Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by JBK
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

basement (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20180203-200015 (resized).png
    DSCF1664 (resized).JPG
    DSCF1663 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20180203-020817 (resized).png
    20171231_165908 (resized).jpg
    20171231_165853 (resized).jpg
    20180202_200854 (resized).jpg
    20170520_114405 (resized).jpg
    2017-09-15 21.34.26 (resized).jpg
    2017-09-12 17.25.01 (resized).jpg
    2017-01-12 20.27.32 (resized).jpg
    20180202_095601 (resized).jpg
    20180123_214418 (resized).jpg
    CB85013E-CF1B-43F4-90D1-18C05C84ECCD (resized).jpeg
    1517581012590103509372 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 6 years ago

100% spray the ceiling BLACK. Do not spray it white. It will always look dirty. Spray black and you will never notice it again. Flat is best, if you get a black tint with a bit of the color from your walls, it will blend better.

If you have water moisture, you can do the raised floor - "DriCore" is what it's called. I used it in my office where I have all our electrical stuff (computer servers, etc) and the rest of the basement is where we had the water issues! Lol.

Get rid of the oil tank - it takes up way more space than it looks, and will cost you $600 for a junk hauler to take it. If they can get it out of your house in one piece, they can re-sell it and you'll have 2-3 guys asking to haul it away.

You're in Connecticut - you will want insulation. There's a cheap way to insulate - using fiber batts (the rolled stuff that comes in those huge bags), but this can contribute to mold if it gets even a LITTLE wet. So better to use Foam boards - the R-value isn't quite as high but you can put them right against the walls, and no mold. You will want insulation if you are putting pins down there.

I wouldn't even worry about the floor unless you have moisture; depends on how livable you want your space to be. My basement is 800 ft2, cost me $21000 to do the whole thing, floor, ceiling, paint, drywall, move the furnace, and we added a bathroom as well.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

As always black cieling. You can buy a cheap sprayer and get the cheapest paint they have and save a lot of cash.
    Brother in law borrowed my sprayer and did his... Wait for it.... Sky Blue. Uff the horror

LOL!! It is worth it to get the good paint, as it's easier to clean, but the most important thing is to get it covered.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

What's he supposed to store fuel oil in for the furnace?

I should have specified: I’m assuming it’s been disconnected - if the furnace still runs on oil, keep it!

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I have heard that but It didn't seem like it to me. I bought the cheapest shit they had, "we sell this to schools to paint stage sets with" was strangly the quote
    Of course it was a work zone and I didn't care hat I got on the floor.

It doesn’t really matter that much for the ceiling and floor joists - the better paint sticks better, which is important, but nobody’s messing with stuff up there for the most part. It does make a difference on the walls - it is thicker and you can do more square footage with fewer cans of paint.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Do you need to attach that Dricore to the floor? I'm due for some new carpet soon and that looks like a good option for me.

No, it literally sits atop the concrete. Watch out if it’s not pretty level, though, it will conform to the concrete eventually and you may have some weird dips. It locks together like tongue and groove. It is pretty expensive - $500/ square I think? But it’s a good option and way cheaper if you have moisture coming up from the floor

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

What are your thoughts on these requirements?

Well those are fairly standard spec for my area. Insulation, proper electrical code, plumbing, make sure you have enough space for the furnace to get the necessary amount of air. All good stuff, and will make it easier to sell the house later. You don’t want to cheap out and then end up on the Darwin Awards

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

The manufacture says that dricore should be attached to the floor. You run a few tapcons in around the perimeter and a few in the center.
    I hired a certified electrician to check my design and layout before I started. He made sure I wasn’t over loading any lighting / outlet circuits and verified how I was planning on wiring. I had him come back after I was done to wire the panel and re-check that I did it correctly. I also had a plumber in to do the same thing.
    Before I started my basement finishing project I had never cut a 2x4 in half. I didn’t even own a saw. I paid $99 for some online “How to finish your basement” videos and it was the best $100 I ever spent.

With respect, Dricore is supposed to be floating. In extreme circumstances, they do say you can attach to the floor, but doing this can wreck the benefits of the product, since the little feet are now pierced

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/finishing-a-basement-on-a-budget?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.