IMG_2001 (resized).png
gt2 (resized).JPG
gt1 (resized).JPG
GT (resized).JPG
IMG_0556 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0555 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,237 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 45.
#501 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

There's another club for people who have done it multiple times.

I've been putting off doing my third tear down cleaning and waxing. Might get to it this weekend

#502 7 years ago

Here's my fix for Throne bounce-out: a speed bump. It's mostly hidden behind the throne, and it worked 50 out of 50 times in test mode for me. I cut a Titan post rubber down to about 1/2", sliced it down the middle and placed it over the wireform strut. Then use a little piece of electrical tape to seal the cut. The ball does a tiny little hop, which slows it down enough to always fall correctly.

018dcee130ed4dca98815b485e86742a0c868ddb.jpeg.jpg018dcee130ed4dca98815b485e86742a0c868ddb.jpeg.jpg

I only resorted to this because none of the other fixes worked for me.

#503 7 years ago

That's a funny fix.

Did you try lowering the ramp closer to the throne?

#504 7 years ago

I was thinking of how I could slow the ball down and had a hard time so thanks

#505 7 years ago

I guess I've been pretty lucky with my (week old) NIB Premium so far.

Just about all left orbit shots go all the way around. Haven't hit enough right orbits to see if this is an issue.

Throne works perfectly so far. VUK seems to get the ball up to the UPF fine.

The only little nitpicks I've uncovered are:

1. "Lock is lit" ramp tunnel--ball sometimes bounces back--doesn't back it to the ramp.
2. Sometimes on a Blackwater lock / pre battle start right ramp lock once the ball is locked and the battle selected it takes a while for the next ball to launch from the shooter. Might take 20 second or more--just hangs. I usually have to jiggle the machine and then it will kick in again, after making a sound like a "locating a ball" clunk.

#506 7 years ago
Quoted from raisindot:

I guess I've been pretty lucky with my (week old) NIB Premium so far.
Just about all left orbit shots go all the way around. Haven't hit enough right orbits to see if this is an issue.
Throne works perfectly so far. VUK seems to get the ball up to the UPF fine.
The only little nitpicks I've uncovered are:
1. "Lock is lit" ramp tunnel--ball sometimes bounces back--doesn't back it to the ramp.
2. Sometimes on a Blackwater lock / pre battle start right ramp lock once the ball is locked and the battle selected it takes a while for the next ball to launch from the shooter. Might take 20 second or more--just hangs. I usually have to jiggle the machine and then it will kick in again, after making a sound like a "locating a ball" clunk.

Ck your shooter lane switch in switch test mode.

#507 7 years ago

I'm loving my GoT premium, but there is one issue I'm having. About half the time when I shoot the right orbit Martel shot, it will not register. Works perfectly in switch test.

When I hit the shot smoothly, it registers, but if the ball rattles up through the orbit, it will go past the switch but not register/give me credit for the shot. Has anyone had to adjust this switch? Any guidance?

#508 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

That's a funny fix.
Did you try lowering the ramp closer to the throne?

Yes, and I also tried my buddy kermit's fix. Basic problem is that the ball is going too fast.

#509 7 years ago
Quoted from raisindot:

Haha, yep. This is just straight up "play better". Happens to me a lot, but usually a quick hit from the right flipper will send it home. It's not bouncing back, it's coming back because it wasn't a true enough shot.

#510 7 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Haha, yep. This is just straight up "play better". Happens to me a lot, but usually a quick hit from the right flipper will send it home. It's not bouncing back, it's coming back because it wasn't a true enough shot.

Yeah, you're right. This really is a shooter's game--precision is key. Still haven't figured out how to reliably hit the right side "lock is lit" bank with a direct shot, and hitting the "Castle Black" fast shoot out line is a challenge. Definitely a game that can demands you to improve your skills. I haven't come anywhere near completing more than one or two houses at this point. I may have to up to a 5-ball or more game if I ever want to see this through to a wizard mode, LOL.

#511 7 years ago

The toughest shot for me to hit reliably is the ramp to the upper playfield. I can backhand a trapped ball from the right flipper about 10% of the time - it's not quite strong enough to consistently make it all the way. The sweet spot from the left flipper is really small. I wish I could boost my flipper strength about 10-20% (I already have coil strength = HARD).

#512 7 years ago

Whenever I get a game with a metal trough, I cover the inside of it with Mylar. It cuts down on the metal-on-metal action, and the game stays clean a lot longer. An enterprising person should be able to create and 3D-print a liner.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#513 7 years ago

Yep, good idea. Lined mine wherever the ball makes contact, including the back wall and lip.

Now, if i could control the black dust from the upper playfield flippers that rains down into the orbit/ramps I'd be happy. I'm always wiping down those areas.

#514 7 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Now, if i could control the black dust from the upper playfield flippers that rains down into the orbit/ramps I'd be happy. I'm always wiping down those areas.

I second this. It just seems excessive. My left ramp is the first thing to look dirty.

#515 7 years ago

What are all the different versions of alternate translites available and where to get them? I can't stand the Stern translite, it needs to go!

#516 7 years ago

I did my LE penance this weekend, and I'd like to share what I've learned.

Loop Diverter

The first pic below shows where my loop diverter came to rest before I worked on it. Clearly this was bad for right orbits. The ball would hit the end of the guide and fall either into the pops or down the left side. Fortunately the fix was pretty easy. I just rotated the entire diverter coil assembly about 3-4mm clockwise. Right orbits are beautiful now. The second pic is the "after" shot.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

The ball elevator (VUK)

The trajectory of the ball in the VUK is very sensitive to the angle of the chute. If you tighten the top too much (tilting it back), the ball won’t reach the throne because it will rattle around in the chute. But if it’s too loose, the ball won’t make it to the upper playfield on the first try. Best bet is to adjust it forward (loosen top screws) until the Throne works perfectly, and then fiddle with the upper playfield diverter if needed (i.e. by bending the struts down, or by adding/removing washers). I was lucky and found the perfect angle to get reliable kicks up to the throne and the upper playfield. I won't be touching it again.

White Walker kickback

I hate to sound like a newb, but I thought my kickback was defective because sometimes it kicked weakly, or not at all. Now I can see that the optos are at the end of the kicker stroke. A strong hit will be kicked back forcefully, but a weak hit will catch the very end of the kicker stroke. I can't say I like this design, but at least now I know my kickback is okay.

The left orbit

I did capgun's rollover lane mod (heat shrink over a coil sleeve, very clever). But without his other mod, there's no full orbit from the left. I'm actually okay with this. Pop bumper awards are lucrative on this game, and hurry-up timers are paused while the ball bounces around in there. If I want a fast Martell finish, I just use the right orbit.

Iron Throne

I stared at this for a long time before I realized that the throne is held in by 2 very long screws that enter from the bottom of the playfield. It's not bad at all once you know that trick.

Final thoughts

Even with all the tweaking that's needed, I still think GOT Prem/LE is a Steve Ritchie / Dwight Sullivan masterpiece. A day of tweaking is nothing. I've spent months on some games, only to discover that they were no fun. GOTLE is a blast, and I know it will endure. Fire and Blood, fellow players!

#517 7 years ago

Here are some more pics of the game, torn down. I'm glad I learned how to take this beast completely apart and put it back together. One tip I would share is to remove the optos from the ramps by unscrewing them. Then you don't have to worry about getting the connectors wrong below the playfield, and you don't have to futz with the wire management.

#518 7 years ago

You and I had very similar days swampfire! My orbits are working great now after I slapped on the coil sleeves and enlarged the holes under the divertor to push it forward. Also added some washers to the VUK screws. Pretty scary to rip everything apart like that but glad I went for it and I think I'm ready to do my WH20 now. I can't believe how simple it is to take the throne off once you find the 2 Philips screws holding it on, it took my longer than it should have to find them hah.

#519 7 years ago

Actually GOTLE isn't nearly as bad as WH2O or DH or The Shadow. Those games were nuts.

#520 7 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Here's my fix for Throne bounce-out: a speed bump. It's mostly hidden behind the throne, and it worked 50 out of 50 times in test mode for me. I cut a Titan post rubber down to about 1/2", sliced it down the middle and placed it over the wireform strut. Then use a little piece of electrical tape to seal the cut. The ball does a tiny little hop, which slows it down enough to always fall correctly.

I only resorted to this because none of the other fixes worked for me.

Thanks for this. I took a 3/8 OD rubber and put a small cut on one side and place it in the same spot. 2 for 2 so far

#521 7 years ago

Joining club tues or wed...Great details and pics...Ill have to read back for the orbit fix in a nutshell. Do I need to order parts? or kit from stern?

#522 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Joining club tues or wed...Great details and pics...Ill have to read back for the orbit fix in a nutshell. Do I need to order parts? or kit from stern?

Congrats! Keep calm and enjoy the game. Shooting a complete left orbit is 1% of the game. IMHO.

#523 7 years ago

YOU GUYS. How crazy is this. I watched tonight's episode, and then played my GOTLE. Got Midnight Madness for the first time:

Hodor, Hodor,Hodor,Hodor,Hodor,Hodor,Hodor,Hodor,Hodor,Hodor,Hodor,Hodor,Hodor,Hodor
Hodor, Hodor,Hodor,Hodor,Hodor,Hodor,Hodor,Hodor,Hodor,Hodor,Hodor,Hodor,Hodor,Hodor

I loved that guy so much.

#524 7 years ago

In 1980, I was 16. On Fridays and Saturdays, my buddy Joe and I would clean the fry vats, sweep the floors, wipe down the drink machines and have a few beers (we loved our ex-con manager). At about 1:30am, we'd head over to JP's Steak and Eggs to play pinball. One day, there was something special: Black Knight. What a crazy game, it had ramps! We assumed the big points were on the upper playfield, and we'd fight like crazy to get up there. Every successful ramp shot made us super happy - especially that Mystery Gate shot.

Decades passed. In the 90's the upper playfield saw some innovation: The Shadow had its quirky paddle, White Water had a 1-flipper deal, and TZ had a cool magnet-flip playfield. The new millennium saw a few more attempts at an upper playfield: TSPP, Family Guy, Elvis, World Poker Tour...all great games, but they treated the upper playfield as something separate, and small. Mini-flippers told us "this isn't the real game, so finish this mode and get back to business."

Then Steve Ritchie made Game of Thrones. It was a return to form...bring back the upper playfield, and make it a big part of the game! For the first time since 1980, the ball launched to the upper playfield right away. 2 full-sized flippers, 5 switches and a signature tight loop told us: "This isn't a side show, this is part of the main event." Dwight Sullivan brought this vision to life by allowing players to advance modes with the upper playfield, and gave it a life of its own with independent progress and a killer multiball. The upper playfield was back in a big way, and its fans were happy again!

Of course, not everyone was happy. Some said: "Where does my ball go when it's under that playfield, hmm?" Others said: "What do I do up here? It seems pointless." Stern made a version of the game where the entire upper playfield was replaced with a single ramp, and legions of players were happy again.

But some of us knew. We knew that it's great to play a multiball on 2 levels. We knew that 4 flippers are better than 2. But most of all, we knew...The King was back.

#525 7 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Congrats! Keep calm and enjoy the game. Shooting a complete left orbit is 1% of the game. IMHO.

But it dominates 99% of the discussion.

#526 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

If you're talking about the "orbit" issue, my Premium (bought new late April) has had no issues making complete left or right orbits. It may be a machine by machine issue or maybe Stern has fixed this in later production runs.

#527 7 years ago

Mine is a few months old so I am sure Ill have a few things to tweak.

#528 7 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

YOU GUYS. How crazy is this. I watched tonight's episode, and then played my GOTLE. Got Midnight Madness for the first time:
I loved that guy so much.

Hold the door, hold the door.........

#529 7 years ago

Never assume anyone is dead.

#530 7 years ago

Laserific topper will be for sale soon. Need to see ball park value of topper. Pics soon. Send pm of intersted.

#531 7 years ago

I'm surprised how much I'm liking the light shows for WIC and Battle For the Wall. I don't like bright light shows, but this is really the opposite. It's kind of like Martian Hynobeam on RFM. And I love the sound of the ice cracking, awesome with the sub.

#532 7 years ago

What does it mean when the arrow just in front of the ram turns blue? Does that give me credit toward qualifying Targaryen if I hit it?

#533 7 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

What does it mean when the arrow just in front of the ram turns blue? Does that give me credit toward qualifying Targaryen if I hit it?

It's really kinda lame. Blue means next hit lights the playfield multiplier insert in front of the ram, then next hit actually lights playfield multiplier.

#534 7 years ago

Officially joined the club today!

#535 7 years ago
Quoted from Goalie:

Officially joined the club today!

Grats! That LE sure looks bitchin. Definitely the best looking of the 3 models, IMO.

#536 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Definitely the best looking of the 3 models

#537 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Grats! That LE sure looks bitchin. Definitely the best looking of the 3 models, IMO.

It was pretty hard for me to choose between Premium and LE. I thought the cab art on the Premium was fantastic. But I liked the LE playfield better, and I reasoned that that's what you look at the most. I would have been happy with either. Family prefers the LE dragon sideart, but I loved the mammoth and direwolf.

#538 7 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It was pretty hard for me to choose between Premium and LE. I thought the cab art on the Premium was fantastic. But I liked the LE playfield better, and I reasoned that that's what you look at the most. I would have been happy with either. Family prefers the LE dragon sideart, but I loved the mammoth and direwolf.

Your family was right, and you got the right machine. You're the first person to say they like the LE playfield better, I think, but when it's lit up, it's a beaut.

#539 7 years ago

Guys, since I got my GOT Premium I had the occasional problem of "nothing happening" when a ball would go to the right ramp to start a battle. It would let me choose the battle, but the new ball wouldn't launch. Eventually, the game triggers a "lost ball" and it does launch.

After I installed a protecter on the right outlane, the problem got worse. What I think is that when the ball gets to the ramp it needs to be "touching" that phallic white plastic thingie sticking up through the bottom--that somehow signals that the ball is there and start the mode. With the protector in there, the ball sits in the "cradle" but doesn't touch the white thing...just sits in the middle. I guess that protector is somehow lifting up the ramp enough that the ball doesn't move forward enough.

I guess I could remove the protector entirely to restore the "tilt," but I was wionder whether there's a way to adjust the pitch of the ramp itself to increase the downward slope? I supposed it could also level the game to make it steeper, but I kinda like it where it is--just enough to make it fast without jeapordizing the ability to make orbits or get to the upper playfiield.

#540 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Your family was right, and you got the right machine. You're the first person to say they like the LE playfield better, I think, but when it's lit up, it's a beaut.

What about me? I said I liked the LE play field better a few months ago.

#541 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

What about me? I said I liked the LE play field better a few months ago.

Oops. He's the second, then.

#542 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Oops. He's the second, then.

Let me be the third then that likes the LE playfeild better. Like somebody else said it looks like winter has already come and melted on the premium.

#543 7 years ago

The LE playfield looked much better to me after I swapped out the cool white GI for warm white frosteds.

#544 7 years ago

I much prefer the LE cabinet and playfield art. I hate the translite on all of them. Does anyone have the alternate translites that are on Ebay? Just wondering if anyone has seen the print quality. It look slike I'm too late to the party on the hand drawn one some people have.

Screen_Shot_2016-05-24_at_9.38.31_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-05-24_at_9.38.31_AM_(resized).png

#545 7 years ago
Quoted from Goalie:

I much prefer the LE cabinet and playfield art. I hate the translite on all of them. Does anyone have the alternate translites that are on Ebay? Just wondering if anyone has seen the print quality. It look slike I'm too late to the party on the hand drawn one some people have.

This is the only good one I've seen on eBay. Someone around here as it and it also looks good lit up in the game.

#546 7 years ago

I really like the LE backglass, now that I have the game. The details are really good.

There's some great art on DeviantArt, if you want to make your own translite. That's where most of the eBay ones come from anyway.

#547 7 years ago

I'm a freak. I really like the backglass on the premium and it's one of the reasons I went with that version.

#548 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I'm a freak. I really like the backglass on the premium and it's one of the reasons I went with that version.

All those guys north of the wall are freaks.

tumblr_o7lap4DOU31vuvjq6o4_500.giftumblr_o7lap4DOU31vuvjq6o4_500.gif

#549 7 years ago

Tormund gonna git some....

#550 7 years ago

Great game. Anyone give me couple quick strategies to start learning gsme. Thx

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Tuscaloosa, AL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

There are 2,237 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 45.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fire-and-bloodgame-of-thrones-premiumle-club/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.