(Topic ID: 14681)

Finished shopping my Rocky & Bullwinkle. It's hella fun.

By RussMyers

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 191 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by FirebrandX
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinballbombtargets.jpg
bombstickeroriginal.jpg
bombstickeralt.jpg
DEDops3.jpg
DEDops4.jpg
DEDops2.jpg
DEDops.jpg
starpostmod.jpg
nosbullwinkleplastics.jpg
IMG_3667-1024.JPG
IMG_3666-1024.JPG
IMG_3653-1024.JPG
IMG_3652-1024.JPG
DE logo repainted.jpg
Pinball Level Sticker.jpg
Pinball Caution Sticker.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FirebrandX.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 10 years ago

I'm in the process of restoring a Bullwinkle pinball I recently purchased. Although the playfield, ramps, and the hat trick backbox are in perfect working order, I got the machine for pretty cheap since the exterior cabinet paint job is pretty beat up on side and front.

So I'm just restoring everything else into pristine condition where I can. To Russ: I really like you idea of replacing the posts with colored ones. If you don't mind me asking, could you list the online places where you ordered all your parts from? I'd like to check them out myself as I may do something similar, though I will be going the black rubber route.

#17 10 years ago

Speaking of cointaker, I'm not sure which I should go with. They have a game-specific kit for Bullwinkle, but I don't think it uses the anti-ghosting LEDs. I'm wondering why buy the kit when you could just directly order the anti-ghosting LEDs? Their web site is a bit confusing on all the options. It's not very well organized or "polished" web design I should say.

Anyway, I just got a brand new DMD in and installed that tonight. The original one in there was nearly 20 years old, and it was starting to show slight signs of outgassing on some animations. Now everything is razor sharp and perfect with the new display.

Thanks for the list of places you order from. I've already been ordering various parts from Marco, Mad, and Bay Area. I got the DMD for the best price at Mad Amusements. You can't beat $159 when the other sites are wanting near $200 and sometimes over $200 for one.

Post edited by FirebrandX : typos

#18 10 years ago

Just one more quick question, Russ:

How many of each color of star posts did you end up ordering to replace the boring DE ones?

Thanks!

#20 10 years ago

You slept since then?

Thanks man. I'll just order like 25 of each clear and blue, and then 5x red and yellow should cover everything. I'm doing pretty much the same job on my machine as yours, except I'm going with white flipper buttons like the originals. While blue is my favorite color, the white ones seem to match the overall scheme better and pop more.

3 weeks later
#22 10 years ago

One last question: Where did you get those circular plastic wafers that act as protectors on the screw posts?

#25 10 years ago

Cool thanks! I just ordered a bunch more pieces for my restoration project. Here's a snapshot of my current progress log:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/pinballrestorationproject.png

#27 10 years ago

My Cliffy protectors and colored posts arrived today. I just spent the last 3 hours stripping the old hardware out, dremeling off rusted parts, installing new rubbers in the stripped areas, and then finally installing the protectors and posts. I did the same theme of color-matching the bomb posts and it does look slick. For the post near the Aesop hole, I went with metallic silver.

At any rate, I was a bit shocked at all the damage that had been done to the jackpot ramp over the past 20 years when I stripped it out and inspected it closely. The Cliffy protectors now hide all the damage from view, but I'd sure feel a lot better with a new ramp at some point in the future. Unfortunately the guys that make the reproduction ramps got snake-bit after their WABAC ramp was a poor seller, and they tell me they're not going near Bullwinkle again.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Those are PETG fender washers:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=223
They come in different sizes.
RM

Edit:

Nevermind. Turns out it was blue wrap coating that can be peeled off.

#32 10 years ago

I had a sudden bout of inspiration concerning the Red B.O.M.B. target's rear post. At first I went with Russ's idea of using a red star post, but it just didn't match as well as Cliffy's colored rubber posts do. So it occurred to me to try slicing a Cliffy post and force-fitting both ends on the original DE metal post. Although a bit crude of a prototype, the effect worked perfectly! Here are some pics of the modified post:

bullwinkleredbombpost01.jpgbullwinkleredbombpost01.jpg bullwinkleredbombpost02.jpgbullwinkleredbombpost02.jpg bullwinkleredbombpost03.jpgbullwinkleredbombpost03.jpg

1 week later
#36 10 years ago

I got another batch of LEDs from Cointaker as I'm in the process of designing the G.I. lighting scheme now that I've got the insert LEDs completed. For testing, I had ordered warm white frosted premiums, cool white frosted premiums, cool white 2-LED premiums, and cool white super Retros. Of the lot of them, the cool white frosted premiums really stood out as the best look. If you wanted an authentic retro lighting feel, then the warm white frosteds were best for that.

Thus far, I have used blue frosted premiums under the return lanes & upper lane guides (looks awesome), and then I used pink frosted premiums in the two sockets behind the SAVED targets (also looks awesome). I used a RED 2-LED premium for the shielded light in front of the NELL table, which helps to show the danger of the situation. The rest of the G.I. in the playfield I'm just going to finish off with cool white frosteds, though I may experiment with a couple of green frosteds just to see if they work with the overall scheme somewhere on the board.

#37 10 years ago

So the one thing that's been bothering my about my restoration work on my Bullwinkle machine is the lack of options for restoring the ramps. I managed to get a new WABAC ramp installed. but the right "Ball Entrance" ramp had some severe damage at the bottom where it gets secured to the playfield. Furthermore, the metal flap for it was severely rusted. As luck would have it, I found a site in Norway that had a near perfect entrance ramp in stock! It's a miracle someone didn't snag it before me, so I quickly ordered it. Now all I need is a new decal for the "return" ramp, but I wouldn't mind just buying a new one of those as well.

#38 10 years ago

Just finished restoring the original green Wells/Gardner coin buttons (which they no longer make in green, so hold onto them if you got 'em) and installed them with green LEDs from cointaker. They look quite attractive now! I attached a pic, but it's not very clear (should've used a tripod).

Also, I purchased a new Nell table decal from Bay Area Amusements. I had to disassemble the Nell table to swap the old decal out, and I'll say that removing the Nell log was quite tricky! Nell is riveted to the log, so you have to slightly loosen the nuts, then slide the log forward a half-centimeter so the screw posts are now in the wider slot area holes. Then you have to continue to loosen the nuts while lifting the log up the posts until it comes completely off.

At any rate, the Nell table is now almost entirely rebuilt from new parts except for the long hitching post plastic and the Nell log assembly. I took the opportunity to use plastic PETG 1/2 inch washers with the top mounting screws in order to protect the decal from damage. The old decal was shredded around the screws, so the new decal was a vast improvement. The plastic washers will keep it that way.

pinballcoinbuttons.jpgpinballcoinbuttons.jpg

2 weeks later
#40 10 years ago

Just got in a replacement entrance ramp from Norway, and also a set of NOS slingshot art pieces from a local dealer. Here are some comparison pics:

Bullwinklescans_-_Repro_Comparison_01..jpgBullwinklescans_-_Repro_Comparison_01..jpg bullwinkleentranceramps01.jpgbullwinkleentranceramps01.jpg bullwinkleentranceramps02.jpgbullwinkleentranceramps02.jpg

1 week later
#42 10 years ago

The entire cost for it with ensured and tracked postage ended up being $90, which is still a better price than if I had found a local dealer with one. They usually charge $100 for a ramp.

#44 10 years ago

Arakissun let me raid his R&B for all the remaining parts I needed, including a replacement backglass. All I have to do now is cross my fingers and hope nothing goes wrong with the shipping from Bulgaria.

#46 10 years ago

It's not NOS, but it doesn't have the severe scrapes and flake spots my current one does. Once I get everything in the mail, I'll take more pics.

2 weeks later
#48 10 years ago

The money pit continues:

Currently waiting on two more shipments, one being from Pinrestore.com to replace all the remaining old screws and nuts, and the other to finish off the flashers in the playfield with LEDs. Speaking of which, I tallied up the cost of my custom LED job that used all premiums, and the total came to $255 USD. That covered everything from coin mechs to the backbox.

#51 10 years ago

Thankfully I can get the glass channels, rails, and side armor all from the same place here in the States. In other news, I finally heard back from the online dealer in Norway, and they sent me a set of detailed photographs of their return lane ramp. The sucker is in pristine condition! So I ordered it immediately for $50 USD. This means I will have two spare return lane ramps if anyone ends up needing one. They are both intact and in working order, except that since they are used, the metal tongues have rusted spots on them and the air plane decal is worn on both. Maybe I will put up a for-sale thread for them at some point.

At any rate, I'm really stoked. All three plastic ramps will now look show-room quality, and yet I started off with little chance of replacing ANY of them! About the only things left I could replace are the playfield board itself and the pie display. Both are in good condition, but not NOS-quality flawless. I can live with that though.

#52 10 years ago

Just got the LED flashers in the mail today. I installed all 30 of them, and all worked perfectly. I went with FLEX style on the majority of them, which gave me freedom to aim the light output where I needed it on the various flasher inserts. I also used some blue-colored flashers in a few key spots to keep up with my cool-white and blue G.I. combo. They looked stunning when I turned on the diagnostic flasher cycle test.

So this completely finishes off the LED conversion from head to toe. I used almost exclusively cointaker premiums and flashers, except for the pop-bumpers and and overhead ramps lights, which were from Noflix in Germany. Total cost of LED conversion (not counting shipping): $255. This means those pre-packaged LED kits don't save you any money, especially when you consider I used all premiums whenever possible.

Lastly, I placed another order with Marco and Pinrestore to completely finish off replacing the screws, washer, nuts, and spacers with shiny brand new ones. Project log is updated:

#55 10 years ago

Nice red scheme there, worm!

BTW, I noticed no score cards in your apron display. I made my own free play card if you want to print it out and use it yourself:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/bullwinklecard.bmp

#57 10 years ago

I still have the original instruction card, but even those are of poor print quality. I'm thinking of redesigning a new one, probably in color too.

#59 10 years ago

The one on the metal plate? My guess is these shooter lanes were universal, so some games may have used that post to attach plastic art too possibly.

#61 10 years ago

LOL. I've spent too much money restoring it at this point to even come close to breaking even. But I understood that going in. This was to be my introduction to pinball and restoration as I've never owned one before. I have plenty of experience with arcade machines, so I wasn't completely clueless, but honestly the trick is to just do a lot of research and get your hands dirty.

Edit: I also need to mention I found that replacing the 2 1/4 inch hex spacer holding up the return ramp with a 2 1/2 inch version seemed to improve the alignment of the ramp. With the shorter post, the underneath of the ramp was touching the WABAC ramp right where the decal is worn. Now they do not touch, and this will help protect the new ramp when I get it in the mail. Speaking of which, I heard back from Norway that my return ramp has been shipped. When it arrives, that will give me an excuse to swap out the pop-bumpers with the new parts sitting on my shelf. The old ones work perfectly fine, but putting in pristine new ones is all part of my effort to make it showroom quality. Here's a pic of the ramp coming in the mail (click on the image to zoom in):

bullwinklereturnramp.jpgbullwinklereturnramp.jpg

#63 10 years ago

Well the wood is at least something you can restore without unique parts if you're willing build a new box. I'm considering rebuilding the entire cabinet with better quality wood on mine once I scan in all the artwork. Then I'm going to have laminated stickers made to scale with the artwork printed on them that can be applied to the cabinet.

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

All ready working on creating the cabinet for some DE games. Let me know how many people would be interested in them. Right now we are going to be making cabs for,
Rocky & Bullwinkle
Tales from the Crypt
Jurassic Park
Star Wars

Fantastic! If the price is reasonable, I'm in for an R&B cab as that will save me a lot of time and effort.

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

That is one thing that I will need done too.

Yep. I've got two different backglasses, and both have damage to the nose. Putting a little square of self-adhesive felt padding on the screw head prevents this kind of damage, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a glass that isn't already ruined from it.

#74 10 years ago

So I got bored and rebuilt the flippers with the kit I had on hand. What's funny is R&B doesn't use half the "default" parts online dealers include with these kits, like EOS switches and those large springs.

Anyway, when I stripped out the old parts, I noticed someone had installed the spring washers on the diode side instead of the coil-stop side. I checked the manual and indeed it shows they should be on the coil-stop side, so I'm going to assume whoever serviced the flippers prior had merely made a mistake.

So now I'm just waiting on the return ramp to get here, and then I will finish off the playfield restoration in one final swoop.

Edit:

I said "screw it" and when ahead and rebuilt all 3 pop-bumpers. Actually rebuilding them with new parts was easy, but getting everything stripped off the playfield to get to them was a major pain in the ass. I did take the opportunity to replace all the microswitch screws with new ones while I was stripping off parts. At any rate, start-to-finish took 5 hours and I'm beat. Now the new ramp will be a simple swap out when that arrives.

Finally nearing the end of the internal restoration:

#75 10 years ago

Couple of pro-tips after my experience with rebuilding/replacing the pop-bumpers:

1. Replace EVERYTHING you can. This includes the coil sleeves, but keep the coils if they are still working properly. I originally had attempted to clean the black sooty crap off the original sleeves, but for 50-cents a pop, I realized to just toss the old ones and use new ones from Marco. They are the 1-11/16ths sleeve FYI.

2. If the rods are old and crusty, it can be difficult to pull them free of the yokes. I found using a pair of pliers and applying pressure to the edge of the yokes and the tip of the rods causes them to pop loose much easier. Here again, everything should be replaced with new parts, including both metal and fiber yoke parts.

3. You'll have no choice but to unsolder and re-solder the lamp socket wires when doing a complete pop-bumper rebuild. I decided this was only going to happen once, so I got some extra wire length and made removable connectors mid-wire after soldering the other ends back in place. This makes it to where I can quickly unhook the pop-bumper lamp sockets next time around without having to do any soldering work.

4. Inspect the switch contacts underneath the spoons (since these are unobtainium at the moment). I used an emery board and gently polished off the black carbon off the contact heads. My pop-bumpers now react quickly and violently to any nudge by the skirt. That's what you want!

#77 10 years ago

That's why I was careful. The only thing that came off was black soot, and it was shiny gold underneath. Obviously I did it right because all 3 bumpers worked splendidly.

#78 10 years ago

BTW digging through the virtual "back alleys" of online dealer sites, I found something that will be a VERY nice part to replace for those that could use it like myself. If it turns out to be the correct part, I'll post the link here after I buy one.

#79 10 years ago

Unfortunately, the part didn't pan out. It was a DE apron, but one had no kickback hole and the other had the hole on the wrong side. I suppose the one without a hole could be modified, but I'm going to try just using a chrome paint pen to touch up the Data East logo, which is the only reason I'd want to replace the apron anyway.

In other news, the return ramp arrived from Norway and I'm thrilled with it. Zero micro cracks around the rivets, and all the tongues and tabs are shiny new looking. The decal is also fully intact and vibrant. This now makes all 3 ramps in beautiful condition. That reminds me about a pro-tip: A poorly adjusted ramp divider arm will damage the return ramp over time. The two old return ramps I have (my original and the crappy one sent from Bulgaria) both have deep groove marks from repeated hits taken from the divider arm swinging open and smacking the plastic at the corner of the curved plate. The trick to prevent this is to reposition the linkage arm setting until the coil cannot pull the arm open wide enough to make contact with the plastic. I've been doing this as a practice since I got the machine, and naturally I made the same adjustment after putting the new ramp in.

So next up, I removed the current apron and serviced/cleaned all the coils and plungers for the kicker, returner, and launcher. I discovered the plastic striker ring was missing on the returner plate, and there was some rust in a few spots. The coil also had some slight heat damage, and the sleeve was permanently stuck inside it. I went on Marco and found they had every part listed in the entire assembly, so I ordered it all, including a new coil and new sleeves for the other apron coils as well.

Current progress:

Edit: Just ordered a brand new complete lockdown receiver and bar assembly from pinball life. On mine, the bar wasn't factory original, and the receiver plate was completely covered in rust (which I had sanded off). Now once I order the side armor from Marco, I'll be pretty much down to restoring the cabinet wood itself as the last job.

Below is a list of what I call "keep dreaming" parts I'd like to get NOS versions of:

1. Long plastic art piece that runs underneath the Nell table.
2. Backglass.
3. Hat Trick target decals.
4. Apron.
5. Playfield board (not paying more than $300 for).

If I had the above, my machine would be in flawless showroom quality condition.

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from wiredworm:

As far as i'm aware you can't get hold of the plastic that runs underneath the nell table. Mine is also cracked and at the moment i'm looking at making my own repro of it.
It's quite a challenge because the size of the piece meant I had to scan it in two parts. It also means it will most likely have to be printed that way so aligning the vinyl onto the lexan is going to be real fun.
Work has kinda ground to a halt on mine of late. Need to get some bits down to the powder coaters for a price and i've still got some insert lamps that need changing over to LED's. At least it's playable in it's current state.

Mine isn't cracked or anything that severe, but I would like a fully intact paint job as mine has some yellow paint worn off in a few places. There is a shop here in the states that prints vinyl directly onto PETG plastics, so I'm considering sending them my scan of the piece (which I also had to do in two parts and splice the images together). Then they would just mail me the reproduction and I would cut the shape of it out of the sheet.

I've also scanned in the backglass in 8 segments, and I'm almost done editing the complete image in my paint program. I figure it might be worth getting a reproduction made of that as well, though I doubt the printing shops can handle printing the mirrored parts, so I may turn those into silver.

#82 10 years ago

Some pics of my latest new parts installation on my Bullwinkle machine. You can see just how much rust can happen from years of kids spilling their sodas on the glass and down into the machine on the old lockdown assembly. Also pictured is the completely rebuilt ball return assembly with all brand new parts and a new coil:

pinballrestorepics-00.jpgpinballrestorepics-00.jpg pinballrestorepics-01.jpgpinballrestorepics-01.jpg pinballrestorepics-02.jpgpinballrestorepics-02.jpg
#84 10 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I just got a really nice R&B, but every time I play it I'll think how inferior it is to yours.
Great work; fun thread to read.

You're probably referring to Russ's machine in the OP, but mine's getting there. After the new side armor and legs arrive, I'll be pretty much down to restoring the wood parts, which I'm considering doing a complete rebuild.

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Any tips for restoring the chrome DE logo on the apron?

I'm going to use a chrome paint pen to recolor it, though another option is to buy one of the aprons BAA has and drill a hole for the outlane kicker since the one they have doesn't have a hole (and another they have has the hole on the wrong side).

Be warned though that replacing the apron means replacing the stickers as well, and right now the purple 2-way level sticker that is specific to Bullwinkle is sold out.

#88 10 years ago

Using one of Russ's photos, I attempted to reproduce the lockdown stickers myself using some cheap printer stickers. It seems to work well enough. My apologies for the wall-eye effect going on in the photo. I had zoomed in a little too close and it ended up curving straight edges:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/pinballrestorepics-03.jpg

#90 10 years ago

Sure no problem, though the "Install 3 Balls" was just a text print out in Arial.

Pinball Caution Sticker.jpgPinball Caution Sticker.jpg Pinball Level Sticker.jpgPinball Level Sticker.jpg
1 week later
#92 10 years ago

I got my Krylon paint pens in the mail today. The "Sun Yellow" pen turned out to be a 100% perfect match for the yellow used in the playfield. I also got the chrome pen and painted out all the blemishes and scratches in the DE logo on the apron (ended up painting the entire logo to make it look nice and even). While not perfect, it was a vast improvement over the old beat-up appearance.

I just wish Krylon made a purple pen so I could do some touch-up work on the last remaining old plastic piece on my Nell table assembly (the others got replaced with NOS parts). I'll have to shop around and see if I can come up with one.

#93 10 years ago

Here's a pic taken with the glass on after the first chrome coat. The logo before the paint job had scratches and flaked spots all over it. You can see that it definitely is looking better.

DE logo repainted.jpgDE logo repainted.jpg
#95 10 years ago

So next I'm going to replace the apron screws with news ones. They weren't listed in the manual, so I had to measure them to find out the exact specifications:

#10-24 x 2-1/4 Machine Screw Phillips Flat Head.

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from wiredworm:

Are the ones you've got really dirty Firebrand?
Amazingly on mine they are pretty much pristine condition, but I figure that's because they're usually hidden behind the instruction cards.

Yep, pretty much every metal part was dirty/rusty. That's why I think the machine survived a flood of some sort. These screws are pretty much the last of the metal to be replaced as I've already swapped/buffed all the other nuts & bolts. My next project is to have the original coin door shipped off to be blasted and repainted.

#98 10 years ago

Hey worm, can you tell me the size of the carriage bolts used to secure the side armor? I went to replace the side armor on mine, and I discovered the bolts were rusted beyond all recognition. They in fact disintegrated when I attempted to remove the securing nuts. I want to replace them, but I can't tell what size they are. They look to be maybe 10-24 x 1-1/4 inch, but I need to be certain they are the right size of course.

Also on the apron screws, I found that 2-1/2 inchers will work perfectly fine instead of the 2-1/4, which are harder to find in hardware stores. Theses screws are secured by T-nuts, which allow for the extra 1/4 inch to pass through them.

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I replaced all the lights in the spin and win wheel with frosted LED's yesterday. Might have been a big mistake.
That thing is WAY too bright now. It's blinding. Anyone else done this?

I used Cointaker Frosted Premiums, and they are perfectly fine and easy on the eyes. However, an even better option is to use Noflix Plus from Germany. They are more expensive, but also have better color saturation.

#106 10 years ago

Which post are you needing to replace exactly? If one with a threaded top, then the first entry is what you want (#6 tip). You can then secure it with a #6 Nylock nut.

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

I need the post right behind the blue "B" target. It has a threaded top but wasn't sure about the base size. Was hoping to avoid any drilling of pf!

Then you want one with a female top. The one that looks the closest in that list is this one:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=323

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

ok thanks that gets me looking in the right direction. I think #10 is pretty big. I will check the other sites to see if there's a smaller base available

Well it might actually be the correct size. I've got to do some service work on my BOMB targets today, so I will take the opportunity to pull that post out and give you the official measurements.

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from wiredworm:

Ooops, sorry Firebrand. Not been on forum for a little while.
I can strip them out and tell you once I get home tonight.

No worries or hurries. I just ordered two of every "close enough" black bolts that Marco had in stock.

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Do you guys get a lot of airballs in this game? I think I get more than anything I've ever had! Also I've had the ball hung up here a couple times. Is there supposed to be a protector?

I've never had that happen in my game. I'd need to see a wider shot of your playfield to see if I can spot what's going wrong there. As for air balls, once in a great while I have a ball bounce clean over my flipper, but it's extremely rare.

#117 10 years ago

How is the ball ending up in that spot though? Didn't you say you don't have the left gate?

#120 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

yes it's missing the orbit gate and I'm not sure if it would stick up high enough to prevent airballs from getting by

I've got to see the rest of the playfield in that area in order to tell you what's causing it. I assume you're getting airballs off flipper shots to that area, right? Clearly the ball must be hitting something to pop it up.

#121 10 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

The pin looks great. But, which one did you do?
Brand new coin door
Cleaned and repainted coin door

You truncated what he typed:

Brand new coin door AND backbox locks.

This refers to locks on both items.

#126 10 years ago

The lane guides are correct, though Russ and I both swapped out all those metal posts up there for plastic star ones. Refer to his image here to see what we both did:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37999418@N04/7071411083/in/set-72157629437568588/

The manual has several head-scratching errors on rubber assignments, so it's pretty much guess work in a few of those spots. Russ and I both opted to stretch rubbers outward from those left lane posts, as it seems to make more sense (and we don't have any ball hangups there as a result). Also, nothing in those playfield holes as far as I can remember, though there are a few spots where nails were driven in to prevent ball hangups and other issues: Next to the bottom turbo bumper, under the slingshot art, etc.

#128 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Looks like the 3d standup targets are no longer available. Maybe a red one and that's the one that I don't need

An excellent alternative are these (blue not shown in pic but they have them):
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2097

They are exactly the same size, with the only difference being the target faces do not have the 3D extended skirt. However, I've tried them out myself and they look plenty fine and work great. I plan on using them permanently if/when my original targets crap out.

In other news, I just scored a complete pristine set of original plastics on ebay. I'm going to scan them in at 300dpi before installing them in the machine. This will effectively make my entire playfield NOS-quality with the exception of the semi-faded bomb stickers on top of the bumpers, and the playfield itself has a couple of small nicks.

#129 10 years ago

The complete set of NOS Bullwinkle plastics arrived today and I must say I'm absolutely thrilled! EVERY single piece is brand frikkin NOS! All paint is intact with no scratches and zero fading. The only mistake in the set is the two medium Nell table walls instead of a short and a medium. However, I already have a NOS short wall I got from BAA, so the issue was instantly taken care of. Attached is a pic (sorry about the grainy quality) of the pieces laid out for scanning with the blue wrapping already removed on each:

nosbullwinkleplastics.jpgnosbullwinkleplastics.jpg
#132 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Where does the R&B on bike with the two guys go?

It gets stacked on top of the grey mountains, and those cover the area where the pie display sticks out from.

#134 10 years ago
Quoted from wiredworm:

Nice work Firebrand.
Where did you manage to track down the NOS plastic set? I could really use one for mine so if you do happen to stray across one (unlikely I know) then i'd love to hear about it.
Still scouring Europe right now for the replacement parts I need but have to admit the Christmas season has kinda stopped me working on my R&B for now. Hopefully will get stuck back in in January.

I make an effort to check ebay on a daily basis, and wouldn't you know it, but an auction showed up for them. I paid $170 for the lot and it was worth every penny. I just got done scanning them all at 600dpi and I'm waiting for the zip package to finish uploading. Reproduction crews will NOT be wanting for better detail than this

Anyway. The same seller has put another auction up for an incomplete set, but now he's attempting to price-gouge based on how much I paid for the first set. I don't think he'll get much luck on that one.

#136 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcadedl:

Apologies if this was covered earlier or in another thread...here are a few R&B parts I'm looking for:
Nell plastic - need two of these
2 clear bumper caps - decals not needed, as I have a few NOS ones from the Marco decal set
Thanks in advance.
Dan

Dan, do you have two spare NOS cap decals you'd be willing to sell me? The ones on my caps have most of the red ink faded off due to years of UV exposure.

Also, which Nell plastic are you looking for? Nell herself that is riveted to the log?

#138 10 years ago

Ah I understand. I do have one spare Nell attached to a log, but it's used and so the paint isn't perfect.

Anyway, those caps are unobtainium (as is Nell). The closest you can get are red (maybe yellow) or green of the same style, and there is a clear version with an extended skirt available. I was thinking the skirted one might could be modified for those desperate enough.

#139 10 years ago

If anyone is interested in my scan package of those NOS plastics, PM me and I'll link 'em to you.

#144 10 years ago

My scans are just raw files without any touch-ups. Obviously you'd want to do some photo shop editing to remove any specs of dust or errors in the paint application before doing a print-off of them.

#146 10 years ago

I just hit hat trick twice and then the jackpot. Gives you big bucks each time.

#148 10 years ago

Yeah you have to use small thin squares. Enough to cover the center rivet impact area, but no larger. I don't think I've ever gotten any airballs, but isn't yours not using the 3D targets right?

#152 10 years ago

Question for those with the topper intact:

What size screws are used to hold it onto the 4 brackets? I found the brackets on Marco, but I need some specifics on the fasteners. Thanks if you can help!

#154 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcadedl:

What part number is the brackets...I need them too

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-6072-00

It pretty much HAS to be those, or I'm a Chinese jet pilot.

#156 10 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Wait, what? What is Bullwinkle's Treasure? Never done that.

You complete all pie colors while in Tri-ball, which gives 100 million on the right jackpot ramp at a 15 second timer. There are detailed rules in the last post of this thread:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fractured-pinball-rules-rocky-and-bullwinkle-re-re-re-visited/page/2

On another note, while installing the new plastics in my machine, I worked out a mod to prevent the star posts behind the SAVED targets from rubbing paint off the plastic floor plate. What I did was use a hobby saw and remove the top "nubs" off the three star posts. Then I sanded the tops smooth and reinstalled them. Presto! They no longer push on the floor plate! Here's a pic of a star post and the nub that should be removed (ignore color):

starpostmod.jpgstarpostmod.jpg

#158 10 years ago

So I got the topper brackets in from marco today and found out that not even 6-32 SEMS screws will fit the holes. I'm going to order some smaller sizes to see which ones will fit. I've also just won a NOS topper on ebay for $60 so that will take care of everything but the fasteners. Once again, if anyone has the topper intact on their machine, I'd appreciate any tips you can give on the type and size of fastener. Thanks!

#160 10 years ago

After doing some googling, I found vague reference that they might actually have been riveted on originally. At any rate, I've ordered some 4-40 SEMS screws at 3/8 inch and some lock-nuts for them which should fit the brackets just fine. I guess I'll find out one way or another if I have to enlarge the holes in the topper when it arrives.

#168 10 years ago

I got my NOS topper in the mail, and my size-matching for screws worked perfectly with the brackets for attaching the topper to them. First the brackets again:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-6072-00

The screws that work for attaching the topper to them:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4004-01003-06

And the locknuts:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4404-01119-00

Now all I need to do is source a correctly fitting sheet metal screw for the base of the bracket that secures the topper to the backbox. I'm guessing something simple like a #6 hex since the hole is larger in the base of the bracket, but I'll find out to make sure and report back.

#169 10 years ago

Got the assortment of screws in from Marco. The #6 Hex Sheet Metal Screw at 1/2 inch long ended up being the perfect fit for securing the brackets to the top of the backbox. The antlers are now installed on my machine after having been missing for who knows how many years. They look great!

So here is the link for the hex screws:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4106-01088-08

#170 10 years ago

The bumper caps from Ron Kruzman arrived today. After scanning them in as well as my originals, I noticed they are not the same drawings. If you look closely, you can tell they are different. Since I know my sun-bleached versions are factory original, I'm wondering if at some point somebody had replaced Ron's with a redrawn sticker kit. It's no big deal really, but it is interesting.

In other news, while I did find the rubber securing cord stashed in the cash box, I have determined that someone at some point had replaced the bottom cabinet board. Not only is there no spot on the board where an eye-hook screw used to be, but the board itself has no blue paint debris on it from when the cabinet got sprayed at the factory. This also supports all the other evidence I've found that this machine survived a flood at some point. For example, the transformer and the cabinet knocker are both covered in rust far beyond just from humid air.

Lastly, I got around to taking the wire gates apart and putting all the hardware into an acid bath (diluted with detergents and other ingredients). 20 years of corrosion melted off and left nice shiny new-looking hardware in a matter of a few minutes. I was glad to get this done as I had been putting it off for too long due to it being a major chore to strip out all those ramps and hardware.

So what's left for me to replace down the road for the playfield area is a new pie display (the white plastic on mine has a slightly brownish tinge to it from years of use), and of course getting a NOS playfield board itself to clear-coat and install. Then it's just find the holy grail of a pristine backglass and then rebuild the cabinet.

bombstickeralt.jpgbombstickeralt.jpg
bombstickeroriginal.jpgbombstickeroriginal.jpg

#174 10 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

FirebrandX, absolutely amazing odyssey you're one, bringing that R&B back from the grave.

Thanks! To be sure, this will be the first and last time I do a pinball machine this way. Next machine, I'll have infinitely more knowledge on what to look for when buying a machine as well as how much to pay. I will say though that I recently came across a professional restoration site where the guy restored an R&B machine from top to bottom for something like $5,000 +, and I was tickled to see his plastics and decals were sun-bleached. With the swap of those bumper caps, now all my decals are vibrant and new looking, and of course the complete NOS plastics to boot.

Here's the (hopefully refreshed) current shop log:

I'm going to bite the bullet and save up for the $500 NOS playfield and get it clear-coated. I might as well go the full 9 at this point.

#175 10 years ago

Oh by the way, I just ordered a full set of new 3D targets too! Pinball Center in Germany has them (and is the ONLY site that does). They are the same company that makes the finest LEDs money can buy by the name of Noflix Plus.

2 weeks later
#176 10 years ago

New targets arrived and installed! They are beautiful compared to my crusty old originals, but there was a small issue: The targets are about 1mm wider than the originals. This made them too large to slip through the playfield holes, so I had to feed them through the top and reassemble the switch stacks from underneath. It was a little challenging, but nothing the right kind of tools couldn't handle. Here's a pic of the new targets up and running:

pinballbombtargets.jpgpinballbombtargets.jpg
#180 10 years ago
Quoted from classicgamefan:

Does anyone else have this problem of the Aesop VUK sometimes launching into the left outlane? Does anyone have a fix for this?
Thanks,
Jon

Never once has my Aesop VUK done anything like that. The only way this would be even possible is if the overhead bracket deflector is bent upward, allowing the ball to be thrown upward at a higher angle. The part is easily replaced though:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-5380-00

And proper coil to use:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/090-5001-00

1 week later
#183 10 years ago

Things are slowing down on my restoration project. There's only one thing left I could buy for the playfield area, and that's the pie display Marco has. Mine has slight yellowing of the plastic, but I'm not sure that's worth forking out $120 to Marco for a new one.

Other than that, I'm down to big-ticket items and having parts sent off to be sand-blasted and repainted. Here's the current shop log thus far:

1 year later
#184 9 years ago

Marco shocked me today when I checked their stock and low & behold they have the decal set back in stock!

It seems almost too good to be true, so I ordered a set. If it looks kosher when it arrives in the mail, I'll post pics.

#185 9 years ago

Got the stickers in the mail. While not original stock, they are very well-made acrylic decals. Definitely worth it if you need new hat trick and bomb decals. Also worth it if you are looking to get a new apron and need to apply the correct purple 2-way level for it.

4 months later
#187 8 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

Does anyone have a solution for replacing the hat trick target decals? Scans, good quality photos or a good substitute?

A good substitute is the decal set offered on Marco, but they are repros. I got a set as you can see from my older post above.

2 weeks later
#189 8 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

Still looking for the 3D yellow (square) targets that go under the hat trick decals. Does anyone have a link to these targets? The manual part number is a 3 target bank instead of the individual target. Closest I've found is a yellow 3D square target for Star Wars DE and Pinball Spare Parts Australia has 3 different parts codes for the Williams version. Not sure if any of these will do the job?
Cheers!
Adam.

They are no longer manufactured. However, there is a used set on ebay. Edit: Seems the seller ended the auction. That's a shame because it had been up there for like two months!

7 months later
#191 7 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I know it's been a while, but if you're still looking Marco now appears to have all four colors in stock (here's the yellow):
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-5930-06

They look to be the ones that are 1mm too wide to fit through the bottom, just judging by the distance from the rivet to the edge of the plastic. You can see the difference by looking at the out of stock red one still listed on their site and comparing it to the new in stock red one.

So these new ones will do the trick, but you have to feed them through the top of the playfield since they won't fit the board holes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.50
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.00
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FirebrandX.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/finished-shopping-my-rocky-bullwinkle-its-hella-fun?tu=FirebrandX and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.