(Topic ID: 81235)

Finishing my basement/pinball room...edit 99% done (finally!)

By Rockytop

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 220 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by OHEMIO
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_8163.jpg
    image-122.jpg
    DSC_3102.jpg
    DSC_3106.jpg
    DSC_3113.jpg
    DSC_3089.jpg
    DSC_3085.jpg
    DSC_3082.jpg
    image-390.jpg
    image-585.jpg
    image-14.jpg
    image-186.jpg
    image-527.jpg
    white-castle-2.jpg
    image-435.jpg
    image-650.jpg
    There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 10 years ago

These are the before pictures. The house was built in 1907 and the basement had a coal boiler and there was a coal shoot where they would load the coal. The room is 35 x 15.

photo 1.JPGphoto 1.JPG
    photo 2.JPGphoto 2.JPG
    photo 3.JPGphoto 3.JPG
    photo 4.JPGphoto 4.JPG
    photo 5.JPGphoto 5.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Here is what we have done so far:

1. painted the ceiling flat black, cleaned up wiring the in the cieling
    2. removed support beams. they were not supporting anything
    2. buried the sump pump
    3. Removed old boiler and relocated the newer boiler to create space
    4. sanded and finished the stairs
    5. knocked down wall opening up stairs
    5. added track lighting, wall sconces
    6. painted the walls, (we are leaving one side natural)
    7. removed shower

What we are going to do:

1. stain/seal the concrete
    2. build bar with distressed look and copper top, sink etc..
    3. lights with exposed edison bulbs over the bar
    3. mount tv in corner
    4. wine rack under stairs
    5. black curtain around boiler, ac units

photo 1.JPGphoto 1.JPG photo 2.JPGphoto 2.JPG photo 3.JPGphoto 3.JPG
    #3 10 years ago

That is going to be super cool. Did you spray your ceiling? NJGeko sprayed his and I am going to do the same.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rockytop:

The house was built in 1907 and the basement has a coal chute where they would load the coal.

So you're going to get your pins down there by just sliding them down the chute?

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from burningman:

That is going to be super cool. Did you spray your ceiling? NJGeko sprayed his and I am going to do the same.

Yep, we sprayed it. It turned out great.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

So you're going to get your pins down there by just sliding them down the chute?

Absolutely, that would be the most efficient thing to do

#7 10 years ago

Wow. That's the most basementy looking basement I've seen in a long time. Lots of potential there.

#8 10 years ago

Whatever u do, leave the walls as they are. Just a fresh coat of paint (maybe sandy color?) and ceiling mounted spotlights as close to the walls as u can get. The texture is just awesome and will pop out nicely.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rockytop:

Yep, we sprayed it. It turned out great.

What sprayer did you use?

I am about 2 weeks away from doing my ceiling. All the games are out of the room and just finishing up the electrical

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from RoadRunner:

Whatever u do, leave the walls as they are. Just a fresh coat of paint (maybe sandy color?) and ceiling mounted spotlights as close to the walls as u can get. The texture is just awesome and will pop out nicely.

Uninsulated, it would keep the room cooler in the summer I'll bet as well.

#11 10 years ago

Doesnt matter what sprayer you use. It can be even rattle cans or a roller; just paint it matt black and it will be fine.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Uninsulated, it would keep the room cooler in the summer I'll bet as well.

Plus you prevent mold if you don't block the walls with anything. Win-win-win situation

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from RoadRunner:

We love the walls. We don't plan on doing anything other than use an acid wash on the untainted walls and then putting a clear coat sealer. It's completely underground, so the temperature stays pretty regulated. In the winter, the pipes from the boiler heat up the room nicely. I may have a fan running in the summer, but it's pretty nice down there even when it's 100 outside.

#14 10 years ago

Bricked in the windows, so no dirt would get through. The GC had someone do this. This is beyond the scope of what I could do.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-525.jpgimage-525.jpg
    #15 10 years ago

those walls are rad. love them.

1 week later
    #16 10 years ago

How is this going?

1 month later
    #17 10 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

Update...stained and sealed floor. I think we are going to put on more coat on the floor. Also mounted a tv. All that's really left is building the bar and wine racks under the staircase. Then it will be time to bring down the pins, poker table, put up the dart board, etc...

image-740.jpgimage-740.jpg
    #18 10 years ago

The beams were just for deflection in the floor? I would have yanked them too and just put bridging in

#19 10 years ago

Wine barrel I'm using as a small table. Perfect height for bar stools. TZ. sign I picked up at the TPF.

image-512.jpgimage-512.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg
    #20 10 years ago

It was strange. The beams weren't doing anything really. Some weren't even touching the floor. I brought a couple of contractors in and they said these beams weren't necessary.

#21 10 years ago

Previous owners could have been sensitive to deflection ( bounce ) in the floor , or maybe had a pool table , or waterbeds ( lol @ 80's waterbeds , push once , coast for five!!) and worried about the extra weight . Some DIY do some silly stuff.

#22 10 years ago

Wow! Looking really nice bro! That is a SWEET space. Plenty of room for a great collection. Good luck the rest of the way. I hope it all goes smoothly for you guys.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from ls1chris:

Previous owners could have been sensitive to deflection ( bounce ) in the floor , or maybe had a pool table , or waterbeds ( lol @ 80's waterbeds , push once , coast for five!!) and worried about the extra weight . Some DIY do some silly stuff.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I slept on a water bed once. I woke up and felt I had been tortured.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Wow! Looking really nice bro! That is a SWEET space. Plenty of room for a great collection. Good luck the rest of the way. I hope it all goes smoothly for you guys.

Thanks man!! I think I can get 12-15 pins down here. My wife wants to put a couch in one corner where I could put 2-3 pins.

Edit: Just did some measuring. If I packed em in I would have the space for 19 pins I believe. I don't think I want it that crowded, but it's nice to know I'll have some space to grow the collection.

#25 10 years ago

Looking good Kenny! Can't wait to see it when it's done and the pins are in the room! Really like that TZ sign!

Ed

#26 10 years ago

I think you should have painted the walls, you should have left them all natural especially with the scone lights lighting them up. Sure it would have been darker down there but I think it would have given the room a more dramatic look and would have been plenty bright with all the games, neon and bar lit up. Just my 2 cents.

#27 10 years ago

Oh...have you had your basement check for Radon? You'll be spending a lot of time down there.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from eharan:

Looking good Kenny! Can't wait to see it when it's done and the pins are in the room! Really like that TZ sign!
    Ed

Thanks Ed!! Can't wait get to get them down there and get everything set up. You need to come visit if you ever come to Nashville.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I think you should have painted the walls, you should have left them all natural especially with the scone lights lighting them up. Sure it would have been darker down there but I think it would have given the room a more dramatic look and would have been plenty bright with all the games, neon and bar lit up. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you. We wanted to leave the stone unpainted, but because of moisture concerns we decided to mortar/paint the walls with a material that blocks moisture.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh...have you had your basement check for Radon? You'll be spending a lot of time down there.

We haven't, but that's a good idea. We'll have to get a test kit and do that. Thanks for the heads up.

#31 10 years ago

This reminds me of our basement. We have a 1926 house and I'm sure it had a boiler too. There were two floor drains and both were concave in the floor. Think Orbitor 1. We had to pour in gypcrete to level the floor and then install carpet.

We had extra floor posts too. We ended up bolting an engineered 2x12 beam to the existing beam before taking out 2 of the 3 posts just to be safe, but I really don't think the posts were necessary.

It's good that you have all of your machinery in the corner. Ours is that way too. Nice not having it smack dab in the middle of the room. Should look really nice when you're done and will be very functional.

#32 10 years ago

Any idea where I might be able to find a Twilight Zone sign like that?

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

This reminds me of our basement. We have a 1926 house and I'm sure it had a boiler too. There were two floor drains and both were concave in the floor. Think Orbitor 1. We had to pour in gypcrete to level the floor and then install carpet.
    We had extra floor posts too. We ended up bolting an engineered 2x12 beam to the existing beam before taking out 2 of the 3 posts just to be safe, but I really don't think the posts were necessary.
    It's good that you have all of your machinery in the corner. Ours is that way too. Nice not having it smack dab in the middle of the room. Should look really nice when you're done and will be very functional.

Thanks! That does sound a lot like our basement. I'm really excited to start using it soon.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from Danzig:

Any idea where I might be able to find a Twilight Zone sign like that?

Not sure, but if you contacted someone associated with the Texas Pinball Festival I bet they could tell you the vendor who sells these.

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rockytop:

Thanks man!! I think I can get 12-15 pins down here. My wife wants to put a couch in one corner where I could put 2-3 pins.
    Edit: Just did some measuring. If I packed em in I would have the space for 19 pins I believe. I don't think I want it that crowded, but it's nice to know I'll have some space to grow the collection.

Score brownie points with the wife, put a couch down there. It's the right call anyway.

Need a place to kick it.

#36 10 years ago

Looks cool. Kinda like a pinball coffee house feel I bet. I have a huge basement but the placement of the stairs really limits me. I'm jealous. Keep up the food work and keep the pictures coming.

#37 10 years ago

Nice room. I like the painted brick. A rustic room like this will look amazing with pinball machines.

Quoted from Rockytop:

2. buried the sump pump

ummm did you do anything to deal with NOT having the sump pump?? Obviously it was there for a reason.

#38 10 years ago

Love the look. I'm sure your going have a blast down there. I have only one concern though. You bricked up the windows, God forbid, but if you have a fire upstairs, are you a dead man? Or do you have a alternate escape route. Here in Michigan that wouldn't be allowed unless you have a walkout basement.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from J_Cutler:

I have only one concern though. You bricked up the windows

I thought about that too. If anything, just being able to crack it is a big plus. League night at my place brings in some very unpleasant smells with some... I am UBER glad I gotz me a couple of windows

#40 10 years ago

radon is usually present in all basements , it comes from the soil, good thing to check, it sucks having to put in a radon pump but I had to do it in my basement, the more you seal in that area , the higher concentration of radon will be present, looks like you have asbestos insulation on your heat pipes, you may want to address that to be safe, watch for condensation on your water lines, you may want to wrap them with insulation, you don't want them "sweating" dripping water on your pins, looks like an awesome man cave, good job

#41 10 years ago

That is one of the most cool looking old basements I have seen, it's great that it is pretty square-easy to work with. Really looking forward to seeing the end results and the wet bar details!

#42 10 years ago

What kind of head room do you have? One thing nice about hot water heat...no duct work hanging down.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from J_Cutler:

Love the look. I'm sure your going have a blast down there. I have only one concern though. You bricked up the windows, God forbid, but if you have a fire upstairs, are you a dead man? Or do you have a alternate Escape route. Here in Michigan that wouldn't be allowed unless you have a walkout basement.

Good question. There are 2 ways outs...the stairs and a cellar entrance.

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I thought about that too. If anything, just being able to crack it is a big plus. League night at my place brings in some very unpleasant smells with some... I am UBER glad I gotz me a couple of windows

The windows are underground, with the exception of a few inches of daylight. One was used as a coal chute so I'm sure they were exposed at some point in the life of the house.

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Nice room. I like the painted brick. A rustic room like this will look amazing with pinball machines.

ummm did you do anything to deal with NOT having the sump pump?? Obviously it was there for a reason.

It's still there...it's built into the floor now. I definitely wanted to keep it in case we needed it.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

What kind of head room do you have? One thing nice about hot water heat...no duct work hanging down.

About 9 feet. Some of the pipes are lower.

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from bobbyt:

radon is usually present in all basements , it comes from the soil, good thing to check, it sucks having to put in a radon pump but I had to do it in my basement, the more you seal in that area , the higher concentration of radon will be present, looks like you have asbestos insulation on your heat pipes, you may want to address that to be safe, watch for condensation on your water lines, you may want to wrap them with insulation, you don't want them "sweating" dripping water on your pins, looks like an awesome man cave, good job

Thanks for the info about Radon. I didn't think of the pipes sweating...I'll have to keep an eye on that.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

More pics please!!

No problem! Here you can see the stairs from the house as well as the cellar entrance. We are doing wine racks under the stairs .

image-688.jpgimage-688.jpg
    image-358.jpgimage-358.jpg
    image-166.jpgimage-166.jpg
    image-241.jpgimage-241.jpg
    image-637.jpgimage-637.jpg

#50 10 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

Here you can see the sump pump in the floor. All the lights are can de dimmed. I have about 20 feet of space on the side walls. About 8 and a half along the wall near the boiler. I'm thinking about making a coffee table with my old MM playfield...not sure if that's sacrilegious or not., but I figure there will be plenty of them available in the future.

image-32.jpgimage-32.jpg image-431.jpgimage-431.jpg image-938.jpgimage-938.jpg image-413.jpgimage-413.jpg image-92.jpgimage-92.jpg
    There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/finishing-my-basementpinball-room and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.