homeowners insurance , with replacement cost, you don't need it. No one is going to give me $500 for my pins - lmao! They will give me what I tell them it's worth or face the legal consequences. In other words, I am totally good, even on BBB. My contents coverage is way more value anyway.

Clients ALWAYS win lawsuits vs insurance companies over claims. Always. Juries hate insurance companies so they try to be assholes but it's all wind. Companies will always settle.

Disclaimer - I am an insurance agent. Since 1987. Largest agent in TN, AR, OK combined (just opened Memphis). We write about 40,000 new business policies a year. Premium is just shade of $40,000,000. I know what I'm talking about.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from viper001:

I have a question for one of the agents that have posted here. Is there any way an average person like me can ask for a review of my coverage to confirm what I really have paid for? Basically, I submit a small sampling of my collection and we pretend like it is a total loss, and have the company come back with what they would pay me? Seems like a reasonable request and exercise, and would make more sense to do before there is a problem. If this is possible what is this called so I sound like I know what I'm talking about?
    TIA

Sure - pay me. I'll have an agent do this for you - I called , he said $1,000 and I was like "you cra cra" - so he came down to $500. This is doable.

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from john32:

I am an insurance agent too an most people don't have anything collectible insured properly..The only way to insure them properly is schedule them on your homeowners under an inland marine policy for a value. Even if you have replacement cost on your regular policy for personal property you are at the hands of adjustor to hash out a value. My two cents is to get them scheduled!!!

This is not the whole truth.i am never at the mercy of the adjusters and neither are my clients. I know the local adjusters , almost all of them, or at least they know me. If a claim starts to go unfair on a client , if we have reason, we can get the adjuster attitude adjusted. Or just go straight to the lawyers. Insurance companies NEVER win claim disputes over total losses.

Listen - empower your clients! Tell them the insurance company litigation track record. Always advise your clients to sue over conflicts.

Your blanket statement about listing things on an inland marine schedule - come on dude, that's from the old days. I don't do that ever, unless they ask. I have had one total fire loss personally and more than I can count through the agency.

The gist is this - do not use pinside for your insurance needs. Sit down with an agent face to face - if it's really that important to you, it's worth it to know your agent and his competency level. Don't fall for pseudo insurance products , like Legal Expense insurance and collectors policies ... Oh and Aflac - f them.

#47 8 years ago

If an agent EVER tells you "you are covered" then you are, 100%. Every court in the country will hold him personally responsible if he said that. If that were the case you could use his errors and omissions coverage or even his business commercial general liability policy for your own personal needs. Hehe. I have seen a couple agents lose everything over those words. But the clients? They got paid. Just not from the insurance company.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

That collectors insurance is a scam, IMHO . If you have homeowners insurance , with replacement cost, you don't need it.

My understanding (but I am deferring to you) is that collector's insurance would be secondary to your primary coverage anyway. So in the case of a total loss of $5000 and your primary maxed out on paying $4000 (for whatever reason, market price, policy limit, etc) the collector insurance would kick in and potentially pay the additional $1000. But in no case could you expect to get double payment (IE $10,000) for this claim.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

If an agent EVER tells you "you are covered" then you are, 100%. Every court in the country will hold him personally responsible if he said that. If that were the case you could use his errors and omissions coverage or even his business commercial general liability policy for your own personal needs. Hehe. I have seen a couple agents lose everything over those words. But the clients? They got paid. Just not from the insurance company.

Correct, we agents do have error and omissions coverage, but you are looking at quite a bit in court fees. I'm glad you are happy with your coverage Rommy, I just got my opinions on it from what I have seen at work and what I read on here when this happens.

Quoted from mikeflan:

Hey, thanks for chiming in. I put on there that I might be mistaken and I'm glad you showed up. That's great it ended up working out for you. Are you looking for another one or are you going a different route? (Just curious)

#50 8 years ago

Here was the response I got from the collectables insurance company representative that posted earlier in this thread. This comes from their claims department in relation to my hypothetical claim question. I was hoping for a less hypothetical response....

"The basis of valuation for a claims settlement is the market value of the collectible immediately prior to the loss. There are many variables in the claims handing process, including item condition, type of loss, policy limits, deductibles, etc. Our experienced examiners work with our customers and evaluate each claim on an individual basis to reach a satisfactory resolution. Due to these variable factors, it’s difficult to provide a hypothetical estimated claim payout. "

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fire-and-flood-insurance-for-pinball-machines-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.