Topic Stats

• 1,599 posts
  • 181 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 370 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200109_170841 (resized).jpg
game-of-thrones-castle-walls-prem_1024x1024 (resized).jpg
20191012_125211_HDR (resized).jpg
FB192438-0E5F-4D65-B343-AC1B8D76ED55 (resized).jpeg
BFTW.PNG
Mammoth.gif
IMG_20190810_191244 (resized).jpg
20190721_205205 (resized).jpg
20190719_224354 (resized).jpg
27164C79-0709-41D9-9A62-D64684B58DB8 (resized).jpeg
220AC03F-33FA-405C-A007-DDE390312104.gif
20190625_212249 (resized).jpg
20190625_211606 (resized).jpg
IMG_3142 (resized).jpg
IMG_0604 (resized).jpg
20190508_161327 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1599 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 32.
#351 3 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

The diverter arm is working just fine in diagnostics. When I launch, the ball will go to the upper playfield about ~50% of the time. I had presumed this was not supposed to be a 100% thing; rather, dependent upon which mode/ball was in play.
Just played with the glass off - never missed the mystery shot. Ugh. Then glass on - missed it twice in a row with the ball continuing thru and exiting from the left orbit. Seems if the the diverter arm had opened on the Mystery switch the ball would have bumped into the elevator assy and trickled back down into the pops, vs making it all the way around. The only common thread I can see is WIC is ready to be lit, or is lit when this happens.
The right orbit is a challenge for me to hit consistently - when I do hit it - I WANT TO TAKE CREDIT!!

I don't think I understood your response. When the glass is off, is the ball going into the elevator on the extra ball or mystery?

#352 3 years ago

OK I'm in. Have no idea what the hell I'm doing yet but I'm in.

Misc_001_(resized).jpg

Misc_004_(resized).jpg

#353 3 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Misc_001_(resized).jpgMisc_004_(resized).jpg

That's a badass trio right there!

#354 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I don't think I understood your response. When the glass is off, is the ball going into the elevator on the extra ball or mystery?

When glass is off and Mystery is lit, the ball reaches the elevator 100%. With glass on, in real game, when Mystery is lit, I am seeing many misses.

As noted above, I think I may have noticed WIC is ready to be lit ir is lit when these misses happen. Maybe I'll poke around some more with the glass off (I do get great scores that way! )

#355 3 years ago

With glass off, and Mystery or EB lit,

1. Each press of the right orbit switch opens the L&R Gates and opens the diverter arm.
2. Letting go of the switch closes the gates and the diverter arm
3. I could toggle the diverter & gates over and over without a ball passing thru
4. So, there is a time element, after you rollover the right orbit switch for the ball to reach the elevator in-time
5. On one occasion, I did press the right orbit switch and saw the diverter arm open, but the Gates did NOT also open. The ball hit the gate and trickled into the pops

I could not reproduce the issue. Grrr...

#356 3 years ago

Are you on the latest code update?

#357 3 years ago

Do you have the left orbit mod in your game? Your experience is exactly what I had when I had it in. Just that small lip got the ball off track for me and it was missing that shot a lot. Took it off and now get smooth orbits again but left orbit is bad again.

Another thing to look at is the control gates. My left one was interfering with the back ball guide. I had to trim the bracket to allow my ball guide to be flush again.

#358 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Do you have the left orbit mod in your game? Your experience is exactly what I had when I had it in. Just that small lip got the ball off track for me and it was missing that shot a lot. Took it off and now get smooth orbits again but left orbit is bad again.
Another thing to look at is the control gates. My left one was interfering with the back ball guide. I had to trim the bracket to allow my ball guide to be flush again.

I do have the diverter mod installed, and I get great left orbits.

It did occur to me that this might be a contributing factor for this issue. Easy enough to remove and try it out. I think I would trade away smooth left orbits for Mystery and Extra Balls!

Might be related to the left-right position of the diverter mod. I did find moving the mod a bit to the LEFT did improve the smoothness of the left orbits, but maybe this provides just enough interference to cause right orbit shots to miss the elevator and exit the left orbit. Maybe shifting to the right would help.

Hmmm...

#359 3 years ago

OK not sure if this applies to more than just my machine, but thought I would share. I was struggling with inconsistent throne "sits" on my LE. I adjusted the throne wireform position just slightly lower on left left screw (the screw closest to the elevator) now, I get solid throne "sits" every time. Happy such a minor adjustment worked.

Eric

1461461336687-1770631431_(resized).jpg

#360 3 years ago

By the way, the Stern engineering left orbit "fix" (removing the 3 top lane rubber rings) is generally working. My solid left orbit shots complete most of the time. Especially when it's a clean shot.

#361 3 years ago

I spent time tonite to poke around to see if I could improve my right orbit shot registration issue (been terrible) -

Changes:

1. Removed the diverter mod

2. Enlarged the diverter assy mtg holes with a stepper bit and pushed the assy forward ever so slightly.

3. I noticed a bur was forming on the leading edge of the left lane guide - where the diverter arm meets the guide. The ball would BOUNCE when it encountered this transition point in BOTH directions. I removed the bur with a dremel wheel to make perfectly flush with the diverter arm

Result:

1. I am getting very consistent fast and smooth left orbit shots. YAY!

2. Better still, I registered all but ONE Mystery/EB shot to the right lane! DOUBLE YAY!

3. I'd call this a pretty good success!

Other issues:

1. I found a chunk of broken plastic up near the diverter arm - maybe 1/4in x 1/4in square, blue color with printing on it. I inspected for a bit but could NOT locate which plastic was broken. Nothing obvious jumped out at me anywhere.

2. As I removed the upper playfield and ramps, then the large plastic sheet, I noticed a nice crack on the leading edge of what would be the cover of the Dragon Kickback lane, about 3/4in long. I added a mylar patch folded over the leading edge near the crack with hopes this would add padding to the leading edge of this large plastic sheet, and also help the crack from propagating. None of this is visible and its tucked under the upper playfield. I think I'll fabricate a sacrificial protector strip from acrylic sheet and mount just under the full leading edge.

3. Nearly every mounting hole in the ramp optos were stripped. I could only just barely get any resistance when tightening the screws. I'll address this next time I get under the hood.

4. Found the rubber bumper for the Dragon coil in the bottom of the cabinet.

5. Titan White sling rubbers were wearing badly on the bottom corner near the flippers - chewed-up and narrowing. I did not have any spares so I simply rotated the rubber to put the wear spots around back, facing the outlanes. Time for another order, I guess.

#362 3 years ago

Skypilot, nice trio of games you got there.

Hard to tell on the pics, but do you have any floor protectors under your pins?

I use the pinball shoes from pinball decals.

#363 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

By the way, the Stern engineering left orbit "fix" (removing the 3 top lane rubber rings) is generally working. My solid left orbit shots complete most of the time. Especially when it's a clean shot.

They finally came out with their fix? I don't remember seeing it.

#364 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

do you have any floor protectors under your pins?

No protectors,commercial laminate floor. no issues.

#365 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

They finally came out with their fix? I don't remember seeing it.

I called Stern support a week or so ago to replace a bad switch in my upper PF, and asked about the left orbit situation. He said the recommendation from engineering was to remove the 3 rubber rings (under the throne) at the top of the 3 upper lanes (the red posts) - He said that all Premium models produced in the future would not have those 3 rings installed. Now, nice, clean spinner shots make it around the orbit. Some still make it in the pops, but thats mostly because the shot either didn't have enough speed or wasn't clean. I have even backhanded the left orbit successfully a few times.

Eric

#366 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I called Stern support a week or so ago to replace a bad switch in my upper PF, and asked about the left orbit situation. He said the recommendation from engineering was to remove the 3 rubber rings (under the throne) at the top of the 3 upper lanes (the red posts) - He said that all Premium models produced in the future would not have those 3 rings installed. Now, nice, clean spinner shots make it around the orbit. Some still make it in the pops, but thats mostly because the shot either didn't have enough speed or wasn't clean. I have even backhanded the left orbit successfully a few times.
Eric

Am I the only one who thinks that it comes across as a lazy fix?

I honestly thought they were going to go with capgun ( did I get the name right?) orbit fix.

#367 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Am I the only one who thinks that it comes across as a lazy fix?
I honestly thought they were going to go with capgun ( did I get the name right?) orbit fix.

Lazy? Maybe. I am not sure that the cap fix was ideal (to do in large scale) for a couple reasons. There were lots of opportunities for folks to screw up that fix, and they had to do it perfectly. Also, in reading the fix post, it seems the right orbit would sometimes be affected by the fix. Not sure if this is because they did it wrong, but proves my earlier point in margin for error.

The reality of this design is there is a LOT of stuff (diverter, elevator, etc) packed back there. You will never see 100% completion because it is so tight. I am ok with that. It doesn't make the game less enjoyable for me at all.

#368 3 years ago

Hmm just shows you that Steve R is no longer King of Designs.
Cannot even fix an orbit!

#369 3 years ago

Not every LE/premium has a problem with the orbit shot. Mine works great.

Only adjustment I had to make was on one of the 2 way gates, had to bend the metal back just a tad so it wouldn't interfere with the ball. Compare that to my KISS, where I needed a new SD card and 2 node boards.

#370 3 years ago

GOT comes on tonight !!!!!

Holy cow... I can't think of the last time I really looked forward to a new season of anything.

Wonder if we'll be playing even more GOT while the season is running?

#371 3 years ago

Today I worked some hours on my GoT LE and his orbits ...
Pushed up the 2 screws from the plastics on the wireform.
Removed the rubberrings and installed nylon tubes instead.
Also build a little flap for the diverter but this was not usefull.

At least the reight orbit shots are now working.
Left orbit is the same as before ...

its time that someone else makes this little flaps for the diverter. Its a great work and a great idea but shipping this little piece of metal to Germany is way too expensive.

Too bad that no one in the german community made some of this.

its a shame how STERN handles this knowen issue. A reason for me not to buy GB.

#372 3 years ago

I put the shooter lane protector on from Cliffy today...then I played for a good 2 hours before tonight's episode...then for another 90 minutes after (and laundry at the same time).

I'm not sure about others, but IMO, Steve Ritchie has been on fire with his designs since coming back to Stern. I can't think of any other 3 machine release period of his that tops his last 3/

On another note, as I'm playing Winter is Coming tonight, all I could think of is how cool that must look on the premium. Any premium members have that mode on video?

#373 3 years ago

markp99 - Glad you got your orbit issues sorted out. As far as the blue plastic. It seems like it would have to be part of the plastic that goes under the castle. Can you post a pic of the piece? If so, I can try to locate it on my game. Also, for the plastic under the caste that is broken. You may want to give stern a call. They will probably replace it for you. That piece helps to keep a ball from hitting the underside of the mini playfield (drogon kickback mainly) so it's pretty important for it to be in good shape.

#374 3 years ago

This is a pic of the broken chunk-o-plastic. I inspected again just now - nothing obvious - looks the pointy end of something. The left edge of the chuck is what appears to be broken; the right sloping and bottom edges are smooth (factory). Maybe it does come from underneath the upper playfield.

I will give Stern a call and see if they'd be open to a replacement of the large sheet.

4-25-2016_11-40-14_AM_(resized).png

#375 3 years ago

Looks like that may actually be the tip of plastic 09 here. Hard to tell for sure though. Yours looks a bit different but not sure if that is just the lighting or if it's the wrong piece.

20160425_110837_(resized).jpg

#376 3 years ago

The other spot I was thinking of (took the pic from capgunners thread). I circled the area in yellow.

c4988b46bac31120681bf6fb9aba7f599e73deaf_(resized).jpeg

#377 3 years ago

85vett,

I thought for sure you nailed with that last picture. However, I stuck my finger thru the diverter arm slot - there is no jagged edge on the tip of that plastic. Looking at the little chunk-o-plastic, the color is a perfect match, but the angles are wrong. This is coming from somewhere else.

I'm not overly motivated to remove the upper playfield just to inspect - unless Stern offers to send me a replacement sheet.

Nothing is visible anywhere at all, so I guess, "out of sight, out of mind."

#378 3 years ago

Markp, I'm betting the plastic was broke on install and then replaced at the factory.. but the broken chunk was lost in the game till you found it.

#379 3 years ago

Mystery solved:

As I was removing the upper playfield once more to provide a picture of the crack in the large plastic (at Chas' request), I did confirm the chuck-o-plastic definitely did not come from there.

So, I poked around some more and did find the source - the plastic that surrounds the lower pop bumper, where the plastic shield attaches (bracket removed here). Took a picture for Chas as well.

4-25-2016_6-13-08_PM_(resized).png

Here's the crack in the leading edge of the left ramp plastic:

4-25-2016_6-10-08_PM_(resized).png

#380 3 years ago

Replacement plastics on the way.

#381 3 years ago

Chas rocks.

#382 3 years ago

She likes it, only problem is she can't see the upper PF!!

image_(resized).jpeg

#383 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

She likes it, only problem is she can't see the upper PF!!

image_(resized).jpeg

Get one of those title stools. That's what my girl used until she sprouted up.

#384 3 years ago

IKEA has a nice 2 step stool that fits perfectly under the game too. My daughter uses that and it's quick to slide outta the way for when I play

#385 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Get one of those title stools. That's what my girl used until she sprouted up.

Of course, but she is a ""big girl" now. Ha! She is actually better than her 3 older siblings.

#386 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Of course, but she is a ""big girl" now. Ha! She is actually better than her 3 older siblings.

Oh yeah I hear you on that one haha.

#387 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I am in! LE #443 reporting. Loving the game so far, just ordered the shaker that should have been included, cliffy shooter set, and plastic protectors.

I played kermit's GOTLE last night (poorly), and that finally got me off the dime. If all goes well, I'll be bringing home a Premium from SFGE (Southern Fried) in 6 weeks. Marco has a sweet deal where they'll bring a NIB pin, you set it up, and you take it home after the show's over and save about 10% off the street price. Since I would be bringing it to the show anyway, it's a no-brainer for me. I love the upper playfield! I know I'm making the right choice.

#388 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I played kermit's GOTLE last night (poorly), and that finally got me off the dime. If all goes well, I'll be bringing home a Premium from SFGE (Southern Fried) in 6 weeks. Marco has a sweet deal where they'll bring a NIB pin, you set it up, and you take it home after the show's over and save about 10% off the street price. Since I would be bringing it to the show anyway, it's a no-brainer for me. I love the upper playfield! I know I'm making the right choice.

Do they advertise this promotion? Would love to get one in Allentown.

#389 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Do they advertise this promotion? Would love to get one in Allentown.

I learned about it from the show organizers, but they also out it on our local mailing list. It may just be an Atlanta thing, since Marco has an arrangement with the local distro here. Do Marco come up to Allentown? I need to get up there one year.

#390 3 years ago

i heard they were doing this as well. I'll contact them

#391 3 years ago

I know the basic way the upper playfield progresses, but how well is it integrated into the rest of the game's rules? Are there stacking and score multiplier opportunities, or does it feel "bolted on" to the Pro ruleset? People around here seem very polarized about it. There are two complaints about the upper playfield that I can easily ignore:

1. "It blocks the view of the ball on the lower playfield." I claim that if you play the game more than a few times, you'll know where the ball is going to come out. And you should know a weak shot is coming back at you.

2. "It slows the game down". I didn't feel like GOTLE was too slow, and I like that I can cradle balls up there during Multiball (once I improve a little).

I just want to feel like the Pre/LE is the "real game". I want to be disappointed when I play a Pro.

#392 3 years ago

LE owner here. A few weeks ago, I played the pro at Modern Pinball. I kept shooting for the upper playfield. I probably would've liked the pro, if I hadn't already but a few hundred games on my LE.

#393 3 years ago

I love the rules with modes for the upper PF. Great coding with that, doesn't feel out of place at all plus you can get a multiball mode off it, kick ass!

#394 3 years ago

Change of plans. I'm driving to Jacksonville next Saturday to bring home an LE. I know the only difference is the artwork, but brownish-red is my favorite color. Plus, dragons! It'll go well with my favorite alternate translite.

Censored

This is my first LE. Hell, I don't even have a Premium. I just love upper playfields and I needed a Steve Ritchie DMD in my collection.

#395 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Change of plans. I'm driving to Jacksonville next Saturday to bring home an LE. I know the only difference is the artwork, but brownish-red is my favorite color. Plus, dragons! It'll go well with my favorite alternate translite.
Censored
This is my first LE. Hell, I don't even have a Premium. I just love upper playfields and I needed a Steve Ritchie DMD in my collection.

...and you'll be a blissfully happy man. "Choose your house!" is heard about every five minutes in my house, while the other machines just look on with envy.

#396 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

...and you'll be a blissfully happy man. "Choose your house!" is heard about every five minutes in my house, while the other machines just look on with envy.

That's just your wife telling you to hit the road

#397 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Censored

Get the sticker that goes next to the sword. That is a must mod for this game.

#398 3 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Misc_001_(resized).jpgMisc_004_(resized).jpg

Push the buttons on the sides

#399 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I know the basic way the upper playfield progresses, but how well is it integrated into the rest of the game's rules? Are there stacking and score multiplier opportunities, or does it feel "bolted on" to the Pro ruleset? People around here seem very polarized about it. There are two complaints about the upper playfield that I can easily ignore:
1. "It blocks the view of the ball on the lower playfield." I claim that if you play the game more than a few times, you'll know where the ball is going to come out. And you should know a weak shot is coming back at you.
2. "It slows the game down". I didn't feel like GOTLE was too slow, and I like that I can cradle balls up there during Multiball (once I improve a little).
I just want to feel like the Pre/LE is the "real game". I want to be disappointed when I play a Pro.

Going to be a personal preference. The mini playfield only slows the game down on the right ramp shot but it also adds an extra MB, ability to add time to modes (can be very lucrative in some modes), ability to collect castles (scoring and bonus points).

I own a LE but also play a pro all the time (for League) and I can tell you that I enjoy both very much but for different reasons. I like the mini PF, light show, interactive throne and I prefer the way you progress in Wall MB a lot more in the Prem/LE (pro feels to easy to me). If I could get my orbits to be as smooth as a pro then I would be a real happy camper as right now, that is the only plus to playing to pro for me.

#400 3 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Push the buttons on the sides

Nothing happens

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Antonio, TX
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 26.95
There are 1599 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 32.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside