(Topic ID: 14681)

Finished shopping my Rocky & Bullwinkle. It's hella fun.

By RussMyers

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 191 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by FirebrandX
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinballbombtargets.jpg
bombstickeroriginal.jpg
bombstickeralt.jpg
DEDops3.jpg
DEDops4.jpg
DEDops2.jpg
DEDops.jpg
starpostmod.jpg
nosbullwinkleplastics.jpg
IMG_3667-1024.JPG
IMG_3666-1024.JPG
IMG_3653-1024.JPG
IMG_3652-1024.JPG
DE logo repainted.jpg
Pinball Level Sticker.jpg
Pinball Caution Sticker.jpg
There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 10 years ago

I replaced all the lights in the spin and win wheel with frosted LED's yesterday. Might have been a big mistake.

That thing is WAY too bright now. It's blinding. Anyone else done this?

#102 10 years ago

I have not put LEDs in mine but I was thinking about it after seeing Russ' Which ones did you use?

Also for those on edge of their seats, the sawblade is supposed to spin and as luck would have it, I found a new belt in the coin box so that's fixed. Just need to find that gate assembly for the left orbit!

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

I have not put LEDs in mine but I was thinking about it after seeing Russ' Which ones did you use?
Also for those on edge of their seats, the sawblade is supposed to spin and as luck would have it, I found a new belt in the coin box so that's fixed. Just need to find that gate assembly for the left orbit!

I used the pinball life Ablaze premium ghost-busters.....

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3212

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I replaced all the lights in the spin and win wheel with frosted LED's yesterday. Might have been a big mistake.
That thing is WAY too bright now. It's blinding. Anyone else done this?

I used Cointaker Frosted Premiums, and they are perfectly fine and easy on the eyes. However, an even better option is to use Noflix Plus from Germany. They are more expensive, but also have better color saturation.

#105 10 years ago

I need to get one of the metal posts that are at the ramp entrances. Can anyone point me to the right one?

Hoping it's one of these:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=69&pg=1

#106 10 years ago

Which post are you needing to replace exactly? If one with a threaded top, then the first entry is what you want (#6 tip). You can then secure it with a #6 Nylock nut.

#107 10 years ago

I need the post right behind the blue "B" target. It has a threaded top but wasn't sure about the base size. Was hoping to avoid any drilling of pf!

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

I need the post right behind the blue "B" target. It has a threaded top but wasn't sure about the base size. Was hoping to avoid any drilling of pf!

Then you want one with a female top. The one that looks the closest in that list is this one:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=323

#109 10 years ago

ok thanks that gets me looking in the right direction. I think #10 is pretty big. I will check the other sites to see if there's a smaller base available

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

ok thanks that gets me looking in the right direction. I think #10 is pretty big. I will check the other sites to see if there's a smaller base available

Well it might actually be the correct size. I've got to do some service work on my BOMB targets today, so I will take the opportunity to pull that post out and give you the official measurements.

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from FirebrandX:

Hey worm, can you tell me the size of the carriage bolts used to secure the side armor?

Ooops, sorry Firebrand. Not been on forum for a little while.

I can strip them out and tell you once I get home tonight.

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from wiredworm:

Ooops, sorry Firebrand. Not been on forum for a little while.
I can strip them out and tell you once I get home tonight.

No worries or hurries. I just ordered two of every "close enough" black bolts that Marco had in stock.

#113 10 years ago

Do you guys get a lot of airballs in this game? I think I get more than anything I've ever had! Also I've had the ball hung up here a couple times. Is there supposed to be a protector?

IMG_3652-1024.JPGIMG_3652-1024.JPG
#114 10 years ago

If I've ever had an airball, I don't remember it.

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Do you guys get a lot of airballs in this game? I think I get more than anything I've ever had! Also I've had the ball hung up here a couple times. Is there supposed to be a protector?

I've never had that happen in my game. I'd need to see a wider shot of your playfield to see if I can spot what's going wrong there. As for air balls, once in a great while I have a ball bounce clean over my flipper, but it's extremely rare.

#116 10 years ago

That's a repro ramp on the right. I think the flange may need to be shaved down a little

It needs to be shopped. I'm still in the discovery phase tho

#117 10 years ago

How is the ball ending up in that spot though? Didn't you say you don't have the left gate?

#118 10 years ago

yes it's missing the orbit gate and I'm not sure if it would stick up high enough to prevent airballs from getting by

#119 10 years ago

The pin looks great. But, which one did you do?

Brand new coin door
Cleaned and repainted coin door

#120 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

yes it's missing the orbit gate and I'm not sure if it would stick up high enough to prevent airballs from getting by

I've got to see the rest of the playfield in that area in order to tell you what's causing it. I assume you're getting airballs off flipper shots to that area, right? Clearly the ball must be hitting something to pop it up.

#121 10 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

The pin looks great. But, which one did you do?
Brand new coin door
Cleaned and repainted coin door

You truncated what he typed:

Brand new coin door AND backbox locks.

This refers to locks on both items.

#122 10 years ago

From what I can tell the airballs are often from hard shots to the BOMB targets. They probably need to be replaced. There is also the wrong post behind the left B target which causes them too.

#123 10 years ago

I get frequent hangups to the left of the lanes. Can you take a look at these pics and tell me if the parts here are correct?

edit: also the lanes are the narrowest I've ever had. The ball barely squeezes through. It makes me wonder if the guides are wrong.

IMG_3653-1024.JPGIMG_3653-1024.JPG

#124 10 years ago

One more question. Is there supposed to be something in these holes?

IMG_3666-1024.JPGIMG_3666-1024.JPG IMG_3667-1024.JPGIMG_3667-1024.JPG
#125 10 years ago

One last question (for now). Any recommendations for blue cabinet paint touchups? Anyone tried this place:
http://www.pinballuniverse.com/PinballPaints.htm

#126 10 years ago

The lane guides are correct, though Russ and I both swapped out all those metal posts up there for plastic star ones. Refer to his image here to see what we both did:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37999418@N04/7071411083/in/set-72157629437568588/

The manual has several head-scratching errors on rubber assignments, so it's pretty much guess work in a few of those spots. Russ and I both opted to stretch rubbers outward from those left lane posts, as it seems to make more sense (and we don't have any ball hangups there as a result). Also, nothing in those playfield holes as far as I can remember, though there are a few spots where nails were driven in to prevent ball hangups and other issues: Next to the bottom turbo bumper, under the slingshot art, etc.

#127 10 years ago

Ah yeah I see how you guys did that with the rubbers. Looks like a great solution.

Still making my shopout list and checking it thrice. Looks like the 3d standup targets are no longer available. Maybe a red one and that's the one that I don't need

Quoted from tamoore:

I used the pinball life Ablaze premium ghost-busters.....
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3212

Have you tried them in GI? Was considering them there and wondering if they get good light dispersion.

#128 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Looks like the 3d standup targets are no longer available. Maybe a red one and that's the one that I don't need

An excellent alternative are these (blue not shown in pic but they have them):
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2097

They are exactly the same size, with the only difference being the target faces do not have the 3D extended skirt. However, I've tried them out myself and they look plenty fine and work great. I plan on using them permanently if/when my original targets crap out.

In other news, I just scored a complete pristine set of original plastics on ebay. I'm going to scan them in at 300dpi before installing them in the machine. This will effectively make my entire playfield NOS-quality with the exception of the semi-faded bomb stickers on top of the bumpers, and the playfield itself has a couple of small nicks.

#129 10 years ago

The complete set of NOS Bullwinkle plastics arrived today and I must say I'm absolutely thrilled! EVERY single piece is brand frikkin NOS! All paint is intact with no scratches and zero fading. The only mistake in the set is the two medium Nell table walls instead of a short and a medium. However, I already have a NOS short wall I got from BAA, so the issue was instantly taken care of. Attached is a pic (sorry about the grainy quality) of the pieces laid out for scanning with the blue wrapping already removed on each:

nosbullwinkleplastics.jpgnosbullwinkleplastics.jpg
#130 10 years ago

Looks great. Really liked this show as a child. Have not found the right deal locally to own this one yet.

Enjoy.

#131 10 years ago

Where does the R&B on bike with the two guys go?

#132 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Where does the R&B on bike with the two guys go?

It gets stacked on top of the grey mountains, and those cover the area where the pie display sticks out from.

#133 10 years ago

Nice work Firebrand.

Where did you manage to track down the NOS plastic set? I could really use one for mine so if you do happen to stray across one (unlikely I know) then i'd love to hear about it.

Still scouring Europe right now for the replacement parts I need but have to admit the Christmas season has kinda stopped me working on my R&B for now. Hopefully will get stuck back in in January.

#134 10 years ago
Quoted from wiredworm:

Nice work Firebrand.
Where did you manage to track down the NOS plastic set? I could really use one for mine so if you do happen to stray across one (unlikely I know) then i'd love to hear about it.
Still scouring Europe right now for the replacement parts I need but have to admit the Christmas season has kinda stopped me working on my R&B for now. Hopefully will get stuck back in in January.

I make an effort to check ebay on a daily basis, and wouldn't you know it, but an auction showed up for them. I paid $170 for the lot and it was worth every penny. I just got done scanning them all at 600dpi and I'm waiting for the zip package to finish uploading. Reproduction crews will NOT be wanting for better detail than this

Anyway. The same seller has put another auction up for an incomplete set, but now he's attempting to price-gouge based on how much I paid for the first set. I don't think he'll get much luck on that one.

#135 10 years ago

Apologies if this was covered earlier or in another thread...here are a few R&B parts I'm looking for:
Nell plastic - need two of these
2 clear bumper caps - decals not needed, as I have a few NOS ones from the Marco decal set
Thanks in advance.
Dan

#136 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcadedl:

Apologies if this was covered earlier or in another thread...here are a few R&B parts I'm looking for:
Nell plastic - need two of these
2 clear bumper caps - decals not needed, as I have a few NOS ones from the Marco decal set
Thanks in advance.
Dan

Dan, do you have two spare NOS cap decals you'd be willing to sell me? The ones on my caps have most of the red ink faded off due to years of UV exposure.

Also, which Nell plastic are you looking for? Nell herself that is riveted to the log?

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from FirebrandX:

Dan, do you have two spare NOS cap decals you'd be willing to sell me? The ones on my caps have most of the red ink faded off due to years of UV exposure.

Also, which Nell plastic are you looking for? Nell herself that is riveted to the log?

I just have two of the cap decals, that I'm planning to put on caps when I get some...I have a second project R&B game that is missing the caps altogether.

and yes, the Nell plastic revited to the log.
Dan

#138 10 years ago

Ah I understand. I do have one spare Nell attached to a log, but it's used and so the paint isn't perfect.

Anyway, those caps are unobtainium (as is Nell). The closest you can get are red (maybe yellow) or green of the same style, and there is a clear version with an extended skirt available. I was thinking the skirted one might could be modified for those desperate enough.

#139 10 years ago

If anyone is interested in my scan package of those NOS plastics, PM me and I'll link 'em to you.

#140 10 years ago

Joining this thread thanks to FirebrandX's coaching!

I am not restoring my R+B so much as I am trying to get it playing 100% and looking as nice as possible, without breaking any banks.

When I got mine there was some connectors that needed fixing, both in the backbox and under the playfield.
Installed a new Boris button, outhole kicker, a new SAVED decal, and a tasteful selection of LEDs. I fixed the hat-trick mechanism and got the repop Lion that was on ebay.
After cleaning the flippers, it plays 100% and amazing.

My machine doesn't have the Nell mechanism inside, and considering it's history, good riddance. I've seen one in action, and for all the grief it has caused collectors, it is a bit unremarkable for my liking. Understandably, YMMV.

I ordered NOS Rocky + Bullwinkle blue cabinet paint, and that has let me touch up a few big problems on the outside.
There are small cracks on my 2 ramp entrances, but I hope to just get them repaired and secured to avoid further damage.
Is anyone able to reproduce the plastics from a scan? There are a few I would like to replace, but I'm not holding my breathe for more NOS on those to come around at a good deal.
If anyone has a spare of the "Rue Brittania" plastic, or the one above the Aesop hole, please send me a message.

Some asides:
I was at the movie theatre today and saw a poster for Mr. Peabody And Sherman. Should we expect some new renewed interest in this pin when that comes out? I imagine a slight bump in the nostalgia factor.

R+B is a touch mean. I rarely get past 200 million in a game, and that's a GOOD game! Default replay is at 300 million. Just today I got 165 million, then noticed the replay was suddenly 320 million! Jerk game, upping the points to reach even when I was just halfway there??? LOL

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

One last question (for now). Any recommendations for blue cabinet paint touchups? Anyone tried this place:
http://www.pinballuniverse.com/PinballPaints.htm

I ordered 3 oz of the blue from them. It's great, a perfect match for the blue cabinet.

#142 10 years ago

Anybody lit the Bullwinkle topper?

#143 10 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Is anyone able to reproduce the plastics from a scan?

I've managed to make a repro shooter cover for mine.

The process was:

1. Scan an existing plastic and touch up in PhotoShop (or use Firebrands images that he's offering up)

2. Mirror the image that you've scanned. We actually adhere the image onto the back of the plastic and then spray it's backside so it has to be mirrored otherwise the completed plastic will be back to front.

3. Print the image onto some clear adhesive backed Vinyl

4. Adhere the vinyl onto a piece of Lexan. I seem to think I used 1.8mm thick. You need to take your time over this part as it's easy to get air bubbles under the vinyl.

5. Cut the Lexan to shape and size. Luckily the shooter cover was just a rectangle. I'm going to have fun when I try to repro the base plate below the Nell Assembly.

6. Use some White Matt Plasticote spray paint to spray the back of the vinyl. I put 3 coats on mine.

That's it. Have to say I was quite pleased with my repro.

#144 10 years ago

My scans are just raw files without any touch-ups. Obviously you'd want to do some photo shop editing to remove any specs of dust or errors in the paint application before doing a print-off of them.

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

R+B is a touch mean. I rarely get past 200 million in a game, and that's a GOOD game! Default replay is at 300 million. Just today I got 165 million, then noticed the replay was suddenly 320 million! Jerk game, upping the points to reach even when I was just halfway there??? LOL

Hell yes to that. I find it really punishing and hard to get high scores. I think my best at the moment is around the 370M mark.

I've found the best technique for me so far has been to get multiball going and then either hit the Hat Trick followed by the WABAC ramp to get the jackpot. So long as you can keep multiball going then you can keep repeating that process. Of course the other way is go for Bullwinkles Treasure which awards 100M.

#146 10 years ago

I just hit hat trick twice and then the jackpot. Gives you big bucks each time.

#147 10 years ago

Will give that a go Firebrand.

I made life difficult for myself by fitting foam inserts behind the BOMB targets. Means it required a really good whack to register the hit now. On the plus side it reduces the air balls I was getting before.

#148 10 years ago

Yeah you have to use small thin squares. Enough to cover the center rivet impact area, but no larger. I don't think I've ever gotten any airballs, but isn't yours not using the 3D targets right?

#149 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Anybody lit the Bullwinkle topper?

Yes. Color LEDs synched with the "pie" lamps. And LEDs in the eyes of a stuffed moose above. I also used a few color changing dual flex 555s in the hat trick curtain. Those are actually cycling between blue, green, and red but it's difficult to see in the video. One other thing, I used a 12" LED light bar from Menards ($15) behind the "scenery" plastic that is in front of the backboard. I always felt things were too dark back there.

#150 10 years ago
Quoted from FirebrandX:

Yeah you have to use small thin squares. Enough to cover the center rivet impact are, but no larger. I don't think I've ever gotten any airballs, but isn't yours not using the 3D targets right?

Mine has the 3D targets. I might take another look and make sure i've not overdone the foam width.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 29.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/finished-shopping-my-rocky-bullwinkle-its-hella-fun/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.