gt1 (resized).JPG
GT (resized).JPG
IMG_0556 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0555 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1088 HOTK strategies. Posted by Eskaybee (6 years ago)

Post #1479 Code 1.36 Release Notes Posted by chuckwurt (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joeschall.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1634 4 years ago

Having a problem with my GOT. After each ball launch as the ball enters the upper PF all the flippers die briefly, then they die again after the ball exits the upper PF as soon as it reaches the inlane switch. They die briefly during game play otherwise as well but at these two times they ALWAYS die.

Checked the integrity of all connectors with no luck and ran a diagnostics test of all node boards with no error messages.

I do get a tech alert to check the tilt pendulum switch, but the tilt works just fine and I assume this message is unrelated. Bad assumption?

Any ideas are welcome. I'm really stumped.

#1639 4 years ago

I've gone to the stern website to try to download the game code for GOT Premium, but it doesn't give me the option--it just takes me to "Related Posts" page:

https://sternpinball.com/support/game-code/game-of-thrones-premium-game-code/

Anyone able to help?

#1641 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Works for me. Go here and find 1.37 for the premium.

https://sternpinball.com/support/game-code/

GOT it. Operator error as usual. Thanks!

#1643 4 years ago

Okay, sorry to be a nag again but I'm still having problems downloading the GOT Premium code. For some reason it's just not downloading as a file that I can unzip--even though when I download my JP Premium code it does download as a file that I can unzip. For the GOT code, I've tried downloading it in three different browsers with no luck. Can someone please upload the GOT Premium code for me to a cloud from where I can download it?

#1644 4 years ago

Skip that last message. I called Stern and they said that the file did not need to be unzipped (even though the Read Me file says it does), so I'm attempting to update the code with the .spk file. Sorry.

#1646 4 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

I was trying today on my pin to see what the left return lane and the other switch has in common. Only thing that I think it could be is the Gound or CN15. Wished I could say for sure. My focus would be on CN15.

Thanks so much. I'll take a look. I did a code update and checked all connectors and wires again, but still no change.

#1649 4 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

Is it both flipper (top, bottom) that go dead?

Yes, all four flippers die simultaneously.

#1651 4 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

NODE #8, CN4 is the power in, it powers switches and all flippers. Make sure that connections good and tight.

Tried all the advice above but with no change. All red node board and backbox LED lights flash like crazy after the game boots, which I assume is incorrect. I'll give Stern a call to see if I get any ideas.

Thanks, Spiderpin for all the input. Much appreciated.

#1657 4 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Check spike board harnesses as well and if you have a shaker motor try disconnecting

Thanks. Yes--harnesses checked and shaker motor disconnected long ago. Also checked all the grounding braid and screws holding the grounds in place, and I made sure all node boards are tightly fastened. No change. I really appreciate the ideas, though.

Someone has suggested swapping the node boards, and from the manual it certainly looks as though boards 9 and 10 are identical, so I may try that to see if the problem transfers elsewhere. If so, perhaps it implicates node board 9. Opinions on that approach are welcome.

1 year later
#1906 2 years ago

Here is a tech question from an amateur as best as I can express it. Any insight is appreciated.

I am troubleshooting a problem with Game of Thrones LE, which I think I have traced to node board #8, although I can't be sure.

During game play, when all flippers are flipped simultaneously, all four flippers go dead randomly and regularly, independently of ball or switch behavior. Whenever the flippers go dead, the mode lights on the lower playfield visually "sweep" all at once, as though they have all been triggered rapidly, and then they return to normal.

As a test, I have blocked the signal to one or more flippers at a time (by covering up the switch contact points), and if I use just 1, 2, or 3 flippers they all work, but if all four flippers are in use they all die simultaneously. Also, if I simply put all flippers in the hold position (thus reducing the power) and move the ball over switches or even start a multiball by hand, no problems occur as long as the flippers are in the hold position.

I have also gone into the coil test in diagnostics to compare data for the flippers, and the readings I get are these:

Left lower flipper, Return =3, Power = 4
Right lower flipper, Return = 5, Power = 6
Left upper flipper, Return = 5, Power = 6
Right upper flipper, Return = 5, Power = 6

Given these different readings, I have tried replacing the coil on the left lower flipper with a new coil, but the diagnostics readings for the coils remain the same.

With the game turned on but without using the flippers, I have tested the voltage going into the flipper coils from node board #8, and it reads 48V as I believe it should.

I have also tried swapping node board #8 and #11, since they are the same part number, to see what would happen. The game won't play (it just goes into a ball search), but the diagnostics coil test still gives the same readings for return and power with node boards #8 and #11 switched.

From the manual, it looks as though CN4 on node board #8 powers the flippers.

So two questions:

(1) Could someone please go into their diagnostic coil tests on an LE and see if you get the same return and power readings as I do for the flippers? The different readings seem odd to me and perhaps there is a clue there.

(2) Is replacing node board #8 a likely fix? I can do that, but it's an expensive experiment.

Please advise, and many thanks.

#1908 2 years ago
Quoted from cynric:

When swapping node boards, be sure to change their IDs too (block of dip switches on there).

Thanks so much. Question: where are the dip switches on the node boards? I didn't see any.

#1910 2 years ago
Quoted from cynric:

There's a tiny switch panel with 3 or 4 switches on each board, maybe with some yellowish tape on it. With the 4 coil node it seems to be right in the middle of the PCB.

Thanks--I looked but sure didn't see the switches, but maybe they're just extremely tiny. I note that the manual suggests there are four DIP switches. That's very helpful.

#1912 2 years ago
Quoted from atum:

Attached is the node board with dipswitches highlighted. You need to swap 8 and 11. Then set the dipswitches. If you don't, as you saw, you will get that error because they don't do the right things. 8 runs into the lower board, and piggy tails into the trough. So its expecting 8 to be the trough opto. Once you switch the dipswitches, you should be up and running again. If you still aren't, call Stern. But more than likely both nodes are fried, and you need to get a new one to replace 8

Thanks so much. The visual is extremely helpful. I'll change the dip switches as designated in the manual and see what happens.

#1913 2 years ago

Success--at least as far as I know. Changing the dip switches in the two swapped node boards got rid of the issue of the flippers dying and I played two games with no problems evident. Time will tell, but if a new problem surfaces related to power, I will assume that node board #8 is implicated. Thanks so much to cynric and atum for the great advice. Where would I be without pinside?

The lower left flipper still feels weaker than the others, so I'm curious if that is just the way the game is programmed. In the diagnostics tests for the flippers I still get these readings:

Left lower flipper, Return =3, Power = 4
Right lower flipper, Return = 5, Power = 6
Left upper flipper, Return = 5, Power = 6
Right upper flipper, Return = 5, Power = 6

If someone with A GOT LE can confirm if they get these same readings, that would be useful.

Happy flipping to all!

3 weeks later
#1926 2 years ago
Quoted from atum:

Attached is the node board with dipswitches highlighted. You need to swap 8 and 11. Then set the dipswitches. If you don't, as you saw, you will get that error because they don't do the right things. 8 runs into the lower board, and piggy tails into the trough. So its expecting 8 to be the trough opto. Once you switch the dipswitches, you should be up and running again. If you still aren't, call Stern. But more than likely both nodes are fried, and you need to get a new one to replace 8.

Going back several posts, I did switch the identical node boards 8 and 11 and reset the dipswitches as recommended above to see the result. As a result, the machine problem transferred elsewhere (to other kickers and switches), confirming that node board 8 was bad. The Stern tech confirmed this approach and diagnosis as well. I finally replaced node board 8 and the game is 100% again. Thanks to several pinsiders for your excellent advice!

#1929 2 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Glad that worked out. May I ask what they charged for the node board?

The game was out of warranty, so I had to buy the board from a supplier. Indeed, 200+ for the board.

#1931 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If it helps at all, they used to cost way more. Haha

It is a big bite in the a$$ and it certainly challenges the notion of Stern's "node board solutions" being simple and desirable. It reminds me of why I and many other pinheads I know prefer the Williams games for serviceability.

#1933 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

There’s plenty of times that Williams boards need replaced too and they are just as expensive if not more.

Sterns can be repaired, just takes a different skill set / tools that many don’t have.

I hear ya, and I am one of those "many."

3 weeks later
#1936 2 years ago

I recently replaced two node boards on my GOT LE and although this addressed the specific problems I was having with flipper power, I am now having a problem with at least one opto (perhaps more than one) that I'm getting ready to troubleshoot. However, I notice that on every node board under the playfield there are two green LED indicators. The larger LED on each board is lit solid, which I assume is normal, but the smaller LED on each board (located close to the DIP switches) flashes rapidly and constantly. Can someone please confirm if this rapid flashing is normal or whether it is a potential indicator of a problem? I double checked that the DIP switches on the two node boards I replaced are set correctly, but I'm wondering if this rapid flashing means anything.

#1937 2 years ago

Answering my own question from my previous post after looking through a Spike system manual. It appears that the rapid flashing of the LEDs--which are yellow, not green--just indicates that the system is running. Thank you to all pinsiders for not embarrassing me with a response.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joeschall.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fire-and-bloodgame-of-thrones-premiumle-club?tu=joeschall and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.