(Topic ID: 14681)

Finished shopping my Rocky & Bullwinkle. It's hella fun.

By RussMyers

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 191 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by FirebrandX
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinballbombtargets.jpg
bombstickeroriginal.jpg
bombstickeralt.jpg
DEDops3.jpg
DEDops4.jpg
DEDops2.jpg
DEDops.jpg
starpostmod.jpg
nosbullwinkleplastics.jpg
IMG_3667-1024.JPG
IMG_3666-1024.JPG
IMG_3653-1024.JPG
IMG_3652-1024.JPG
DE logo repainted.jpg
Pinball Level Sticker.jpg
Pinball Caution Sticker.jpg
There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 12 years ago

Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends - Data East 1993

Fully shopped out machine
Everything working correctlym except the LION hat trick assy. - this is missing. Anyone got one I can have?
Everything cleaned thoroughly
Playfield polished with Novus2 and 3 coats of hard carnauba wax - no playfield damage or wear at all, all inserts level and in good condition
Full conversion to LEDs - mix of Pinballlife Ablaze and Cointaker
Super-clean original DE boards in good unhacked condition - no battery damage (new AA batteries installed)
Upgraded CPU and Display EPROMS to 1.30
Legs cleaned, refurbished and repainted
Brand new black pincab leg protectors
Brand new black leg bolts
Brand new leg levelers
Brand new coin door and backbox locks
Cleaned and repainted coin door and bolts
Brand new SAVED drop targets and new target decals and new springs
Brand new blue flipper buttons (originals were white - I like blue)
Completely rebuilt flippers - Brand new rebuild kits, Brand new DE flipper coils, Brand new DE white flipper bats
Brand new slingshot plastics w/ plastic fender washers
Brand new slingshot leaf score and kick switches (all 4)
Brand new hi-gloss pinballs (x3)
Brand new pop bumper spoons, switches gapped and cleaned
All original DE posts have been replaced with B/W - style plastic star posts
Brand new Cliffy colored post sleeves, color-matched
Brand new correct yellow DE "START" button assembly
Brand new BORIS DE ball launch button assembly
Brand new Cliffy Aesop scoop hole protector and ramp protectors on both ramps
Brand new pinballinc WABAC ramp
Brand new Bullwinkle Antler Topper
Cabinet interior is very clean - shop-vacced, painted xformer
Cabinet and backbox art in very nice condition
DE R&B - matched blue paint used for minor touch-ups
Refubished both VUKs
Brand new tempered playfield glass

$650.00 in new parts
Over 30 hours of labor

PICS:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37999418@N04/sets/72157629437568588/

This one's a keeper.

RussMyers

#3 12 years ago

The theme turns me off, but I have heard from many that it is a very good game. I have never played it, but would like to.

#4 12 years ago

Very nice. I just bought a R&B and baisicly all the parts you just mentioned. In buying my plastics I found a guy who had a repro lion and arm. When I get home I'll send you his info.

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from the_pin_family:

Very nice. I just bought a R&B and baisicly all the parts you just mentioned. In buying my plastics I found a guy who had a repro lion and arm. When I get home I'll send you his info.

That would be awesome. I really appreciate it.

RussMyers

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

The theme turns me off, but I have heard from many that it is a very good game. I have never played it, but would like to.

I guess theme is very much a matter of personal taste.

I grew up watching Rocky & Bullwinkle, so I love the theme.

I only wish they had used more of "The Announcer" voice during the game.

Does anyone know where to get replacements for the four BOMB standing targets? (red, blue, yellow, red narrow DE targets).

They all work in my game but have had the living h*ll beaten out of them

RussMyers

#7 12 years ago

Game is awesome, I was fingering the one at Mgc, but it was out of my price range. Still want one

#8 12 years ago

Looks pretty sweet, RussMyers! I've never played R&B before, but it does look fun. Looking at your pics, I really do like the artwork & colors they used on this game.

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

I guess theme is very much a matter of personal taste.

Yuppers. I used to watch the cartoon as well, but I thought this was based more on the movie that came out - no?

I would still like to put some time into it. I would likely buy it if one came up, of course, that doesn't say much =)

#10 12 years ago

It has a great nostalgic lure for me. I have never played it but why not? I will put it on the list of pins to play!

#11 12 years ago

Good job and would love to play a R&B too one day.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Yuppers. I used to watch the cartoon as well, but I thought this was based more on the movie that came out - no?

I don't think so. As far as I can see, it's 100% from the old 60's cartoons.

If only The Flintstones and Popeye were 100% drawn from the original cartoons and not from that hideous live action movie (Flintstones) or some weird "modernized" Eco-Warrior Popeye opium dream.

<sigh>

RussMyers

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

It has a great nostalgic lure for me. I have never played it but why not? I will put it on the list of pins to play!

There's one at the east gate cinema in Madison wi. Lmk when you're in town!

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

I don't think so. As far as I can see, it's 100% from the old 60's cartoons.

The artwork does a great job of capturing the 60's TV show; Aesop & Son, Peabody & Sherman, Fractured Fairy Tales, Dudley Do-Right, and Rocky & Bullwinkle.

June Furay did the voice work for both Rocky and 'Talky Tina' on TZ.

I was a huge fan of the show and our R&B machine got me started in the hobby. That pin will stay in our collection for a long time.

Steve (in Escalon, CA)

1 year later
#15 10 years ago

I'm in the process of restoring a Bullwinkle pinball I recently purchased. Although the playfield, ramps, and the hat trick backbox are in perfect working order, I got the machine for pretty cheap since the exterior cabinet paint job is pretty beat up on side and front.

So I'm just restoring everything else into pristine condition where I can. To Russ: I really like you idea of replacing the posts with colored ones. If you don't mind me asking, could you list the online places where you ordered all your parts from? I'd like to check them out myself as I may do something similar, though I will be going the black rubber route.

#16 10 years ago

I get about 80-90% of all of my parts from pinballlife.com

Terry stocks just about every general part at the best price:

Cliffy colored post sleeves
Plastic star posts
Coils and flipper rebuild kits
Rubbers
Some LEDs

Cointaker also stocks insane choices for LEDs

For Game-specific parts and harder-to-get parts:
Marcospecialties
Bay Area Amusements
Mad Amusements

LMK if you trouble finding anything.

RM

Quoted from FirebrandX:

I'm in the process of restoring a Bullwinkle pinball I recently purchased. Although the playfield, ramps, and the hat trick backbox are in perfect working order, I got the machine for pretty cheap since the exterior cabinet paint job is pretty beat up on side and front.
So I'm just restoring everything else into pristine condition where I can. To Russ: I really like you idea of replacing the posts with colored ones. If you don't mind me asking, could you list the online places where you ordered all your parts from? I'd like to check them out myself as I may do something similar, though I will be going the black rubber route.

#17 10 years ago

Speaking of cointaker, I'm not sure which I should go with. They have a game-specific kit for Bullwinkle, but I don't think it uses the anti-ghosting LEDs. I'm wondering why buy the kit when you could just directly order the anti-ghosting LEDs? Their web site is a bit confusing on all the options. It's not very well organized or "polished" web design I should say.

Anyway, I just got a brand new DMD in and installed that tonight. The original one in there was nearly 20 years old, and it was starting to show slight signs of outgassing on some animations. Now everything is razor sharp and perfect with the new display.

Thanks for the list of places you order from. I've already been ordering various parts from Marco, Mad, and Bay Area. I got the DMD for the best price at Mad Amusements. You can't beat $159 when the other sites are wanting near $200 and sometimes over $200 for one.

Post edited by FirebrandX : typos

#18 10 years ago

Just one more quick question, Russ:

How many of each color of star posts did you end up ordering to replace the boring DE ones?

Thanks!

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from FirebrandX:

Just one more quick question, Russ:
How many of each color of star posts did you end up ordering to replace the boring DE ones?
Thanks!

Dude, I've slept since then.

Star posts are so cheap I try to keep a bunch of most colors on hand.

I think on R&B I used something like:

Clear x15-20
Blue x15-20
Red x4
Yellow (maybe one or two?)

That's about right.

RM

#20 10 years ago

You slept since then?

Thanks man. I'll just order like 25 of each clear and blue, and then 5x red and yellow should cover everything. I'm doing pretty much the same job on my machine as yours, except I'm going with white flipper buttons like the originals. While blue is my favorite color, the white ones seem to match the overall scheme better and pop more.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from FirebrandX:

You slept since then?
Thanks man. I'll just order like 25 of each clear and blue, and then 5x red and yellow should cover everything. I'm doing pretty much the same job on my machine as yours, except I'm going with white flipper buttons like the originals. While blue is my favorite color, the white ones seem to match the overall scheme better and pop more.

I finally settled on orange flipper buttons. They almost exactly match the orangeish brown of Bullwinkle on the side art and do pop better than the blue. White is good too.

RM

3 weeks later
#22 10 years ago

One last question: Where did you get those circular plastic wafers that act as protectors on the screw posts?

#23 10 years ago

Fun game, worth the effort! I have the whole cartoon series on DVD too; lots of "grown-up" (not risque) humor in these episodes, not just for kids.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from FirebrandX:

One last question: Where did you get those circular plastic wafers that act as protectors on the screw posts?

Those are PETG fender washers:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=223

They come in different sizes.

RM

#25 10 years ago

Cool thanks! I just ordered a bunch more pieces for my restoration project. Here's a snapshot of my current progress log:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/pinballrestorationproject.png

#26 10 years ago

I also put these on my playfield.

I am NOT a fan of tons of toys all over the place, but I thought these were great, and exactly the right size. I use museum putty to stick them down - 100% reversible in 30 seconds.

You can find them on eBay, et. al. for about 20 bucks.

There are also sets of Boris & Natasha, Dudley Do-Right & Horse, etc, but just R&B was good for me.

RussMyers

R&B_Figures.JPGR&B_Figures.JPG

#27 10 years ago

My Cliffy protectors and colored posts arrived today. I just spent the last 3 hours stripping the old hardware out, dremeling off rusted parts, installing new rubbers in the stripped areas, and then finally installing the protectors and posts. I did the same theme of color-matching the bomb posts and it does look slick. For the post near the Aesop hole, I went with metallic silver.

At any rate, I was a bit shocked at all the damage that had been done to the jackpot ramp over the past 20 years when I stripped it out and inspected it closely. The Cliffy protectors now hide all the damage from view, but I'd sure feel a lot better with a new ramp at some point in the future. Unfortunately the guys that make the reproduction ramps got snake-bit after their WABAC ramp was a poor seller, and they tell me they're not going near Bullwinkle again.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Those are PETG fender washers:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=223
They come in different sizes.
RM

Edit:

Nevermind. Turns out it was blue wrap coating that can be peeled off.

#29 10 years ago

I have seen a R&B before and it was a black cab. Maybe they painted it black themselves or an early production game. I like the blue myself. You did great work their my friend!

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

I have seen a R&B before and it was a black cab. Maybe they painted it black themselves or an early production game. I like the blue myself. You did great work their my friend!

Actually a large number of the production R&Bs had a base-black cab rather than the more common blue.

AFAIK, that was requested deliberately by the European market (no idea why) and most of the black cabs went to Europe and (I believe) Canada.

Never heard of that sort of thing before, but...

RussMyers

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from FirebrandX:

Edit:
Nevermind. Turns out it was blue wrap coating that can be peeled off.

HA!

Not the first, my friend.

RM

#32 10 years ago

I had a sudden bout of inspiration concerning the Red B.O.M.B. target's rear post. At first I went with Russ's idea of using a red star post, but it just didn't match as well as Cliffy's colored rubber posts do. So it occurred to me to try slicing a Cliffy post and force-fitting both ends on the original DE metal post. Although a bit crude of a prototype, the effect worked perfectly! Here are some pics of the modified post:

bullwinkleredbombpost01.jpgbullwinkleredbombpost01.jpg bullwinkleredbombpost02.jpgbullwinkleredbombpost02.jpg bullwinkleredbombpost03.jpgbullwinkleredbombpost03.jpg

#33 10 years ago

Beautiful. I did the same thing on my Judge Dredd subway posts and it REALLY helps keep the rubber ring from getting scissor cut by the ball. Great job on the resto!

#34 10 years ago

Yeah I've been meaning to do this to my Judge Dredd. I replaced the rings by the subway and within 2 weeks it's already tearing there.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

I also put these on my playfield.
I am NOT a fan of tons of toys all over the place, but I thought these were great, and exactly the right size. I use museum putty to stick them down - 100% reversible in 30 seconds.
You can find them on eBay, et. al. for about 20 bucks.
There are also sets of Boris & Natasha, Dudley Do-Right & Horse, etc, but just R&B was good for me.
RussMyers

So I found a R&B for my collection, curious if you have a pic where you mounted the toys?

1 week later
#36 10 years ago

I got another batch of LEDs from Cointaker as I'm in the process of designing the G.I. lighting scheme now that I've got the insert LEDs completed. For testing, I had ordered warm white frosted premiums, cool white frosted premiums, cool white 2-LED premiums, and cool white super Retros. Of the lot of them, the cool white frosted premiums really stood out as the best look. If you wanted an authentic retro lighting feel, then the warm white frosteds were best for that.

Thus far, I have used blue frosted premiums under the return lanes & upper lane guides (looks awesome), and then I used pink frosted premiums in the two sockets behind the SAVED targets (also looks awesome). I used a RED 2-LED premium for the shielded light in front of the NELL table, which helps to show the danger of the situation. The rest of the G.I. in the playfield I'm just going to finish off with cool white frosteds, though I may experiment with a couple of green frosteds just to see if they work with the overall scheme somewhere on the board.

#37 10 years ago

So the one thing that's been bothering my about my restoration work on my Bullwinkle machine is the lack of options for restoring the ramps. I managed to get a new WABAC ramp installed. but the right "Ball Entrance" ramp had some severe damage at the bottom where it gets secured to the playfield. Furthermore, the metal flap for it was severely rusted. As luck would have it, I found a site in Norway that had a near perfect entrance ramp in stock! It's a miracle someone didn't snag it before me, so I quickly ordered it. Now all I need is a new decal for the "return" ramp, but I wouldn't mind just buying a new one of those as well.

#38 10 years ago

Just finished restoring the original green Wells/Gardner coin buttons (which they no longer make in green, so hold onto them if you got 'em) and installed them with green LEDs from cointaker. They look quite attractive now! I attached a pic, but it's not very clear (should've used a tripod).

Also, I purchased a new Nell table decal from Bay Area Amusements. I had to disassemble the Nell table to swap the old decal out, and I'll say that removing the Nell log was quite tricky! Nell is riveted to the log, so you have to slightly loosen the nuts, then slide the log forward a half-centimeter so the screw posts are now in the wider slot area holes. Then you have to continue to loosen the nuts while lifting the log up the posts until it comes completely off.

At any rate, the Nell table is now almost entirely rebuilt from new parts except for the long hitching post plastic and the Nell log assembly. I took the opportunity to use plastic PETG 1/2 inch washers with the top mounting screws in order to protect the decal from damage. The old decal was shredded around the screws, so the new decal was a vast improvement. The plastic washers will keep it that way.

pinballcoinbuttons.jpgpinballcoinbuttons.jpg

1 week later
#39 10 years ago

Send you a PM

1 week later
#40 10 years ago

Just got in a replacement entrance ramp from Norway, and also a set of NOS slingshot art pieces from a local dealer. Here are some comparison pics:

Bullwinklescans_-_Repro_Comparison_01..jpgBullwinklescans_-_Repro_Comparison_01..jpg bullwinkleentranceramps01.jpgbullwinkleentranceramps01.jpg bullwinkleentranceramps02.jpgbullwinkleentranceramps02.jpg

1 week later
#41 10 years ago
Quoted from FirebrandX:

As luck would have it, I found a site in Norway that had a near perfect entrance ramp in stock! It's a miracle someone didn't snag it before me, so I quickly ordered it.

I spotted that one a while back and was tempted by it, but the damage to mine is so small that I decided to use my time and money on some of the more critical issues. I dread to think what the postage to the USA was because it was pricey just getting it to the UK.

#42 10 years ago

The entire cost for it with ensured and tracked postage ended up being $90, which is still a better price than if I had found a local dealer with one. They usually charge $100 for a ramp.

#43 10 years ago

Good to hear you got it sorted at a good price. Work on mine has ground to a halt lately but i've still got plans for a number of jobs on it.

Just about to upgrade the software to v1.3 and also regap and foam the BOMB targets to make them trigger correctly and prevent air balls.

#44 10 years ago

Arakissun let me raid his R&B for all the remaining parts I needed, including a replacement backglass. All I have to do now is cross my fingers and hope nothing goes wrong with the shipping from Bulgaria.

#45 10 years ago

Replacement backglass? A NOS one or just one that's not got the nose damage?

Well done on that - it's quite a find as nearly all the ones i've seen have the same damage, mine included. Luckily mine is relatively minor so I might just do a touch up on it for now. It's probably the most I can hope for.

Make sure you post plenty of pictures once it's all done please.

#46 10 years ago

It's not NOS, but it doesn't have the severe scrapes and flake spots my current one does. Once I get everything in the mail, I'll take more pics.

#47 10 years ago

Thanks FirebranX. Damage to my backglass is relatively minor - just a single small piece is missing from the nose so i'm hopefully I can colour match it and touch it up. For now it's got a piece of tape on the inside to stop it getting any worse. I believe there's a mod I can also do that will prevent the problem from occurring in the future but i've not got around to doing that yet.

2 weeks later
#48 10 years ago

The money pit continues:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/pinballrestorationproject.png

Currently waiting on two more shipments, one being from Pinrestore.com to replace all the remaining old screws and nuts, and the other to finish off the flashers in the playfield with LEDs. Speaking of which, I tallied up the cost of my custom LED job that used all premiums, and the total came to $255 USD. That covered everything from coin mechs to the backbox.

#49 10 years ago

Might not be for everyone, but to me R&B is some of the best art i've seen on a pinball. The backglass IMHO beats out most other DMD's. If the theme were on a B/W it would be a top 10 I'm sure. Anyhoo............ opportunity for some other toys might be tied to this.

#50 10 years ago

Looking good Firebrand.

I've just got my legs, lockdown bar, side rails and backbox brackets back from the powder coaters. Had them all done in fire engine red and I must say they look pretty nice.

Will be refitting the legs later with nice new chromed bolts, felt leg protectors, new levellers and leg protectors (to prevent the powdercoat from being pinched by the bolts).

Should look nice once done. Side rails will be left off for now as I need to get new glass channels and nowhere in the UK stocks them right now. Hopefully will grab those closer to christmas.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 29.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.00
$ 27.95
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/finished-shopping-my-rocky-bullwinkle-its-hella-fun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.